Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

How do I know when it's enough?

stein
Posted 25/02/2016 - 19:17 Link
Odd title for an odd question. I'm always "on the budget" so reducing expenses is always a subject in my book. Anyway, wanted to ask how will I know I don't need one more lens...
My first DSLR was Canon EOS 1100D (or Rebel T3 in US) and I had the 18-55mm kit lens plus a 70-300mm lens. As it was impossible for me to have a "practical all-rounder" and a DSLR (always having the wrong lens attached) I sold it and bought a Canon SX50HS prosumer. That was a few years ago. Now my finances allowed me to have both and I went for a Pentax camera. Bought the kit with the 18-55mm DAL lens and found two cheap Pentax 50mm lenses (one "A" and one "M", both f1.7) as it seemed that I need a better lens than the kit one. Shortly after that, I found a Sigma 28-300mm for a good price, then one more (new) Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens and of course, I thought I need a dedicated macro lens and now I'm waiting for a 90mm Tamron to arrive (purchased from a forum member).
To be honest, that seems to cover all my needs (not making money making pictures)... However, I realized I just keep reading reviews, browsing sites like ebay just as if my bag with them lenses isn't already crowded... Am I sick or I really need more lenses? Will it ever stop? Why do I feel that strange urge to buy another one? I didn't have that feeling with the Canon... Help? (before I waste all my money on something I don't need at all...)
SteveEveritt
Posted 25/02/2016 - 19:53 Link
That's LBA I have it too. It'll cost you a packet
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
stein
Posted 25/02/2016 - 19:59 Link
Excuse me for my ignorance but found 39 answers on my question what LBA stands for. None of those fits into your sentence, at least none of those makes sense... http://www.abbreviations.com/serp.php?st=LBA&p=99999 ... so, my next question would be... What LBA stands for?
percy
Posted 25/02/2016 - 20:19 Link
Lens Buying Addiction
Pretty similar to GAS really
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 25/02/2016 - 20:23 Link
Ha ha ha... LBA is Lens Buying Addiction.

Closely related to CBA - Camera Buying Addiction. A subset of that is FCBA (Film Camera Buying Addiction) which often comes combined with FBA (Film Buying Addiction).

As you can see, it's a very slippery slope. I've been on the slide for years.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
stein
Posted 25/02/2016 - 20:36 Link
Like your dark sense of humor. Meaning, if I keep on buying stuff there will be no bright future for me
Anyway, I went through that, except that I spent money on A class amplifiers, vacuum tube CD players and electrostatic speakers. If you're not really familiar with these terms, just read : "expensive audio gadgets, expensive audio gadgets, and even more expensive audio gadgets I can't sell to anyone", that will do. However, retired from that. Not getting into a new disease, not with a whole pile of monumental reminders all over the house.
Edited by stein: 25/02/2016 - 20:37
stu62
Posted 25/02/2016 - 22:28 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
Ha ha ha... LBA is Lens Buying Addiction.

Closely related to CBA - Camera Buying Addiction. A subset of that is FCBA (Film Camera Buying Addiction) which often comes combined with FBA (Film Buying Addiction).

As you can see, it's a very slippery slope. I've been on the slide for years.

you know what comes with these addictions

1 nagging
2 divorse
3 buy more cameras and lenses
stein
Posted 25/02/2016 - 23:10 Link
stu62 wrote:

you know what comes with these addictions

1 nagging
2 divorse
3 buy more cameras and lenses

Doesn't apply to me. As long as I'm making enough that nothing is missing in the house. Chasing skirts would end up at #2. But I'm

1. too old
2. uninterested
3. lazy

to chase skirts. Buying a lens (or a gadget that keeps me away from skirts) counts as a contribution to peace in the house
doingthebobs
Posted 25/02/2016 - 23:17 Link
Comment Image

And that's just from the K, M and A series and a small selection of the cameras.

Thing is, LBA doesn't have to be expensive with Pentax. Loads of K mount lenses by lots of manufacturers out there. If you have an M42 adapter there are even more potential lenses to try.
Bob
Edited by doingthebobs: 25/02/2016 - 23:19
davidwozhere
Posted 26/02/2016 - 00:30 Link
A typical Ebay session goes, "That's a really good one - got one - got that too, that one's rubbish, etc."
A typical domestic session goes, "You haven't bought another lens have you? You've got more than enough already!"
I love trying out old glass and I find them irresistible at Ebay prices. The idea is to re-sell them afterwards - but it never seems to happen
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
stein
Posted 26/02/2016 - 05:28 Link
As I said, won't happen to me as I carry my K-S1 with me every day and having one more camera body is out of the question. I just got worried that I will start thinking about ED lenses or something with 600/800mm engraved on the lens...
python118
Posted 26/02/2016 - 09:17 Link
There was me thinking it was just me with addiction to buy more lenses

Dave
walkeja
Posted 26/02/2016 - 09:58 Link
Jeremy Clarkson has joined the club.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
stein
Posted 26/02/2016 - 14:44 Link
OT: Clarkson is my idol. Or would be if I had one. Wish he would be interested in doing a TV show doing silly things with cameras and lenses. (I'm sure that I would never even think about buying a Skoda Yeti if he didn't park a helicopter on the roof of one )
kingfisher
Posted 08/03/2016 - 06:47 Link
stein:
don't worry about this...at the begining you'd like to try a zillion of lenses. If you can't fight that, there's a way how to keep it reasonable - always when you're about to buy a new lens sell one of your lenses too....so you don't end up stocking lenses at home

now there's another thing which may be helpful - sometimes we're buying lenses, because we're not happy with the photos, and we blame the gear - in this case it may be better to join some local photography clubs or even spend money on some courses that will improve skills more rapidly than a new gear and as a bonus you'll meet some likeminded people ....

so I combined both these approaches - and eventually cut my essential lens kit to 5 lenses (although i still need to sell da15 and da70 limiteds and FA135/2.8 to be honest)

btw. M and A50 1.7 are pretty good lenses and so is DA50/1.8

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.