RussV

Joined: 20th May 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

RussV
Browsing his website is like trying to eat a whole box of chocolates in one go, 1st is ok... 30th ugh!

Personally I think that level of processing actually detracts from the image in the long run. Multiple views don't appeal.

Comment by RussV posted on Being in the right place at the right time with talent at 24/01/2014 - 10:38

RussV
I see it as an effects short cut. It's a lot easier than doing the same thing in Paintshop Pro from scratch.

That said, a part from B&W conversions I'm not a fan obviously processed images.

Comment by RussV posted on Free OnOne Perfect Effects 8 Premium at 24/01/2014 - 10:21

RussV
For subscribers to their emails and includes serial number. It's not the same as their other 'free' Perfect Effects. I've downloaded mine.

(sorry that should be OnOne in title)

Comment by RussV posted on Free OnOne Perfect Effects 8 Premium at 23/01/2014 - 21:04

RussV
My local camera shop closed a few weeks ago (Ivor Howell, West Norwood branch, London). I rarely went inside, they seemed to concentrate on photo processing and picture frames plus a few telescopes. Their secondhand cameras were pretty ancient and mostly CanonNikon so there was little of interest for me. I'm surprised they kept going so long. The few times I did go in it wasn't always a pleasant experience.

It's a shame independents are declining but as a mostly secondhand buyer I'm happy to use the Internet.

Comment by RussV posted on The state of the high street photographic trade near you at 15/01/2014 - 10:45

RussV
It sounds like the hard disk has failed or been corrupted. If you have another PC and reasonably confident with technical things you could download and burn a linux iso image to DVD that would allow you to boot the PC and get files off if the disk is just corrupted.
If all that sounds too difficult your best bet would be a PC repair shop. If the problem is simply disk corruption they should be able to get it going again. If the disk is effectively dead then only an expensive data recovery process by a specialist company will get files off and a brand new disk will be needed to get the laptop working.

Comment by RussV posted on computer not working at 02/01/2014 - 12:53

RussV
If buying a NAS it's worth looking for one that supports RAID arrays. I won't bother explaining the jargon but basically the data is spread across all the disks in the NAS array and if one disk fails no data is lost. You lose some overall storage capacity with this technology but gain hardware resilience. When the faulty disk is replaced the array rebuilds itself. RAID is used extensively on servers in data centres.

Comment by RussV posted on Storage at 31/12/2013 - 09:18

RussV
pentaxian450 wrote:
giofi wrote:
Hi, can you please elaborate? Why are you better off with an android tablet?
When you get an Apple device, you have to deal with Apple for just about everything. Apple is not an open system like Android. Whenever you get a new app, you give some money to Apple. There isn't a more monopolistic company than Apple.

Android opens it's arms to third party, while Apple shuns them.

If you have an Android device, you can dowload the "Rawdroid" app. It reads just about any RAW files you can find.
Agreed, Apple try and lock their users in. I think their hardware is over priced. The price differences for more memory are ridiculous considering it costs peanuts.

Comment by RussV posted on iPad or other tablet for viewing and storage at 30/12/2013 - 09:27

RussV
Good image quality. Nice to see some abstracts along with more conventional pictures. Personally, I would crop number 7 to just below the bottom of the sea wall.

Comment by RussV posted on City of London - 1st Collection at 03/12/2013 - 09:07

RussV
MattyH wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:
MattyH wrote:
I suppose I am thinking about going old school and back to basics.
Grab a few rolls of Ektar and an MX (or Nikon FE for that matter). The original models, not this pumped-up digital version which looks like a 1970s SLR on steroids; where the dinky little control dials are the real deal, not a chintzy pastiche.
Great minds and all that, The day after I played with the happy camera, I loaded up my old MX attached a 50mm loaded it up with ilford HP5 and went for a walk down an old railway line, and yes that did make me happy, only problem the roll of film is still on the side waiting to be sorted, no such problem with the happy camera
Pushing the limits of more basic equipment is rewarding in itself. Getting a good picture using a camera and lens that can't handle any situation with the minimum of effort requires some skill. With so much automation on tap the actual picture taking moment can be be a bit 'soulless', for want of a better phrase. I'll admit it comes in handy when there's no time to think.

Comment by RussV posted on Does your camera make you smile ? at 07/11/2013 - 09:40

RussV
Lü wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Smeggypants"]
2) There's nothing sacred about the K mount. A new mount may mean more new lens sales for P/R.
A new mount would only generate more sales if the new camera was so outstanding it made the current range look old hat. The problem is technical advances tend to be incremental.

Comment by RussV posted on The new standard of performance - K3 shoot. at 05/11/2013 - 09:05

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo