mph555l

Joined: 9th October 2006

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

mph555l
If I was just going out to the shops to buy my first DSLR, and had never owned a SLR before I honestly think I would end up buying an entry level Nikon.

I can already hear the cries of traitor !!!!

Well, since the demise of the local camera shop (well in the Stockholm suburbs anyway) and as most of the large electronic chains here don't stock Pentax DSLRs its pretty difficult to get your hands on one and test it. Then of course if you do a little research and buy a few camera magazines to help make a decision - well often I think the newcomer is going to get the impression there are only two companies to choose between. All the others are for oddballs.

Personally I rather like being labeled an oddball.

/Ian.

Comment by mph555l posted on What would you do now at 10/07/2009 - 07:59

mph555l
Amazing stuff. The "basketball player" shot is fantastic

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Water droplets at 09/07/2009 - 23:02

mph555l
Been a few for me too I guess..

The usual missed bargains when it comes to equipment. In my case I was once offered a SMC-A 85/1.4, and one of the holly grails a SMC-A 200/4 macro. All years back when I went through a period in my life when I lost interest in photography and certainly did not think I'd ever have a use for a portrait or macro lens. Hard to believe I past them up now.

But there are other things too. All the missed photo's because I did not have a camera on me at the time and perhaps even worse I remember as a child one day my father throwing away shoe boxes full of black and white photo's from his youth because, quote "nobody is interested in looking at these old things anymore". As it turns out nothing could have been further from the truth.

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Regrets..... I've had a few. at 09/07/2009 - 21:08

mph555l
I personally don't think amateurs are swayed by the existence of expensive and exotic designs. Most I know who are new to photography and are buying a DSLR for the first time go with either C or N because "that's what the pro's use, so they must be good". I can sort of understand their reasoning when every press or sports photographer covering some event on the TV has a C or N system.

As far as lenses are concerned I think Pentax have pretty much everything covered. Perhaps they will expand the range of compact limited's. Maybe we will see the first limited zoom ? I feel there are a few small things lacking though. It took me ages to find a set of third party extension rings with the electrical contacts. Why don't Pentax make their own ? Also, I hope the 1.4x converter reappears on the lens roadmap. I would buy one of those - provided I don't need to take out a second mortgage that is.

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Your Most Exotic Lens at 07/07/2009 - 08:18

mph555l
I have the same problem. Until late last year I regularly went about with a film camera, but these days I find it hard to find the motivation. I love the big bright view finders on film cameras. I love the vivid saturated colours you can get with Velvia. Changing lenses in the field without the worry of dust on the sensor. The compact size of the ME super sized camera. The list goes on...

But...

Convenience wins every time now. Instantly being able to share photo's with friends and family - priceless.

That said I have ordered a couple of rolls of Kodachrome and live in Stockholm - very picturesque. One day this summer I plan to take a day off and do a bit of "old school" photography. Maybe it will rekindle the interest. Maybe it will just confirm it time to put some great old kit up on eBay rather than see it just get dusty on a shelf.

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Digital & Film (Nearly) in Kirkcudbright at 29/06/2009 - 12:54

mph555l
In the days of film I used the classic 28, 50, 135.

If I was to own just 3 primes today - well it would be the DA14, FA50 and DA300.

Landscapes, portraits and dare I say it plane spotting.

Comment by mph555l posted on The classic 3 lens kit at 29/06/2009 - 08:25

mph555l
My vote is for the Pentax DA 55-300. It is an excellent lens, well worth the money.

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on 200-300 RANGE at 27/06/2009 - 22:20

mph555l
I've just ordered a couple rolls to use over the summer. 72 shots for a whole summer - a somewhat different mindset required to the usual several hundred DSLR images per week.

Anybody else going to dust off a film camera and run a roll of Kodachrome though before its too late ?

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Kodak kills Kodachrome film at 25/06/2009 - 09:33

mph555l
I guess the writing has been on the wall for a long time now, so it comes as no surprise. Years ago I used to always have one body loaded with Kodachrome 64, and the other with Ilford FP4. Lots of happy memories.

Oh dear, I feel an old friend has just passed away.

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Kodak kills Kodachrome film at 23/06/2009 - 11:32

mph555l
Being one of those odd people who still dabble with film I have also made a list of favourites when I decide to go out and play. My Top 5.

A15
A20
A50 1.4
A70-210
A*300

/Ian

Comment by mph555l posted on Which 5 Lenses at 22/06/2009 - 09:32

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo