MikeyJay

Joined: 30th September 2012

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

MikeyJay
Pentaxophile wrote:
We really need to know what aperture and shutter speed you are using, and how you are viewing the images (windows image viewer, for example, is terrible for viewing high resolution images and will appear soft until you zoom in to a 100% view and then back out again)...
Try switching from auto focus and using the manual focus ring on the lens. If your focus confirm icon comes on in the viewfinder, try taking a picture.

If the results are STILL blurred, I strongly recommend you get it looked at ASAP.

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Lack of Sharpness at 12/10/2012 - 20:09

MikeyJay
davidstorm wrote:
I would guess that the auto rotating of the status screen is possibly linked to the SR mechanism, and if this is the case I suspect it could be bad news. I would get it checked if I were you.

Regards
David
No. Shake reduction icon comes on OK. I will get it looked at at some point. Still got my K7 and a shedload of 35mm gear to be joined today by a K1000

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Crash! Bang! Wallop! at 11/10/2012 - 08:47

MikeyJay
fatspider wrote:
If it's still under warranty you'd have been better off keeping quiet than announcing to the world that it fell off the tripod

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Crash! Bang! Wallop! at 10/10/2012 - 18:58

MikeyJay
Well, as long as nothing else craps out on the bloody thing, I think I can put up with it

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Crash! Bang! Wallop! at 10/10/2012 - 18:57

MikeyJay
Well, If my Pentax DSLR's pack up, I shall dust off my trusty Russian cameras, and go back to using film.

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Could someone give me some advice please. at 10/10/2012 - 15:52

MikeyJay
Last night, my KR fell off a tripod. It works okay except....my status screen will no longer auto rotate.

Any ideas?

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Crash! Bang! Wallop! at 10/10/2012 - 15:26

MikeyJay
McGregNi wrote:
I spent some time in Mr Cads in Croydon a few weeks back, and they had a fair number of Chinons, all in reasonable looking condition. I kept asking about them but I couldn't get one positive comment out of the shop guys (all older men who've been in the business for donkeys) - they wouldn't recommend any of them.

They did offer some praise for a Tamron Adaptall 135mm f2.8, which I did buy ( and they recommended the range in general). So far I'm happy with the way the lens works, it packs a real punch for the money, but I don't have any scientific comparisons to hand.

Its hard to know if there is just a lot of snobbery out there about certain brands based on on their original marketing?
Unfortunately, there IS a lot of snobbery out there. I remember fondly all the negative comments I used to get over my Russian and East German cameras of certain makes. Funny, 'coz I always got great pictures out of them. A TRUE photographer does not need the most expensive equipment to take a good photograph. I don't.

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Chinon lenses at 09/10/2012 - 12:48

MikeyJay
Not saying for one minute that Chinon lenses are BETTER than Pentax equivalents. All I am saying, based on 30+ years experience as a photographer, along with my knowledge of optics on a scientific level, is that they are as good. I don't care what ANY test report says; If you want my honest opinion, unless you pay a lot of money today, cameras in general and their lenses are of far LOWER overall quality than cameras were even thirty years ago. When stuff was made in Japan, even so called 'cut price' manufacturers such as Chinon turned out fine cameras and lenses. Today with most stuff being made in China or the Philippines, the over quality in terms of build is nowhere near as good. I will agree that my K7 is a fine camera; for £679 just for the damned BODY I should bloody well HOPE it is a fine camera. And as for 'taking notice of what people say on the net'.....well mate. If I can't pass judgement on equipment NOW after all the years I have spent as a photographer, using every type of camera from a 110 to a 5x4 sheet film model, then who can?

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Chinon lenses at 08/10/2012 - 08:01

MikeyJay
Algernon wrote:
I wouldn't take to much notice of what people say on the net,
they are competent lenses but apart from the 55mm Tomioka f/1.4's
and f/1.2's they aren't as good as say the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7's.

Just took this one with the 50mm f/1.9 on the K-5 at f/4
from jpg with a bit of sharpening, because of the reduction
to 800w had to set -10 adjustment to get the green light
properly. Also had to crop otherwise the fuschia
was too small.

Comment Image



-
Sorry mate. I am forced to disagree...

Optically, the Chinon 50mm F1.7 is as good as the Pentax equivalent. Take a look at my picture in the gallery of the pocket watch. Trust me mate. Not only have I been a photographer for over 30 years, but also have a deep understanding of optics in general, and I can assure you, that Pentax lens is not head and shoulders above the Chinon. I love Pentax equipment as much as the next guy, but I also know what constitutes a good piece of glass.

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Chinon lenses at 07/10/2012 - 16:44

MikeyJay
I look at it like this...

What camera, at one time, was pretty much standard equipment for many photographic colleges? The Pentax K1000.

And why?

Simple. The K1000 is a robust, simple to operate, reliable, workhorse that forces the photographer to THINK about every single frame. And given my own experience of Pentax cameras over the years, I do not need to be told WHY I should want to own a Pentax. A Pentax is a photographer's camera.

Comment by MikeyJay posted on Camera Reliability at 07/10/2012 - 09:56

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo