Great MF lenses but which body to buy?

zealousdp

Link Posted 15/09/2011 - 17:37
Hi all. I've returned to pentax - yea!! Well, i hope to once i get a body for this lot.

I've got myself some super, sharp lenses:
viv series 1 A 70-105 2.8-4
smc A 35-105 3.5
smc A 50mm 1.7
smc M 50mm 1.7
smc M 28 2.8
viv A 24mm 2.8

What do you think of this lot (or some of it) for a MF only kit - I mostly shoot wide open?

Which CHEAP body whould bring out the qualities of this set (good IQ, decent at ISO 800) as well as be a pleasure to MF with - VF, focus confirm, split screen? Will be shooting wide open so want to hit focus "easily".

Thanks.

Anvh

Link Posted 15/09/2011 - 21:11
Kx, Kr and the K5 have one of the best ISO preformance of Pentax range.
With the K5 you can change the focus screen for a split screen, no idea if you can do that with the Kx or Kr but i beleive you could though, but better check it.

The Kr and the K5 or new in the range so not really cheap but with some luck you could maybe find a good Kx.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

robbiec

Link Posted 15/09/2011 - 23:28
If limiting yourself to a max of iso800, don't rule out the K20D, better VF than the KX and KR. Nicer to hold as well. K-5s VF is slightly larger but with a bit less magnification. I use the O-ME53 magnified eye cup to help really zone in as well. I personally recommend the Katzeye splitscreen if you can find one, more expensive than the competition but worth it.
My Gallery

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 15/09/2011 - 23:52
I agree with Robbie. In fact if you can stretch a bit further, the K7 meters slightly better with M lenses.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/09/2011 - 23:56
Newer bodies seem better with K or M lenses in my experience. I know my K-m is about on the money down to f11 or so, meanwhile others find they need to use exposure compensation to get it right.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

zealousdp

Link Posted 16/09/2011 - 18:15
robbiec wrote:
If limiting yourself to a max of iso800, don't rule out the K20D, better VF than the KX and KR. Nicer to hold as well. K-5s VF is slightly larger but with a bit less magnification. I use the O-ME53 magnified eye cup to help really zone in as well. I personally recommend the Katzeye splitscreen if you can find one, more expensive than the competition but worth it.

Pentaxophile wrote:
I agree with Robbie. In fact if you can stretch a bit further, the K7 meters slightly better with M lenses.

Thanks all for the tips and insight.

K5/7 is way out of budget. I am still a "darkside" user as well as Pentax, so I can't afford a top-notch body.

I did consider the K20D, but its dawned on me that its a bit of a beast still to carry about much like my Nkn. Price is still 300 at last check.

What do you all think about Ooooold bodies (for size and cost reduction) - say istD/L/S? IQ from my K100DS was amazing and some some nice 20x30 prints with a 501.7.

zealousdp

Link Posted 16/09/2011 - 18:18
Anvh wrote:

The Kr and the K5 or new in the range so not really cheap but with some luck you could maybe find a good Kx.

I did look at Kx, but I don't think it has Focus confirm (maybe a beep, though??) How good is the viewfinder?

nass

Link Posted 16/09/2011 - 18:38
K-x has focus confirm, the green hex. It doesn't have focus point indicate, the red rectangles.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Anvh

Link Posted 16/09/2011 - 18:41
The viewfinder is decent but if you want something better then it's the K5 or the K7, the K20D and the K10D also have good viewfinders.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 16/09/2011 - 23:55
I take it you want something second-hand rather than new.

For good viewfinders, then the K10D/K20D range are great, Pentaprism as opposed to Pentamirror.

There is a third camera that is all but forgotten. The *istDS. Yes it's "only" 6Mp, yes it "only" takes AA batteries, but, it is well made, takes SDHC cards (with firmware upgrade) has the Pentaprism viewfinder, unlike it's 6MP successors like the *istDL, K100D, K110D, K200D etc.

Oh and yes, from personal experience with manual lenses, The DS is far better using manual lenses than the K10D/K20D. Don't know why, but the results and focussing with old lenses are better with my DS and K-5 over my K10D/K20D. You could also try and find a Samsung GX-1S, this is basically the *istDS with a larger LCD on the back (aka *istDS2 not sold in the UK)

The downside? Try and find an *istDS, or someone who is willing to part with theirs (don't bother asking me, I am keeping mine....LOL)

Hope this helps.
Some Cameras

johnriley

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 00:00
We were sorry in a way we disposed of our 2 *istDS cameras, they were excellent.
Best regards, John

zealousdp

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 02:41
Offertonhatter wrote:

The downside? Try and find an *istDS, or someone who is willing to part with theirs (don't bother asking me, I am keeping mine....LOL)

johnriley wrote:
We were sorry in a way we disposed of our 2 *istDS cameras, they were excellent.

Thanks guys. I acquired one today and can't wait to have a good play over the weekend. VF looks great - definately better than my kodak slr/n, but not as big and bright as my Nkn D1. Still, I think I've got the best I'm going to get for portability, high ISO, VF at such a great price!

Thanks for the help, will update how it all goes.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 07:52
The image quality of the earlier cameras was fine, provided you didn't push the ISO. Like JR, I regret disposing of my *ists. They were beautifully small.

I might get another *ist D if I see one at a good price.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 08:32
George Lazarette wrote:
The image quality of the earlier cameras was fine, provided you didn't push the ISO. Like JR, I regret disposing of my *ists. They were beautifully small.

I might get another *ist D if I see one at a good price.

I'd have to agree, I'm still hanging on to my K200D which takes better pictures than me, but it does suffer alot of noise when you go beyond and including ISO800.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

zealousdp

Link Posted 17/09/2011 - 14:26
I've got a Kodak slr/n so when it comes to "ANY ISO" noise, I've started to learn to live with it since the images are SO SUPER sharp. I haven't printed many over A2 prints to see how they look in "real life" but 800iso (outdoors sunny day) at 40x30 on my K100DS looks good, even with the grain/noise. Hopeing the istDS will match that.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.