thespirit3

Joined: 17th December 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

thespirit3
Sprocketdog23 - have you taken a look at Darktable? It's a free Lightroom - and very impressive too. Someone on this forum recommended it to me and I've used nothing since! Fantastic bit of software.

http://www.darktable.org/

Comment by thespirit3 posted on RAW or JPG shootout (handbags at dawn) at 16/01/2012 - 15:07

thespirit3
Oops - seems I've totally misunderstood Program Mode.

After doing some research it appears Program Mode is basically Auto but with the added ability to manually alter shutter speed or aperture (with the camera then adjusting the other to compensate).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KR/KRMODES.HTM

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Program Mode / Auto Pic at 16/01/2012 - 11:48

thespirit3
I think Auto mode chooses settings based on what the camera see's through the lens (a best guess at what you're trying to photograph - a portrait, landscape etc). In program mode you specifically select for example 'landscape', the camera then adjusts aperture/shutter speed to suit conditions within the limits a landscape shot would dictate.

I did briefly try auto mode on my Kx but after getting frustrated with some very random results I quickly switched to a semi manual mode (typically aperture priority).

To get the most out of any SLR camera you'll end up using semi or full manual mode. Otherwise you're reliant on the camera deciding what's best - and this often isn't the image you picture in your head.

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Program Mode / Auto Pic at 16/01/2012 - 11:37

thespirit3
They must be announcing something at CES. I can't see them continuing with just the K5 and 645. That is, unless they're leaving the lower end to the Ricoh brand?

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Shrinking range of Pentax DSLRS at 10/01/2012 - 14:25

thespirit3
Does the manual specify a voltage? If so, any generic supply with correct connector (many come with a range of connectors than can be swapped) would be sufficient - assuming it can supply enough current. I'd have thought anything ~1.5A would be sufficient.

Maplins is probably your friend - I wouldn't expect to spend >£15.


Steve

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Mains AC adapter kit K-AC50 for K5 at 06/01/2012 - 21:16

thespirit3
Superb photo! Fantastic stuff

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Another win for Pentax at 05/01/2012 - 13:07

thespirit3
Thanks for all the comments.

I've been mere seconds away from placing an order then find something else that's made me think twice.

In particular, the studio comparisons posted here:-

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp (select K-x and K-5)

Apart from the extreme ISO shots I thought the K-X actually looks as good, if not better. I then realised different lenses (and RAW decoders) were used.

I understand the comments regarding the price likely to stabilise - although the £90 cashback will end shortly. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the new year though - with no news of a K-5 replacement I wonder what they're up to


Steve

Comment by thespirit3 posted on K-X to K-5 upgrade worthwhile? at 27/12/2011 - 22:12

thespirit3
Great advice, thanks

Comment by thespirit3 posted on K-X to K-5 upgrade worthwhile? at 27/12/2011 - 00:06

thespirit3
Hi All,

The current discounts *and* £90 cashback deal on the K5 are seriously tempting me to upgrade from the K-x to K5. However, the more I look into this and the more I read the less sure I become. Initially >£1000 of body for around £600 seemed like a phenomenal deal. The stories of great low light sensitivity, the higher frame rate, quieter shutter etc make it very difficult NOT to buy it at this price. However, I then dig further and find some articles indicating the K-X sensor is actually the better of the two and that the known issues with the K-5 are a major detraction - that even at £600 it isn't necessarily a worthwhile upgrade in terms of absolute IQ when compared to the newer (?) K-X sensor.

Basically, I'm ready to get spendy (and in a hurry due to the cashback offer ending) - I just need some reassurance that the K5 is the right decision here.

I'll be shooting raw, using my current very basic range of lenses:-

18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL
55-300 F4.5-5.8 ED
35 FA F2.4 AL

Searching google for "k-x vs k5" will list a number of articles which have resulted in my uncertainty.

I'm perfectly happy with the K-X; I'm getting great results, my own skills are certainly the limiting factor here rather than camera but I can't help feel I'll kick myself if I miss this opportunity. It's a lot of camera for the money, it seems it'll last me well into the future, plus it has the shiny 'new toy' factor

Should I? Shouldn't I? Would it be wasted on my current lenses?

Help!



Thanks,


Steve

Comment by thespirit3 posted on K-X to K-5 upgrade worthwhile? at 26/12/2011 - 23:32

thespirit3
You mention Gimp - I'm guessing you're using it under Windows though? If you also run Linux there's a free Lightroom replacement called Darktable. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Comment by thespirit3 posted on Recommendations for image editing software at 28/11/2011 - 16:35

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo