A few Cash Converters items
Posted 27/09/2015 - 22:16
Link
All I can say about CC is that I bought my X-5 from them.
It was described as "good condition"; when I unpacked it I would have called it "as new", and with a very low shutter count.
It might be that the owner could not get on with it's quirks, but I find it handy.
This raises the point that you cannot know what the previous owner has done with it.
All you can do is to read the description very, very, carefully, and be prepared to return the item if it does not meet the description (and yes, CC have a fair returns policy).
Geoff
It was described as "good condition"; when I unpacked it I would have called it "as new", and with a very low shutter count.
It might be that the owner could not get on with it's quirks, but I find it handy.
This raises the point that you cannot know what the previous owner has done with it.
All you can do is to read the description very, very, carefully, and be prepared to return the item if it does not meet the description (and yes, CC have a fair returns policy).
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Posted 28/09/2015 - 08:09
Link
If you're going to buy from CashConverters, Cash Generator or CEX then be prepared to return the item(s). When they buy in/trade in items they don't have the same skills as most Camera shop workers and so are much more likely to miss defects (fungus, not working as should, etc.) - the problem will go un-noticed until purchased by someone
I know - it happened to me on two of the three occasions that I bought from them - additionally, one of the items I bought had a major issue that I took the trouble to document on the returns note, a couple of days later the same make and model of lens appeared at a different branch - I can only assume it sold and was returned again several times as it kept re-appearing
What's that phrase....
...Caveat Emptor
I know - it happened to me on two of the three occasions that I bought from them - additionally, one of the items I bought had a major issue that I took the trouble to document on the returns note, a couple of days later the same make and model of lens appeared at a different branch - I can only assume it sold and was returned again several times as it kept re-appearing
What's that phrase....
...Caveat Emptor
LennyBloke
Posted 28/09/2015 - 11:13
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
If you're going to buy from CashConverters, Cash Generator or CEX then be prepared to return the item(s). When they buy in/trade in items they don't have the same skills as most Camera shop workers and so are much more likely to miss defects (fungus, not working as should, etc.) - the problem will go un-noticed until purchased by someone
I know - it happened to me on two of the three occasions that I bought from them - additionally, one of the items I bought had a major issue that I took the trouble to document on the returns note, a couple of days later the same make and model of lens appeared at a different branch - I can only assume it sold and was returned again several times as it kept re-appearing
What's that phrase....
...Caveat Emptor
Argos did this with the faulty DA 70mm I bought from them many years ago. I now have one that works flawlessly If you're going to buy from CashConverters, Cash Generator or CEX then be prepared to return the item(s). When they buy in/trade in items they don't have the same skills as most Camera shop workers and so are much more likely to miss defects (fungus, not working as should, etc.) - the problem will go un-noticed until purchased by someone
I know - it happened to me on two of the three occasions that I bought from them - additionally, one of the items I bought had a major issue that I took the trouble to document on the returns note, a couple of days later the same make and model of lens appeared at a different branch - I can only assume it sold and was returned again several times as it kept re-appearing
What's that phrase....
...Caveat Emptor
The price for the 15mm is pretty good.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 28/09/2015 - 14:16
Link
Sometime ago I managed to buy a Slik Master Classic tripod from Cash Converters in very good condition for £20 odd quid. They usually sell for well over £100 new, I don't think CC knew what they had. As said, I'd be more careful when it comes to cameras and lenses.
Posted 28/09/2015 - 19:41
Link
Yeah, I bought a Sigma MF 400mm that was full of fungus from them for £50 I think it was. Quick phone call and it was arranged to be returned and full postage costs refunded back to me so even though you have to be careful and examine it upon delivery they're pretty good if there is an issue. My local CEX has a FA 50mm f1.4 for £150 that I've given the once over and it's mint but they won't budge on price
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 28/09/2015 - 21:44
Link
cardiffgareth wrote:
Yeah, I bought a Sigma MF 400mm that was full of fungus from them for £50 I think it was. Quick phone call and it was arranged to be returned and full postage costs refunded back to me so even though you have to be careful and examine it upon delivery they're pretty good if there is an issue. My local CEX has a FA 50mm f1.4 for £150 that I've given the once over and it's mint but they won't budge on price
Price seems OK to me. I paid more than that for my f/1.7 version.
Yeah, I bought a Sigma MF 400mm that was full of fungus from them for £50 I think it was. Quick phone call and it was arranged to be returned and full postage costs refunded back to me so even though you have to be careful and examine it upon delivery they're pretty good if there is an issue. My local CEX has a FA 50mm f1.4 for £150 that I've given the once over and it's mint but they won't budge on price
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 28/09/2015 - 21:47
Link
Yeah, I'm just tight!
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 01/10/2015 - 14:05
Link
I don't see any real bargains with them these days. They can pretty much find the going rate for stuff on the Bay or elsewhere. e.g - I doubt I would get £105 on here for my near mint DAL 55-300mm. Was harder for them a few years back and they could miss something but everything is checked now.
Dave
Dave
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3434 posts
11 years
Barrybados
Pentax DA L 55-300mm ED £104
Pentax DAL 50-200mm £57
Sigma 50-200mm OS HSM £59
SMC PENTAX-M 80-200mm £35
SMC PENTAX-M 80-200mm £45 (Not so great a price)
Pentax-A 50mm f2 £19,99
Ricoh HD 15mm f4 Limited £299
Pentax MZ50 w/ lens £12.99. I can't be sure but I think that is a 28-70mm on the front of it?
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT