Mag07

Joined: 8th June 2015

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Mag07
Use Opera or AdBlock Browser. Don't know if I could function without that nowadays. The ad culture has gone nuts.

Comment by Mag07 posted on Site popups at 30/03/2018 - 15:42

Mag07
Hard to say. The handheld pixel shift is what is tempting me. Depending on how much I manage to abuse 'mark I' between now and the summer and if the price, locally, is as attractive as it was first time around, I might just buy mark II and sell the other. It's hardly a need though, more a want.

Comment by Mag07 posted on Pentax K-1 user? at 20/03/2018 - 16:31

Mag07
Oh that's great! Amazing capture.

Comment by Mag07 posted on Stay in the boat at 06/03/2018 - 19:48

Mag07
A gorgeous study.

Comment by Mag07 posted on Deceased Leaves, Close-up, Image Heavy at 03/03/2018 - 19:55

Mag07
It's the journey that counts, not the destination

Comment by Mag07 posted on New Pentax Lens Roadmap out at 01/03/2018 - 11:38

Mag07
Haha, very cool

Comment by Mag07 posted on Multiple me at 28/02/2018 - 18:16

Mag07
LennyBloke wrote:
Mag07 wrote:
The 60-250mm while covering the whole image circle, produces very soft corners on the K1. I am not a sharpness freak but this is very visible in some situations. That said, I don't understand the constant whining; usually for things, most people won't be buying anyhow There isn't a single camera in this class, regardless of manufacturer, that would not be fit for just about anything in competent hands imo. Some people would be better served shooting more and perfecting their skills, and browsing the web less. I am looking forward to the dedicated FF F4 even if we have to wait a fair while, as I don't need faster aperture and most certainly the weight that comes with it. I'd be even more kin on a FF 70-300mm and I am sure time will come for that, too.
I'm certainly guilty of this but mainly because there aren't enough opportunities to do so. As for this class of Camera - well I don't think more than a couple of percent of users get close to the true potential from their equipment (again, myself included) - but those of you who do get out more, and do stretch themselves and develop their skills, are an inspiration to the rest of us - your images and commentary on technique help us to improve.
I agree. I don't think many people can say they have perfected anything. For most of us it will always be a continuous learning process. To me that's part of the fun. I love new tech but I do realize that the only limiter is my own skill and not lack of a Sigma Art XXX For some things you do need good equipment - there are many photographic niches that use the great low light capabilities, require the insane detail, sharpness, contrast or a particular focal length - but when you are that specific in what you do, you probably pick your gear rather carefully in the first place. If you think you need something - get it/swap brands if you think your choice was not most fortunate. If you can't afford it; chances are you don't need it, imo. A want is a different beast altogether. Constructive, critical feedback is good; constant discontent that some people voice by blindly repeating what they read/overheard somewhere is another.

Comment by Mag07 posted on New Pentax Lens Roadmap out at 28/02/2018 - 12:39

Mag07
The 60-250mm while covering the whole image circle, produces very soft corners on the K1. I am not a sharpness freak but this is very visible in some situations. That said, I don't understand the constant whining; usually for things, most people won't be buying anyhow There isn't a single camera in this class, regardless of manufacturer, that would not be fit for just about anything in competent hands imo. Some people would be better served shooting more and perfecting their skills, and browsing the web less. I am looking forward to the dedicated FF F4 even if we have to wait a fair while, as I don't need faster aperture and most certainly the weight that comes with it. I'd be even more kin on a FF 70-300mm and I am sure time will come for that, too.

Comment by Mag07 posted on New Pentax Lens Roadmap out at 28/02/2018 - 11:49

Mag07
My QS1 with the standard prime. Always with me.

Comment by Mag07 posted on The Martians Have Landed! at 25/02/2018 - 14:01

Mag07
There are so many - and the more DFA's I try, the more I like 'old school' offerings - If I want pixel pipping level detail and large format prints, and I do like that for cityscapes in particular, then I find myself using the DFA 28-105mm the most. I have used all currently available DFAs and if I had the need to carry all that weight, I would buy the DFA 70-200mm; fortunately I don't; the standard zoom has no edge over the kit except if you actually need the faster aperture - as far as rendering and sharpness is concerned, there is little point to spend twice the money and carry twice the weight. For anything else, the more I own, the more I seem to use older glass.

I rarely shoot people but when I do the SMC Pentax 135mm 2.5 is all I need.
For the best 'Pentax green', be it coupled with my K1 or K3II the SMC Pentax F Zoom 1:3.5-4.5 35-70mm.
DA 35mm 2.4 for street on APS-C - plastic and indeed fantastic. I sold my first one, and few months later, very quickly bought another one. It squeaks a bit but it's great on both APS-C and FF.
SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.7, SMC Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 for general use/light walkabouts on the K1 ,
SMC Pentax M 28mm 3.5 for explosion of natural colors for landscapes and it is one of my favourite lenses for pixel shift - just a totally arbitrary opinion.

I shoot interiors with Irix 15mm - at f8 as sharp as the DA15-30mm with very little distortion, unlike the Pentax option - which for me is a deal breaker.

I only own two DA ltds and surprisingly, they stay on the shelves most times - 15mm gets busted out if I need a funky starburst/flare (non HD one).

Comment by Mag07 posted on Favourite Lens? at 24/02/2018 - 13:56

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo