Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Cleaning sensor Kx

boudou701
Posted 13/03/2012 - 20:55 Link
hello,
noticing the same dust spot on every picture - i used the dust removal tool inside the camera but it doesnt really help - is there a way to clean the sensor without damaging it?
there is a way to leave the mirror up but i am worried about how to clean it / the right cloth to use?
thx
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Pentax 10-17mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Pentax 55-300mm
Sigma 24mm f2.8, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8
Metz 36 AF-4
--> borrow or rent Photography equipment from people around you on Needy Monkey - link
JAK
Posted 13/03/2012 - 21:00 Link
I thought I had one of those once but it was a mark on the monitor! Just dismiss that possibility first.

John
John K
surfseen
Posted 13/03/2012 - 21:04 Link
I had a similar problem on the KR recently. Consensus is that you avoid a wet wipe of the sensor, and do that only as a last resort.

A rocket blower seems to do the trick. Or you could always: https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/sensor-cleaning-43395 LOL
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
michaelblue
Posted 13/03/2012 - 21:07 Link
DON'T touch the sensor with anything but the correct materials! Unfortunately the correct stuff is ridiculously expensive...a rip off in fact, but the sensor is probably the most expensive part of the camera body so it's worth it.
Regards,
Michael
davidstorm
Posted 13/03/2012 - 21:39 Link
You can clean the sensor with a pec pad slightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol - it must be damp, not wet. Bear in mind when doing this that you will not be touching the sensor as it has a filter over the top of it. Make sure there's no dust on it first (use a blower) and wrap the pec pad around a wooden spatula with a flat end. Carefully drag this across the sensor with a very light pressure.

If you do this carefully, you will not damage the sensor. Many on here have done this.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
JamieT
Posted 13/03/2012 - 22:01 Link
Arctic Butterfly for me
K5, LTD 15 SIG 30, SIG 105.
bluenose82
Posted 13/03/2012 - 22:32 Link
I had dust on my kx sensor before xmas. I researched a lot, but before investing I bought a rocket blower from amazon for £7.99.... It worked brilliantly. Just remember to hold camera up so that mirror and sensor is facing floor so as u blow the air the dust falls out rather than getting stuck!
beginner
Posted 13/03/2012 - 23:00 Link
JamieT wrote:
Arctic Butterfly for me

"And me!"
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
bforbes
Posted 13/03/2012 - 23:15 Link
beginner wrote:
JamieT wrote:
Arctic Butterfly for me

"And me!"

And me.
surfseen
Posted 13/03/2012 - 23:39 Link
Price of the Arctic Butterfly is well over the top. I suppose it lasts a long time and is reusable. However, you can buy wet sensor wipes on E-Bay cheaply. They are on a flexible stem so that you dont accidently place too much pressure on the sensor. They are pre soaked in Iso Alcohol.

Rocket blower is cheap. I would exhaust all the cheap alternatives before buying the "butterfly"

I bought a USB vacuum. It has very little sucking power, but just enough to suck up the dust blown around by the rocket blower. Dont put the vacuum actually into the cavity, also dont put the rocket blower into the cavity too far. Ensure you have good battery power or the mirror lock may drop onto your blower, then your problems may really start.
Andrew
KR, Pentax 55-300 DAL, Pentax DA 17-55, Pentax 35-80, Generic grip, Generic remote, Nissin Flash. HISTORY - MZ 50, MZ 60, *istDS, KM, K20D, Nikon F60, Nikon F90. Large assortment of Point and shoot film and Digital, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Samyang 500mm mirror lens, Sigma lenses of all assortments. K20D now sold. Sad to see it go, but makes room for an eventual upgrade to the K5 or the K4?
boudou701
Posted 14/03/2012 - 13:37 Link
thanks guys, i had a rocket blower but cant find it, might have to buy a new one.
thx!
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Pentax 10-17mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Pentax 55-300mm
Sigma 24mm f2.8, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8
Metz 36 AF-4
--> borrow or rent Photography equipment from people around you on Needy Monkey - link
jeeess1967
Posted 14/03/2012 - 14:44 Link
Hi,

I had my K-10D sensor filled with dirt. I opted for the wet cleaning method with swab and solution. Bought it from e-bay for about £ 17 and cleaned the sensor myself. The sensor now is unbelievably clean. Not a trace of dirt. I had used about 5 swabs, so much was the amount of dirt.
If the swab leaves some residue, clean it again with a fresh swab with just one drop of the solution, with little extra pressure on the swab against the sensor. You will have it clean.

Regards,

Jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
thespirit3
Posted 19/03/2012 - 10:05 Link
I bought a new KX, attached the kit lens and after a month or two noticed loads of dust spots on the sensor. This was incredibly frustrating as I'd never detached the lens - I couldn't understand how this much dust could suddenly appear.

I bought a generic air 'bulb' and spent ages blowing the sensor. Probably 50% of the spots were removed this way. The other 50% were stubborn.

Reading a million reports online (including scare stories) I eventually thought I'd give a wet clean a go. I bought a special swab and cleaning solution, swabbed the sensor - and success! Well, almost - one stubborn spot remaining.

Another swab this time exerting a little more pressure on the spot where I knew the dirt to be - and FINALLY - one clean sensor.

I've since bought several other lenses, regularly swap them when out and about in all types of conditions and I've never suffered a dust spot since. Very strange.

In general, ignore the scare stories - these things are not half as delicate as people would have you believe. Use a non abrasive swab and you should be ok. Personally, I won't hesitate to clean it this way again when needed.

However, only you can weigh up the cost/risk of a DIY approach.
droopsnoot
Posted 21/03/2012 - 18:44 Link
I have to do something about this soon, last time I tried the camera refused to lift the mirror because it felt that the battery level was too low, even though they were almost new at the time. I will have a look around for rechargeables I think, having seen the cost of the AC Adapter.
Real name: Mike Edwards. My homage to seventies Vauxhalls: www.firenza.net

Camera - Pentax Kx, 18-55 kit lens, 18-200 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 500mm Tamron mirror
davidstorm
Posted 21/03/2012 - 22:46 Link
droopsnoot wrote:
I have to do something about this soon, last time I tried the camera refused to lift the mirror because it felt that the battery level was too low, even though they were almost new at the time. I will have a look around for rechargeables I think, having seen the cost of the AC Adapter.

Mike, I would thoroughly recommend you get some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They are brilliant and cheap on Amazon. They work extremely well with the K-x.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.