New Pentax Lens Roadmap out

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 00:11
See the link HERE on photorumors.

Highlight has got to be a new HD 70-200 f4 for spring 2019! Finally it seems someone at Ricoh may be listening after all.

Mike-P

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 04:54
Well that's a good sign.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

RobL

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 07:37
1stEverPentax wrote:
See the link HERE on photorumors.

Highlight has got to be a new HD 70-200 f4 for spring 2019! Finally it seems someone at Ricoh may be listening after all.

S**t I had anticated this one from the hint in the earlier roadmap but couldn’t resist a bargain f2.8 version recently. It will be more popular with landscape photographers due to its lighter weight. OTH still waiting for the 2017 lenses so may be a while longer.
Last Edited by RobL on 28/02/2018 - 07:39

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 08:09
Seeing lenses appearing on the roadmap is clearly a positive sign, but I find it a little puzzling that the Full-Frame Prime line-up won't even be at a base level until a couple of years after the launch of the K1. I guess the relatively small size of the Ricoh design and development department means they have to keep shifting their priorities - but from a Marketing (and common sense) perspective a basic set of lenses should have been available from day one (presumably the quality FF zooms is how they covered this ?).

Personally I'm delighted with the launch of the K1 mkii (as I suspect many others are) but would have loved to see the D-FA* 85mm f1.4 within a month or two.
LennyBloke

Algernon

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 09:02
You can't blame Pentax ..... Users originally asked for a FF camera so that they could use all their old film lenses on it. They didn't ask for a FF camera plus lenses

Ricoh are supposed to have 100 people working on new lenses.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/02/2018 - 09:04

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 09:16
Algernon wrote:
You can't blame Pentax ..... Users originally asked for a FF camera so that they could use all their old film lenses on it. They didn't ask for a FF camera plus lenses :shock
--

Yep - agree with that bit, but in terms of tempting the users of other brands to switch it's not particularly appealing (yet) without a good lens line-up, especially when you consider that the K1 is still far better spec'ed in many areas than other "equivalents"
LennyBloke

johnriley

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 09:30
I hope it's all working out as fast as it can. They couldn't make 645Z cameras fast enough to keep up with demand at one point, and there may well be a limit as to how many K-1 II can be turned out. Steady growth is sustainable, whereas companies that grow too quickly can create problems for themselves.
Best regards, John

davidtrout

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 10:25
An F4 70-200mm zoom for Pentax is bound to be a popular choice. I know the equivalent Canon is hugely popular. I've had the F2.8 Pentax version for more than a year now and its a marvelous performer, gets used all the time. Downside is the weight, I lugged it up the steep embankment at Ribblehead Viaduct in the Yorkshire Dales on Saturday, clamped onto my K3. I also had the K5 and DA*16-50mm lens round my beck. not for the faint hearted. The positive side is its wonderful performance.
No doubt the F4 will be a lot lighter. But here's a question I've wondered about with some of my photo friends who have the Canon F4 70-200mm zoom: Is the quality of the F2.8 set at F4 better than with the F4 lens set wide open?
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout
Last Edited by davidtrout on 28/02/2018 - 10:30

Algernon

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 11:05
One of the other main reasons that moaners/screamers quoted for needing FF was it produced better Bokeh Since the K-1 was released I haven't seen much evidence of the better bokeh from most users

Pentax even produced a 70-210mm sharp at f/2.8 to give really good bokeh. Now the cries are for an f/4 version and sod the bokeh

The 60-250mm already exists and the main complaints about that was that it was only f/4. It only needs a baffle removing to use on FF so a 70-210mm f/4 is totally un-needed. They would be better working on something else.

--

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 28/02/2018 - 11:14

pschlute

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 11:47
I know Pentax get criticised for the lens line-up, and most of us can't wait to get our hands on a new prime, but I think the criticism is overdone.

Anyone buying a K1 now can have a DFA :

15-30 2.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
150-450 4.5/5.6

I have three of these (exception is the 70-200) and find them all excellent.

In addition there are the previous DA lenses 60-250; 200 and 300, plus the 3 FA Ltds, FA* lenses such as the 85 and the 24, plus all the wonderful lenses made over the last 40 years. That seems a pretty impressive line up to me.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 28/02/2018 - 11:49

Mag07

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 11:49
The 60-250mm while covering the whole image circle, produces very soft corners on the K1. I am not a sharpness freak but this is very visible in some situations. That said, I don't understand the constant whining; usually for things, most people won't be buying anyhow :p There isn't a single camera in this class, regardless of manufacturer, that would not be fit for just about anything in competent hands imo. Some people would be better served shooting more and perfecting their skills, and browsing the web less. I am looking forward to the dedicated FF F4 even if we have to wait a fair while, as I don't need faster aperture and most certainly the weight that comes with it. I'd be even more kin on a FF 70-300mm and I am sure time will come for that, too.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 11:58
Mag07 wrote:
The 60-250mm while covering the whole image circle, produces very soft corners on the K1. I am not a sharpness freak but this is very visible in some situations. That said, I don't understand the constant whining; usually for things, most people won't be buying anyhow :p There isn't a single camera in this class, regardless of manufacturer, that would not be fit for just about anything in competent hands imo. Some people would be better served shooting more and perfecting their skills, and browsing the web less. I am looking forward to the dedicated FF F4 even if we have to wait a fair while, as I don't need faster aperture and most certainly the weight that comes with it. I'd be even more kin on a FF 70-300mm and I am sure time will come for that, too.

I'm certainly guilty of this but mainly because there aren't enough opportunities to do so. As for this class of Camera - well I don't think more than a couple of percent of users get close to the true potential from their equipment (again, myself included) - but those of you who do get out more, and do stretch themselves and develop their skills, are an inspiration to the rest of us - your images and commentary on technique help us to improve.
LennyBloke

Mag07

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 12:39
LennyBloke wrote:
Mag07 wrote:

I'm certainly guilty of this but mainly because there aren't enough opportunities to do so. As for this class of Camera - well I don't think more than a couple of percent of users get close to the true potential from their equipment (again, myself included) - but those of you who do get out more, and do stretch themselves and develop their skills, are an inspiration to the rest of us - your images and commentary on technique help us to improve.

I agree. I don't think many people can say they have perfected anything. For most of us it will always be a continuous learning process. To me that's part of the fun. I love new tech but I do realize that the only limiter is my own skill and not lack of a Sigma Art XXX For some things you do need good equipment - there are many photographic niches that use the great low light capabilities, require the insane detail, sharpness, contrast or a particular focal length - but when you are that specific in what you do, you probably pick your gear rather carefully in the first place. If you think you need something - get it/swap brands if you think your choice was not most fortunate. If you can't afford it; chances are you don't need it, imo. A want is a different beast altogether. Constructive, critical feedback is good; constant discontent that some people voice by blindly repeating what they read/overheard somewhere is another.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

stub

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 14:11
If only the seven new Art series full frame announced today had a Pentax mount...!! Would help relieve a lot of peoples stresses,,,
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 28/02/2018 - 14:12

danofmk

Link Posted 28/02/2018 - 16:58
This is genuinely aimed at nobody in particular....

Two options:-

Option A - spend 3k on a k1 ii and one of the new full frame lenses to go with it

Option B - spend 3k (or less) on;

a photography course,
various books and studies on the subject,
various books showcasing the photography you enjoy,
Something like, a second hand K3, a couple of the Ltd primes and an old MF prime
A weekend away (or two) chosen with a view to spending two days snapping....

Which do people think they would enjoy more, and which do they think will produce end product they are most satisfied with.

It's a no brainer to me....
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.