55-300mm

Mag07

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 01:05
Guess it had to happen. For the first time - I dropped my lens.

I have two options now. Repair the one I have, or buy a new one for a fairly low amount of money - atm, they sell for less than a 100 quid brand new, WR version here - http://www.xcite.com/pentax-da-55-300mm-weather-resistant-lens-for-pentax-dslr-c... I doubt a can get mine repaired for less but just in case, thought I'd ask
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

Wildwood512

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 06:17
Oh Mags, my heart and jaw both dropped when I heard of your misfortune. 😕 Hoping you find a replacement soon.
Perhaps Santa will bring you a new lens...one can hope!!!!😄
Cheers...Donna 😊

joostdh

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 10:59
That is unfortunate to drop the lens. Your heart must have skipped a few beats.

Is that site reliable? Those prices are more than half what you would normally expect.
Pentax K-1| Pentax K-01 | D-FA 28-105mm | FA 28mm F2.8 | FA 35mm F2.0 | FA 43mm F1.9 Ltd | FA 50mm F1.4 | FA 50mm F2.8 Macro | FA* 85mm F1.4 | FA 100mm F2.8 Macro | DA* 200mm F2.8 | Pentax AF 540FGZ

Helpful

jemx99

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 11:32
Mag07 wrote:
Guess it had to happen. For the first time - I dropped my lens.

I have two options now. Repair the one I have, or buy a new one for a fairly low amount of money - atm, they sell for less than a 100 quid brand new, WR version here - http://www.xcite.com/pentax-da-55-300mm-weather-resistant-lens-for-pentax-dslr-c... I doubt a can get mine repaired for less but just in case, thought I'd ask

SRS have some deals at the moment but ends today - 199!

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f4-5-8-ed-wr-lens....

Helpful

DoctorJeff

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 12:26
Well, if you want to buy from Kuwait, and pay the duty, and tax, and shipping, and lose all the consumer protection here in the UK (not to mention a 2-year warranty) - go right ahead.
When I tried the given link, I got a "page not found" error - so that price did not last that long ayway.
Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Last Edited by DoctorJeff on 20/12/2015 - 12:27

Mag07

Link Posted 20/12/2015 - 12:46
Hmm, looks like part of the OP vanished pre-posting haha. I meant to ask if anyone of you have any idea if the lens may be 'repairable' - the issue is it stopped focusing. In auto mode it locks on just fine, but things are still not in focus. Manually, everything seems fine on screen or via the viewfinder but focus is not there either - almost as if an element inside got slightly displaced?

DoctorJeff wrote:
Well, if you want to buy from Kuwait, and pay the duty, and tax, and shipping, and lose all the consumer protection here in the UK (not to mention a 2-year warranty) - go right ahead.
When I tried the given link, I got a "page not found" error - so that price did not last that long ayway.
Geoff

I buy a lot of my equipment in Kuwait as I travel there for business several times a year; I also grew up there and that's where part of my family lives. I don't really care much where my consumer protection is, jurisdiction wise; as long as it's there. It comes with 1 year manufacturer warranty, and this particular seller offers their own extended warranty on every single item they sell; they have never failed me in 20 years. Also, that seems to be a redirection issue from the forum, the page is right where it was if you copy and paste the link

joostdh wrote:
That is unfortunate to drop the lens. Your heart must have skipped a few beats.

Is that site reliable? Those prices are more than half what you would normally expect.

Yes it is They are the largest shop of that sort in the country. An equivalent to PC World, only somewhat better managed It looks like they are trying to get rid of all Pentax stock for some reason; they only became the official distributor a year or so ago so it's a little strange but well....might as well benefit while it lasts.
Already got a battery grip and the 50mm 1.4 just couple of days ago.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
Last Edited by Mag07 on 20/12/2015 - 13:35
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.