Taynuiltpixels

Joined: 17th August 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Taynuiltpixels
Hi - I think the SR is another topic (albeit an interesting one) , I have it switched off the whole time as, unless I need to grab a photo in very low light, my understanding is it hinders sharpness at higher speeds. Re the FL setting, these are for stationary birds. I did not know it is better to have the dialed in FL below the likely zoom used for the shot, than above. Why is that though (not questioning it, my brain just needs to understand why )

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on pre-setting FL on manual zoom lenses at 30/12/2016 - 22:11

Taynuiltpixels
I must admit I am in two minds HarisF1 whether or not to sell it. I bought it a while ago when building up my collection of manual lenses when I first got my digi SLR - compared to then I know what I am doing now! - so maybe I should give it another go. Interesting to know recent prices though. Can you post any bird shots you captured with this lens to inspire me to give it another go?

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Mitsuki 400mm prime at 30/12/2016 - 17:06

Taynuiltpixels
Thinking of selling my copy of this lens (threaded with K adapter), just wondering if there is any interest. Its has a bit of fungus, is in good used condition, with original caps and soft case. PM me with offers. Lens spec see http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-rmc-tokina-400mm-f5-6.html

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Mitsuki 400mm prime at 30/12/2016 - 15:48

Taynuiltpixels
I am curious to know how others handle this conundrum. When using manual zoom lenses on my K5iis I dial in the mid way FL as best of a bad job average as, if birding, its impractical to zoom in to frame the shot, check the FL and dial it in, and expect the bird to still be there! - what do others do?

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on pre-setting FL on manual zoom lenses at 30/12/2016 - 15:37

Taynuiltpixels
Hi Lenny - please see PM

Thanks

Stephen

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on FS: Pentax SMC K 500mm f4.5 at 11/12/2016 - 20:35

Taynuiltpixels
Thanks Ronnie - that is good advice - just need a nice sunny day to try it all out

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Pentax DA 560 or SIGMA 500 APO - which one at 07/12/2015 - 21:14

Taynuiltpixels
just looked at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRlGu9T5lXk - and also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzasQOxhbKE I now realise I have been using SR all wrong - oh well always learning.

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Pentax DA 560 or SIGMA 500 APO - which one at 06/12/2015 - 19:54

Taynuiltpixels
Thanks John, -
johnriley wrote:
Pentax call it SR (shake reduction) and the in-body system seems to work very well.

But for capturing birds and other fast moving subjects it's not helpful, whether in camera or in lens. The reason is that there's a small delay whilst SR locks in and also that reducing camera shake does nothing at all to reduce subject movement.

So for fast moving subjects we still need high shutter speeds and when on a tripod we need SR switched off. In the latter case, the two second delay switches off SR and also raises the mirror two seconds before the exposure is made, allowing any mirror vibration to subside.
Just to clarify -switching off SR stops the 2 second delay as opposed to other way round?

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Pentax DA 560 or SIGMA 500 APO - which one at 06/12/2015 - 19:18

Taynuiltpixels
I always thought as Pentax bodies (k series) has IS built in there was no need for lenses to have it - hence old glass performs very well. I get stunning shots with my FA 80-320 (which has not got built in IS) -just a shame it does not have the reach.

I will also be a bit annoyed if the lens IS is critical as the person who sold me the Sigma 150 -500mm (via this forum:evil told me it would not make any difference due to Pentax body having IS - he advertised it as the latest model which it evidently was not when it arrived which is why I queried it with him. Apart from that it appeared in good nick so I decided not to insist on a refund.

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Pentax DA 560 or SIGMA 500 APO - which one at 06/12/2015 - 18:37

Taynuiltpixels
How can IS induce shake when a tripod is used? (just have a curious mind, so need to understand, not questioning the advice )

Comment by Taynuiltpixels posted on Pentax DA 560 or SIGMA 500 APO - which one at 06/12/2015 - 16:50

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo