yelvertoft

Joined: 31st August 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

yelvertoft
Unlocker wrote:
yelvertoft wrote:
5fps seems to me to be a big ask for a flashgun.
Nope.

My cousins 1D MK3 quite happily flashes at 10FPS with a standard flashgun, the flash is fully capable.
I'm surprised. My Metz 58 runs out of puff after about 3 flashes at 3fps, even when set on a low power level, and then there's a big pause accompanied by whistling whilst it recharges.

Comment by yelvertoft posted on New K-7 adopters, what's your impressions? at 14/07/2009 - 08:08

yelvertoft
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Just a thought, does it do a preflash before each exposure? If so, that might be why it has to scale back the FPS.

But thinking about it, if it's in manual, does it do a preflash at all?

Dan
Yes, it does a preflash before each exposure.
If it is in manual, it still does a preflash.
It does the same with an external flash.

I would imagine it slows down to give the flash a fighting chance of keeping up with the camera. Even set to low power level, 5fps seems to me to be a big ask for a flashgun.

Duncan

Comment by yelvertoft posted on New K-7 adopters, what's your impressions? at 13/07/2009 - 21:16

yelvertoft
johnriley wrote:
The lack of promotion does seem perplexing, but I have wondered whether it's down to available capacity to produce enough cameras and lenses and the finance being available to build new capacity.

In other words, no point going flat out on promotion if the stock won't be available to fulfill the created desire.

Just a thought.
I think you've hit on a very valid point here John. Having now had a play with a K-7, if I had to summarise the impression I came away with in one word, it would be "investment". It's not just a subtle variation on previous cameras, it looks, feels, and responds like a model from the big two. How many small incremental model changes did we see in the *istDS, and then the K10 to K20 shift? Lots. It was a series of small steps, but essentially the same building blocks underneath. Whilst I personally don't have anyproblem with this, the media, and consequently the buying public, did.

As an example, it used to wind me up when I saw a review saying that the Pentax menu design was terribly dated, and regard this as so low down the list of priorities to be near insignificant. Unfortunately, such features influence the buying public and tarnish the perception of the brand. With the K-7, it's clear that Hoya have decided to do something about it and we now have a model that is a step change from before in many, many areas.

This sort of change requires a lot of money, and, a wake up call from the top of the company. I think Pentax had previously been stuck in a rut, and didn't have the cash/kick up the backside to break out of it. Hoya have changed all that and I for one am glad of it. The Hoya investment has resulted in a good product that seems to be able to deliver.

Duncan

Comment by yelvertoft posted on Lens Prices... at 13/07/2009 - 08:56

yelvertoft
johnriley wrote:
It's always worth a look at Amazon - I found a 43mm for £250 there once.
It's gone up a bit, but not too much........ considering.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-SMC-43mm-f1-9-Black/dp/B000F8YEFO/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247316249&sr=1-69

Comment by yelvertoft posted on K-7 price dropping already? at 11/07/2009 - 13:53

yelvertoft
Photo itself is great but she looks painfully thin. Your photography is 1st class, but you must improve your catering facilities!

Comment by yelvertoft posted on Three Days in a Row at 11/07/2009 - 13:34

yelvertoft
For those shots posted in portrait format, I have to use the scroll bar on the right to see the bottom of the frame, I wasn't aware that I needed to do this at first and consequently thought some images looked a bit odd in square format with peculiar composition. First impressions count and some may not take the time, or know they have to, scroll.

Comment by yelvertoft posted on User feedback on website mods please at 11/07/2009 - 13:27

yelvertoft
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I was of the understanding that Pentax and Sigma both operated an import structure of Japan -> Europe (main central distribution point) -> individual European countries.

Because the Yen to Euro exchange rate is lousy, there's one hit there, and then the Euro to pound rate is also poor, so the UK then takes a 2nd hit on the rates there.

A direct comparison of Yen to Sterling rates doesn't tell the whole story and explains at least partly why prices have gone the way they do. Sigma stuff took a huge hike several months ago, it's taken Pentax a bit longer to filter the changes through.

Could Chris or anyone else confirm that my understanding of the import structure is true?

Comment by yelvertoft posted on Lens Prices... at 11/07/2009 - 13:20

yelvertoft
I'm sure the clothing is fine, but I can't really tell at this distance. If your aim is to show the lingerie - for the benefit of a university to mark, the star of the show has to be the clothes. If it's a fashion/clothing design course, show the clothes. If it's a photography course, then show great photography. "Know your audience".

I've got to agree with Paul (and gartmore's tacit comment), the poses are not the most flattering.

Comment by yelvertoft posted on Fashion Lingerie Shoot at 11/07/2009 - 11:25

yelvertoft
mikew wrote:
Umm, I suspect Greek trumps Yank?
Nope, not in my experience anyway. Lebanese trumps anything else I've ever come across.

Comment by yelvertoft posted on 77mm Ltd Lens at 10/07/2009 - 17:18

yelvertoft
ttk wrote:
Will the K-7 work using the K20D R/Assistant?
As the K-7 is not being promoted as having Remote Assistant capability, I doubt very much if the internal interfaces to control the hardware will be present.

"Why did they drop it?" To keep the costs down, it's not a killer feature that will attract the punters, so can be dropped without causing too many ripples. I used it a couple of times on the K10D with the laptop, more out of curiosity than a practical need, it's nice, but probably not essential for most users.

Duncan

Comment by yelvertoft posted on New Pentax K-7 Processing Software 4 at 09/07/2009 - 19:21

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo