davidwozhere

Joined: 18th August 2014

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

davidwozhere
spinno wrote:
bforbes wrote:
I think you will find it easier to remove the base plate and take the pin out. I've done it with two Vivitar and a Sigma, so it's not hard
but does that give you the satisfaction that grinding something into dust does?
Quite!

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Jammed lens on my K5 at 20/11/2014 - 00:17

davidwozhere
Johnha (above) gives us a 1st class link for dealing with this problem
A bit late for me as I used a beer can! I also got a Miranda 70-300 zoom today and found it too had this pesky pin so I dealt with it in my own way by grinding it off .....

Comment Image


It's like real surgery - keep it clean, mask it all except the work area

Comment Image


No more pin ! But the process leaves fine dust everywhere,

Comment Image


so do nothing more until vacuuming it all off

Comment Image


Here's the tell tale PK-A/ Rxxxxxxxx serial number. 'R' = Richo.

Comment Image

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Jammed lens on my K5 at 19/11/2014 - 17:56

davidwozhere
Comment Image


Thanks guys!
I didn't have a feeler and I didn't have a razor blade to hand. I did, however, have a beer can which I thought would be thin enough -- and it was.

Here is the culprit (which had engaged on the autofocus screw hole) and the saviour bit of beer can. The AF screw clearly didn't have the oomph to shove it clear but it was far enough to get the shim between the surfaces. I'd tried brute force but, as you can see, the pin is quite robust.

The moral is DON'T USE ANYTHING MARKED "KR", "PK-A/R"; and this one has "(A)P" on the aperture ring.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Jammed lens on my K5 at 18/11/2014 - 10:23

davidwozhere
Unfortunately, I don't have a feeler gauge thin enough but I've tried the others. I can't get a piece of tracing paper in the gap even so. (The screw drive isn't engaged on anything as it's a manual focus). I could kick myself - it actually says KR on it.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Jammed lens on my K5 at 18/11/2014 - 00:06

davidwozhere
I put a Sirius 28mm PKA fit on my K5 without realising it was actually a PK-R fit with that extra Richo pin. I realised I had a problen after less than 1/8th of a turn, when there was a sharp click as this pin engaged the screw hole at the 6o'clock position on the camera mounting ring. Now it will turn either way for a fraction of a turn but it's jammed on solid due to the fouled pin.

Any ideas?

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Jammed lens on my K5 at 17/11/2014 - 20:11

davidwozhere
I'm slightly confused here. How big do you want them? And why?
As John says, clicking on them enlarges them - on my monitor, filling the screen.
The only purpose I can see of having monster jobs that need loadsa scrolling to see is so that those with horrendously expensive lenses can show off and compare pixels.

I'll stand corrected if need be.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Is it my imagination or did we used to have "no. of views" for posts? at 17/11/2014 - 01:56

davidwozhere
I've got some in the garden and, believe it or not, they have aphids on them!

Comment by davidwozhere posted on November Roses !!! at 16/11/2014 - 00:32

davidwozhere
You said you were not bothered about having to focus manually. In that case, nearly all the Pentax SMC A and SMC M series are high quality and mainly inexpensive on E bay. Buy it and try it, keep it or ditch it as you will. The Ms are all manual. The As will work with auto settings provided you set the aperture ring to 'A'. It's easy to spot them as their styling is most distinctive. I have one or two auto lenses but I mainly use manuals.

Comment by davidwozhere posted on Which Pentax DSLR at 15/11/2014 - 01:24

davidwozhere
Talking of noises, somebody likes my kind of music I see - Does it sound as good upside down?

Comment by davidwozhere posted on A worrying noise from a K5 at 15/11/2014 - 00:39

davidwozhere
That's a relief then! .............. Thank you all ..... and Philip, I shall take the fat white book to bed with me very shortly. You are quite right about the introductory bits getting skipped!

Comment by davidwozhere posted on A worrying noise from a K5 at 13/11/2014 - 01:35

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo