Lack of Sharpness

unnameduser

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 16:53
Hi - I own a Pentax Kr
Great camera but I just can't seem to get sharpness when taking pictures. I understand DOF etc so I'm happy it's not that. I'm using the 18 - 50 Lens that came with the kit, is it possible that this is the problem?

snappychappy

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 16:58
Hi and welcome to the forums. Can you post some examples? What settings are you using for the shots and what type of photos, landscape portrait or sport ect.
My piccies.

Vuillaume

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 20:19
Hi, welcome. Are you shooting in RAW? Did you try to mount the camera on a tripod (no SR)?
Best regards
John

PPG link
Last Edited by Vuillaume on 08/10/2012 - 20:42

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 21:04
unnameduser wrote:
Hi - I own a Pentax Kr
Great camera but I just can't seem to get sharpness when taking pictures. I understand DOF etc so I'm happy it's not that. I'm using the 18 - 50 Lens that came with the kit, is it possible that this is the problem?

Examples (pictures) with exif would be helpful in diognosis...

What shutterspeeds are you shooting at?
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 22:03
I would think it very unlikely that the lens is the cause of the issue you are describing. It is possible the autofocus is not correctly adjusted (this afflicted my first K-x very badly and it back-focussed all the time until I found out how to adjust it in the Debug Menu).

I don't know how old your camera is, but I would get it checked. As the other guys have said it would be useful for you to post some images with details of the settings and how you shot them.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Charlotte

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 22:17
When I first started using my k-r all my photos were soft - I found in the menu a sharpness adjustment which I set to sharp and that solved the problem.

I'm afraid I can't remember which menu it was in and I can't check because I can't access anything on my k-r.
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 09/10/2012 - 11:34
We really need to know what aperture and shutter speed you are using, and how you are viewing the images (windows image viewer, for example, is terrible for viewing high resolution images and will appear soft until you zoom in to a 100% view and then back out again)...
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

McGregNi

Link Posted 09/10/2012 - 17:56
Try opening your shots with this viewer program (after converting from RAW). link This Fullscreen Photo Viewer is very quick and displays images in high quality and nicely sharp.

When converting from RAW you could apply a little sharpness to make sure it is not just inherent softness.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

MikeyJay

Link Posted 12/10/2012 - 20:09
Pentaxophile wrote:
We really need to know what aperture and shutter speed you are using, and how you are viewing the images (windows image viewer, for example, is terrible for viewing high resolution images and will appear soft until you zoom in to a 100% view and then back out again)...

Try switching from auto focus and using the manual focus ring on the lens. If your focus confirm icon comes on in the viewfinder, try taking a picture.

If the results are STILL blurred, I strongly recommend you get it looked at ASAP.
It's not about the equipment; it's the results you achieve with it.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.