thespirit3

Joined: 17th December 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

thespirit3
If this is in any way comparable to the K5 yet takes standard AA batteries - I suspect this will be the logical upgrade for my K-x. I've been lusting after the K5 for some time now but I really value the easily-available AA batteries (without the need for an additional bulky grip).

I'm confused though - the K30 lists 4FPS. Perhaps I misunderstand this but this would imply the K-x is actually faster (@4.7)?

For the last few months I was thinking my investment in Pentax lenses was perhaps a poor decision due to lack of future upgrade path; this is fantastic news


Steve

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Pentax K 30 at 17/05/2012 - 12:31

thespirit3
I bought a new KX, attached the kit lens and after a month or two noticed loads of dust spots on the sensor. This was incredibly frustrating as I'd never detached the lens - I couldn't understand how this much dust could suddenly appear.

I bought a generic air 'bulb' and spent ages blowing the sensor. Probably 50% of the spots were removed this way. The other 50% were stubborn.

Reading a million reports online (including scare stories) I eventually thought I'd give a wet clean a go. I bought a special swab and cleaning solution, swabbed the sensor - and success! Well, almost - one stubborn spot remaining.

Another swab this time exerting a little more pressure on the spot where I knew the dirt to be - and FINALLY - one clean sensor.

I've since bought several other lenses, regularly swap them when out and about in all types of conditions and I've never suffered a dust spot since. Very strange.

In general, ignore the scare stories - these things are not half as delicate as people would have you believe. Use a non abrasive swab and you should be ok. Personally, I won't hesitate to clean it this way again when needed.

However, only you can weigh up the cost/risk of a DIY approach.

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Cleaning sensor Kx at 19/03/2012 - 10:05

thespirit3
Something like this may help explain the link between aperture and DOF (depth of field):-

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html

Edit: Click aperture priority then move the bottom aperture slider left/right to see difference on the depth of (focus) field.

Comment by thespirit3 posted on First pictures with my first dslr camera = k-,,,,,,,need help! at 09/02/2012 - 11:57

thespirit3
I only ever shoot in raw now (K-x). It gives me much more room to correct for user error. In particular, my K-x often seems to overexpose when using my 35mm lens - I forget to account for this whilst shooting, so the RAW gives me the opportunity to alter the exposure and recover detail previously blown out.

If I was a more experienced photographer I probably wouldn't need to rely on this so much though

Comment by thespirit3 posted on New to RAW. Advice please? at 08/02/2012 - 10:26

thespirit3
In my opinion Jessops is to photography as PC World is to computing.

However, the odd store does stand out above the others; Jessops of Islington gave me impartial advice (certainly confirmed my belief the K-x was a great camera), sold me a K-x, then later sold me a lens at their online price despite me being unable to reserve it using their standard online procedure.

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Jessops Swindon (my local store); "Pentax? Wha...? Do they even still make cameras? No I don't think we do them".

I generally avoid Jessops but they can be handy when I simply must have something the same day

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Jessops bad attitude at 03/02/2012 - 23:04

thespirit3
And an interview with the designer (showing off the design):-

http://youtu.be/mrXKDrg-xy8

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Pentax K-01 at 02/02/2012 - 12:19

thespirit3
My K-x is a year old now with no signs of any issues. I've not seen many other reports of problems either. Personally I couldn't be happier - although I do wish for some additional functionality (bracketed exposures via remote IR trigger for example). For this reason I'll ultimately jump to a K5 at a later date (still wishing I'd made this purchase at xmas!).

Comment by thespirit3 posted on My kx died, I am skint is a k10d a good idea? at 02/02/2012 - 11:15

thespirit3
Apologies if this has already been posted ... but there's some additional close-up photos here:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax/1039690-pentax-k-01-smc-pentax-da-40mmf2-8...

Personally, I'm still not sure what to think. No view finder?!

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Pentax K-01 at 02/02/2012 - 10:11

thespirit3
Don - ok, I'll have to try some new generation EVFs for myself. I'm unsure how digital can surpass optical but I'm willing to give it a try.

However, I see your points regarding burst rates (assuming the media can keep up) and flash sync, cost etc.

It'll be interesting to see how things progress

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Pentax UK Interview at 19/01/2012 - 16:29

thespirit3
I'm not really sure what the point of mirrorless is, apart from smaller - which has never really bothered me anyway. A digital viewfinder (or non TTL optical) would certainly put me off.

Am I missing some other clear advantage of going mirrorless?

Right now I can't see this being much more than marketing hype. I'm not saying Pentax shouldn't be doing this - just, I think I'll ultimately still upgrade to the K5, even if prices were equal.


Steve

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Pentax UK Interview at 19/01/2012 - 16:09

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo