zealousdp

Joined: 14th March 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

zealousdp
Damn, I'd HATE that if it was a new camera! It is very frustrating to live with, especially as I use old primes and chimp a lot. Changing settings quickly is how I get my best shot - many have gone amiss with this issue fussing trying to get S/A to set right!

Comment by zealousdp posted on How to clean faulty shutter wheel at 12/10/2011 - 14:12

zealousdp
Thanks, but this is definiately not a "user" problem. It jumps up and down at will when turned (sometimes going up when should be going down), skipping speeds sometimes, then back to normal, then 1/2 stop, or whatever.

Comment by zealousdp posted on How to clean faulty shutter wheel at 12/10/2011 - 13:49

zealousdp
Sorry, forgot to mention. Its an ist DS.

I was thinking of putting a little of "whatever" on the wheel outside, and just turning and turning so cleaner wipes inside.

Any ideas?

Comment by zealousdp posted on How to clean faulty shutter wheel at 12/10/2011 - 13:05

zealousdp
Hi all,

I've searched via Google, Flickr, and PUF and would still like a little help. Specifically, on my ist DS, the shutter wheel (command dial) does some strage things when turned - shutter speed goes up, or down, jumps 2 stops, same when changing aperture. I've heard cleaning with IPA or contact cleaner will solve the issue but would love some first hand experience/advise from someone here: WHAT to use and HOW to do it. Also where to buy and CHEAP (ie, ebay or similar)
Thanks in advance.
David

Comment by zealousdp posted on How to clean faulty shutter wheel at 12/10/2011 - 12:55

zealousdp
I've got a Kodak slr/n so when it comes to "ANY ISO" noise, I've started to learn to live with it since the images are SO SUPER sharp. I haven't printed many over A2 prints to see how they look in "real life" but 800iso (outdoors sunny day) at 40x30 on my K100DS looks good, even with the grain/noise. Hopeing the istDS will match that.

Comment by zealousdp posted on Great MF lenses but which body to buy? at 17/09/2011 - 14:26

zealousdp
Kudos to timothyw. Camera is just what I wanted size-wise and VF. High ISO is nice and IQ is fab! Great to meet you, hope to again. Enjoy the lens.

Comment by zealousdp posted on WANTED: ANY dslr good for manual focus at 17/09/2011 - 02:43

zealousdp
Offertonhatter wrote:


The downside? Try and find an *istDS, or someone who is willing to part with theirs (don't bother asking me, I am keeping mine....LOL)
johnriley wrote:
We were sorry in a way we disposed of our 2 *istDS cameras, they were excellent.
Thanks guys. I acquired one today and can't wait to have a good play over the weekend. VF looks great - definately better than my kodak slr/n, but not as big and bright as my Nkn D1. Still, I think I've got the best I'm going to get for portability, high ISO, VF at such a great price!

Thanks for the help, will update how it all goes.

Comment by zealousdp posted on Great MF lenses but which body to buy? at 17/09/2011 - 02:41

zealousdp
70-210mm has gone.

24mm still avaiable. Can upload pics if you want.

Comment by zealousdp posted on Vivitar 24mm 2.8 and VS1 70-210 2.8-4 BOTH MINT at 17/09/2011 - 02:35

zealousdp
Anvh wrote:

The Kr and the K5 or new in the range so not really cheap but with some luck you could maybe find a good Kx.
I did look at Kx, but I don't think it has Focus confirm (maybe a beep, though??) How good is the viewfinder?

Comment by zealousdp posted on Great MF lenses but which body to buy? at 16/09/2011 - 18:18

zealousdp
robbiec wrote:
If limiting yourself to a max of iso800, don't rule out the K20D, better VF than the KX and KR. Nicer to hold as well. K-5s VF is slightly larger but with a bit less magnification. I use the O-ME53 magnified eye cup to help really zone in as well. I personally recommend the Katzeye splitscreen if you can find one, more expensive than the competition but worth it.
Pentaxophile wrote:
I agree with Robbie. In fact if you can stretch a bit further, the K7 meters slightly better with M lenses.
Thanks all for the tips and insight.

K5/7 is way out of budget. I am still a "darkside" user as well as Pentax, so I can't afford a top-notch body.

I did consider the K20D, but its dawned on me that its a bit of a beast still to carry about much like my Nkn. Price is still £300 at last check.

What do you all think about Ooooold bodies (for size and cost reduction) - say istD/L/S? IQ from my K100DS was amazing and some some nice 20x30 prints with a 501.7.

Comment by zealousdp posted on Great MF lenses but which body to buy? at 16/09/2011 - 18:15

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo