DoctorJeff

Joined: 12th January 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

DoctorJeff
You can copy al the files, but they are not going to "Install".
You may find that copying them onto a folder named CS3 will enable you to run CS3 - after you have found the executable file that starts the program - but do not count on it.
When Microsoft moved to the "Registry" system, a lot of software producers started to build in some anti-piracy measures that required their own installer, and which put entries all over the registry.
I have (for example) a genuine install disk for a program that I helped develop which will only install onto a PC that has the date set to 2008. Try it once and there is an entry in the registry that records the attempt, so that subsequent date changes will not work. Software developers are sneaky people!
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Copy software one PC to another..?? at 11/01/2016 - 11:45

DoctorJeff
The problem you will hit, Vic, is that the HDD in your present PC is Drive C: and stuck in an external box it would become something like E:, or F:, or G:.
This would mean:
a - all your shortcuts would point to the wrong place.
b - any internal calls to the files on your present HDD would now point to the wrong place. Just to give you an idea, there are 114 files or folders in Lightroom 4.1 alone.
If you have a local computer shop that builds their own machines, it might be better to buy a new machine but with your present HDD installed.
This would mean that you would retain Win 7 (if that is what you use at the moment), and all your present software, and would not have to learn the PoS that is Win 10. You could have the displaced HDD stuck in an external box and use it for a backup drive.

Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Computer hdd at 29/12/2015 - 22:56

DoctorJeff
Well, if you want to buy from Kuwait, and pay the duty, and tax, and shipping, and lose all the consumer protection here in the UK (not to mention a 2-year warranty) - go right ahead.
When I tried the given link, I got a "page not found" error - so that price did not last that long ayway.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on 55-300mm at 20/12/2015 - 12:26

DoctorJeff
From Amazon's viewpoint, this has very little to do with profit margin.
Any "special offer" is sold at the same price Amazon UK pay for it - the trick is that they buy it from Amazon Luxemburg. So, all the profit is made in Luxemburg where company taxes are lower than here.
Everything else that Amazon UK sell is traded the same way.
If you think that this is verging on sharp practice, just remember that Ford were doing this in reverse with engines and gearboxes from the Bridgend plant back in the 1970s and no-one complained.
It's all about making your profit where you pay the least tax.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Amazon Lightning Deals...Predatory Pricing? at 07/12/2015 - 22:09

DoctorJeff
Reading the quote from johnx, I was reminded of a guy who used to advertise in Motorsport back in the late 50s. His business was restoring vintage cars (and I mean real pre-1930 vintage).
His theme was that he knew how to restore cars and no-one else did.
It seems to me that Mr Sweet does exactly what he does not like other people doing - using all modern avenues to publicise himself. Maybe he thinks that monochrome, slightly tilted shots make him the true and only successor to Jacques C-B
OK, so some of his stuff is quirky, so this proves what?
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Street Photography Has No Clothes at 03/12/2015 - 23:32

DoctorJeff
First one I ever bought was a 6 x 6 Dacora Royal folder.
Bought in Nienburg (on the R. Weser) in 1961.
Fed it on Agfa Isopan Rapid 1600ASA, and hardly ever had to use flash.
Ah, those were the days.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on being nosie at 25/10/2015 - 21:55

DoctorJeff
Hi back ...
If you had PS Elements, the easy way is to resize, and maybe do it twice.
First you go to Image>Resize>300dpi.
Then frantically hit Ctrl+- to get it down to a reasonable sie on the screen.
Then do Image>resize, and adjust the pixel size to whatever they want.
Picturemonkey I do not know, but it may have similar options
Alternatively, you could download GIMP as a free package from the 'net and use it like it was Elements (it was supposed to be a free equivalent to Photoshop.
Second alternative is a free program from Serif (but you may have to listen to 20 minutes of sales pitch before they give you an unlock code.
Third alternative is that you email it to someone who can do it quickly and they mail it back to you in time.
I hope you get lots of offers for this - but if you don't, you can PM me for my e-mail address, and I will do it either tonight or tomorrow.
So, you do have some options.
Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Can you help me with picture please? at 12/10/2015 - 12:08

DoctorJeff
I run an iX6550, and this has not happened to me yet.
An earlier Canon i560 (A4, and only 4 inks) started to develop a faint green cast down one side), and was replaced with the big one.
I had to go through the "re-alignment" process fairly regularly on the i560 at the end.
However, I only use the Canon for colour (and don't do much since health curtailed my activity) and do the bulk of my day-to-day printing on a Brother mono laser printer.

Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Canon ix 6550 Printer woes at 05/10/2015 - 15:12

DoctorJeff
Another vote for Tom Ang.

Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on Which book please? at 04/10/2015 - 21:41

DoctorJeff
All I can say about CC is that I bought my X-5 from them.
It was described as "good condition"; when I unpacked it I would have called it "as new", and with a very low shutter count.
It might be that the owner could not get on with it's quirks, but I find it handy.
This raises the point that you cannot know what the previous owner has done with it.
All you can do is to read the description very, very, carefully, and be prepared to return the item if it does not meet the description (and yes, CC have a fair returns policy).

Geoff

Comment by DoctorJeff posted on A few Cash Converters items at 27/09/2015 - 22:16

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo