Smeggypants

Joined: 11th October 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Smeggypants
I buy what I like. Miss Smeggy buys what she likes. If we ever think each other are being rash then we'll offer a second opinion but never demand the the one doesn't buy said item.

Comment by Smeggypants posted on How do I know when it's enough? at 11/03/2016 - 08:42

Smeggypants
RobL wrote:
I believe that if you already have Picasa it will still operate but there will not be any upgrades. I bought Lightroom 6 from Amazon for a one-off payment but it will not apparently get the upgrades like a subscription service.
Not a biggie. I'm still onLR4.1. Works fine. it has one bug that won't export GPS EXIF Data unless it is saved to original file, but that's easily remedied by hitting CTRL-S before exporting

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Google Picassa is it ending? And Lightroom? at 02/03/2016 - 22:48

Smeggypants
womble wrote:
TBH, for me, 36 megapixels is the least attractive part of the package.
Same here. I would have been happier if it was a 16MP FF sensor with a high ISO and dynamic range performance to match. or indeed 2 seperate models, one for pixel peeping and one for dynamic range - Sony's A7 range has done this well

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Finally! Pentax K-1 is official... Pre-order and Open Day information at 20/02/2016 - 23:11

Smeggypants
womble wrote:
The main point of Lightroom is that it is a system for managing your images as well as editing them. If you only wanted some editing software, you did indeed buy the wrong package. I have found, however, that I do 95% of my photo-related tasks in Lightroom starting with downloading the images from my SD cards and moving on from there. Most of my images are also entirely edited in Lightroom. If, however, some form of cloning (beyond simple spot or red eye removal) is needed, I get Lightroom to drop me into my now-antiquated version of Photoshop (CS3), and once I have finished the new version automatically appears in Lightroom. One of the things I really like is being able to have multiple 'virtual' versions of the same image with different edits applied (e.g., BW and colour, toned or not toned, etc.) but only have one physical copy of the image on my rapidly shrinking hard-disk.

I agree the lack of a manual is a pain, and I hate the cloud-rental scheme that Adobe has gone with (I haven't bought into that idea yet, and will avoid it as long as I can), but once you get the hang of how it all works, it is a great tool.
What womble says

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Lightroom - is it just me? at 18/02/2016 - 17:42

Smeggypants
RobL wrote:
I use AutoCAD software for work which came with a comprehensive manual
Autocad basic is currently £1,480 a year. How much did you pay for Lightroom?

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Lightroom - is it just me? at 18/02/2016 - 17:41

Smeggypants
having seen a few introductory videos about the K-1 today, I have to say I'm really impressed. Even without the FF sensor it's well specced.

I won't be buying one for a while, but I hope it sells bucketloads and there's no production problems/recalls ala sensor stains and flappy mirrors, etc

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Finally! Pentax K-1 is official... Pre-order and Open Day information at 18/02/2016 - 01:44

Smeggypants
Algernon wrote:
£1,530 in Japan according to Ricehigh.


--
£1258 in the USA

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Pentax K1 Full Frame Specs Leaked at 18/02/2016 - 01:42

Smeggypants
The other way is to select the multiple photos first and then apply your presets

Comment by Smeggypants posted on LR- copy preset changes from one photo to multiple or apply changes to multiple images simultaneously at 15/02/2016 - 21:25

Smeggypants
I have an original K-5 and a K-5IIs. I don't find any noticeable difference in "sharpness" from the K-5IIs compared to the original K-5

I was involved in the original elongated discussions about this and no one who claimed the K-5IIs was sharper, was able to provide any evidence of this.

K-5IIs has better AF, especially in Low light and was the reason I swapped one of my K-5's for a MKII version. Only reason I got an 's' was one came up at a good price, I would have been just as happy with a K-5II

Comment by Smeggypants posted on K5IIs versus K5 at 14/02/2016 - 00:55

Smeggypants
Another thumbs up for Nik Silver Efex Pro from me. I use it with Lightroom for B&Ws.

Comment by Smeggypants posted on Recommend me LR black & white preset for wedding portraits please at 10/02/2016 - 17:17

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo