How to clean faulty shutter wheel

zealousdp

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 12:55
Hi all,

I've searched via Google, Flickr, and PUF and would still like a little help. Specifically, on my ist DS, the shutter wheel (command dial) does some strage things when turned - shutter speed goes up, or down, jumps 2 stops, same when changing aperture. I've heard cleaning with IPA or contact cleaner will solve the issue but would love some first hand experience/advise from someone here: WHAT to use and HOW to do it. Also where to buy and CHEAP (ie, ebay or similar)
Thanks in advance.
David
Last Edited by zealousdp on 12/10/2011 - 13:06

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:02
If it's under warranty then send it back (which camera?)

If not then personally I would send it in for paid repair, I certainly wouldn't be spraying anything into the command dial.

Another Pentax problem that seems to be getting more and more common.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

zealousdp

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:05
Sorry, forgot to mention. Its an ist DS.

I was thinking of putting a little of "whatever" on the wheel outside, and just turning and turning so cleaner wipes inside.

Any ideas?

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:19
There are a few threads on Pentax forums where people have had the same problem with K-r's, K-7's and K-5's (I had it with a K-5).

One of them gave details of what spray to use but I can't seem to find it now.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:41
Don't forget not to be in too much of a hurry after taking a shot. If the camera is displaying an image in review mode then the shutter dial won't work until it's stopped showing an image. Then it might give more than one jump of the shutter speed or aperture, depending on how far you turned the wheel before it was ready.

Just a thought.
Best regards, John

zealousdp

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:49
Thanks, but this is definiately not a "user" problem. It jumps up and down at will when turned (sometimes going up when should be going down), skipping speeds sometimes, then back to normal, then 1/2 stop, or whatever.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 13:59
I have seen the exact same problem on a K7. It was definitely the wheel as if you went into the menus and swapped the function of the two wheels over then the shutter speed would click up or down smoothly. Set as normally expected it would jump all over the place rather than moving in the usual increments.

Repaired under guarantee, thankfully!
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

zealousdp

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 14:12
Damn, I'd HATE that if it was a new camera! It is very frustrating to live with, especially as I use old primes and chimp a lot. Changing settings quickly is how I get my best shot - many have gone amiss with this issue fussing trying to get S/A to set right!

Hammerlee

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 15:59
I have had the same problem with my kx. I sent it to Asahi for repair I think they said the problem was a knackered sub pcb. 95 to fix.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 12/10/2011 - 17:14
I also had that problem with my K-7. One of the electronic boards had to be replaced.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.