davidwozhere

Joined: 18th August 2014

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

davidwozhere
Just for your info.

There is a Pentax SMC A series 50mm f2.8 MACRO on Ebay presently. It ends tomorrow so you better get your skates on!

I have one of these - it's absolutely the business.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Pentax A 50mm MACRO on Ebay now at 22/10/2014 - 01:28

davidwozhere
You don't need feeding stations in South Germany - the perishers dive bomb the road traffic to drop carcasses in front of vehicles. The birds have learned that it is easier to eat once their dinner has been run over! When a six foot wingspan zooms past the windscreen you get a right fright - bin there, done it, missed the birdie!

Fantastic pictures of these ones however - thanks for sharing them.

David

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Red Kite - Bellymack Hill Farm at 22/10/2014 - 01:18

davidwozhere
Assuming you are using a modern dslr, have you given the camera permission to release the shutter when a lens is set to anything other than 'A'? (manual lenses don't have 'A' so they come in this category).

There is a specific menu item towards the end of the 'capture' or 'custom' series. It is set by default to 'NO!' You need to change this to 'YES'. The menu item is sometimes listed in a very cryptic style. On the K5 it is the next but last item under 'custom'.

Once you've fixed it, you will not have any control of the aperture - it can't be done - so you will be shooting wide open.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on (manual focus) Tokina Lens Problem! at 22/10/2014 - 01:05

davidwozhere
I recently hit the *delete* button instead of the playback button and expected the confirmation dialogue to appear. (I wanted to blank the screen and return to *capture* mode).
I had also forgotten that I had zoomed the image and not restored it to normal size. I was very surprised when the image resumed its normal size instantly.
Hitting *delete* when viewing a zoomed playback image restores the image to normal size on both *ist DS and the K5. There doesn't appear to be anything about this in the manuals of either. ........ it's very convenient!

David

Comment by davidwozhere posted on When the delete button DOESN'T delete at 04/10/2014 - 01:03

davidwozhere
I just got a K5 and I was amazed at the near silent operation in contrast to my older *ist DS. The hair-trigger shutter release was a shock too!

David

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Compliments for my K5 at 04/10/2014 - 00:53

davidwozhere
Comment Image


This was taken today with a manual lens on centre point focus. The focus point was top left of the bracket fungus where it joins the log. Hold the half-press once the focus is achieved and pan around to compose the shot. It's much easier than trying to retain the focus with an auto lens.

David

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Composing your shot using manual lens at 20/09/2014 - 23:36

davidwozhere
I got hold of a Pentax A 35-70mm zoom the other day and it looks very much as if the 'Profile' version is the identical animal. The knurling on the zoom ring is slightly different and the colour of the paint in the engraved numbers is different. There is no engraving on the front ring where it would say "PENTAX SMC etc etc ". Otherwise, set the two side by side and you can't tell the difference.

David J

Comment by davidwozhere posted on "Profile zoom" 35 - 70mm lens at 20/09/2014 - 23:18

davidwozhere
Some basic theory for the numerate to explain please....

We all know that there is a lot of information engraved on lenses and there are more used to describe them. I understand the focus ring, the aperture ring and the DOF scale but I am endlessly puzzled by the basic descriptor (for example)" 1:2.8 50mm".
I know it is f2.8 wide open but I don't know the significance of the "1:" that precedes it. It looks like a ratio of some sort(?)
Similarly, in EXIF data you find "Aperture=" and below that, "Aperture value=". What is the difference?

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Explaining the numbers on lenses at 09/09/2014 - 22:46

davidwozhere
C'etait ce que j'ai dit .... cinq, quatre, trois, deux, un, BANG!

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Another pointless thread at 01/09/2014 - 00:04

davidwozhere
Like, you mean, "10, 9, 8, 7. 6...." and so on?

No, that doesn't count, it just goes BANG! when you get to zero!

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Another pointless thread at 31/08/2014 - 01:06

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo