My kx died, I am skint is a k10d a good idea?

Hammerlee

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 01:53
I am very upset that my kx has turned its toes up. A few months ago the E-dial was playing up, so I sent it to Asahi. Job done for 100. Then the camera just died, no response to CPR. I am so disappointed at the quality of the build of this camera but I was so impressed at the image quality. Now it is after Christmas we are all skint, I have the chance at a K10D for 200, would this be a wise move, only 20,000 clicks. I want something with a more reliable build quality than super stunning image quality, It is no good having the best image quality if you cannot capture the image. I thank you in advance for your valued opinions, Lee

felix

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 03:55
Look for a K20D as it is a better camera in terms of build. Or wait until you have the cash and get a Kr with better IQ.
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8

apeksdiver

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 06:51
If you can find another 100 I have a K-7 body

Hammerlee

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 08:56
Thank you for your replies, money really is one of the big problems. I may have to hang on and save a bit more. The extra 100 is too much at the moment apeksdiver, but thank you anyway (unless you fancy trying to convince my wife, you may succeed where I have failed very miserably!) Cheers, Lee

apeksdiver

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 09:13
No worries I think it is going to stay as a spare body for a while yet

Julian

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 09:35
There's nothing wrong with the image quality of the K10D. In fact, I prefer it to the K20D in that respect, though of course the 20 offers other advantages.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

pentaxian450

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 10:03
Look for a K20D as it is a better camera in terms of build.

There is no difference in build quality between a K10D and a K20D. They are the same, except for the sensor. All the mechanical are exactly the same.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

steven9761

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 10:11
Why not give Pentax another go at a repair? You said that the last repair was only a few months ago, so might still be under warranty. You may be an "expert" at using a Pentax, but I think it's fair to say that you are an "amateur" when it comes to understanding the guts of the camera, so play on that fact when you send it for a warranty repair. They normally give a cost estimate for the repair before they proceed under your instructions, so it's worth a go. It also buys you a bit of time to secret your spendies from the missus, which can go towards the new camera of your choice.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 11:02
Steven is right.

One fault is unfortunate. Two are coincidence; they are not necessarily evidence that you have a lemon.

If possible, I should go to the repair shop in person and be polite but disappointed. With luck they'll do the repair free of charge.

In the days when Pentax had a repair facility at Langley, I found they would do minor repairs for nothing if you went along and talked to them.

That's probably why they never made any money!

Good luck.

G

fritzthedog

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 12:36
May not be of interest but thought I would mention it.

You could buy a new Kr + kit lens from Jessops via Quidco:

Price - 369
Quidco cash back approx 11

Sell lens on ebay 35 approx

Net cost - 323

Free delivery plus 6 months interest free credit

Admittedly - the Kr body only is 329 at SRS but thought the interest free credit may be an option
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

fatspider

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 12:45
Quote:
It also buys you a bit of time to secret your spendies from the missus

Shame on you for suggesting such devious behaviour

But I agree with contacting Asahi Photo again and at least letting them have a look.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

johnwhit

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 13:09
I have a K10D for sale if interested.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/fs--k10d--3-266-actuations--pristine--box...

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
Last Edited by johnwhit on 09/01/2012 - 13:10

stub

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 14:14
Just had the mainboard replaced in my K-x by jpss Cost 150 inc post. Not cheap but now like brand new. Love this little camera..

All I can say is it pays to be insured..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

steven9761

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 15:32
fatspider wrote:
Quote:
It also buys you a bit of time to secret your spendies from the missus

Shame on you for suggesting such devious behaviour

But I agree with contacting Asahi Photo again and at least letting them have a look.

Me, dear??.. Devious, dear??... Howwww verrrrrrrry dare you!!

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/01/2012 - 21:17
stub wrote:
Just had the mainboard replaced in my K-x by jpss Cost 150 inc post. Not cheap but now like brand new. Love this little camera..

All I can say is it pays to be insured..

Well, I don't agree, despite having had my fair share of mishaps.

Your insurance premium doesn't just pay to replace what you lose or break, but it also pays the salaries of the insurance company's staff, and all the other overheads. What's left (quite a lot, usually) pays dividends to the shareholders.

By all means insure your house and car, but most other things are best not insured. Over a lifetime you will save a lot.

G
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.