Storage
Posted 29/12/2013 - 11:20
Link
Flickr changed its policy earlier in the year, its now 1TB of storage free
I still have the paid account.
I'm not a fan of Photobucket
I still have the paid account.
I'm not a fan of Photobucket
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20
Posted 30/12/2013 - 14:31
Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Just loaded 117 photos to Flickr and it took 2 hrs. Not bad.
I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Posted 30/12/2013 - 15:36
Link
walkeja wrote:
You need a faster connection! Depending on image size, it take me just a few seconds per image.
tyronet2000 wrote:
I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Just loaded 117 photos to Flickr and it took 2 hrs. Not bad.I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Posted 30/12/2013 - 15:38
Link
Gamka wrote:
Send me the required £20 a month and I'll upgrade
walkeja wrote:
You need a faster connection! Depending on image size, it take me just a few seconds per image.tyronet2000 wrote:
I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Just loaded 117 photos to Flickr and it took 2 hrs. Not bad.I find images from Flickr slow to download and often get fed up before the image arrives sometimes have the same problem with PPG too. I like foliopic but only have the standard account and if I ever fill that I'll just delete old pics and upload new.
Posted 30/12/2013 - 15:47
Link
Why do you guys use such a slow method to store images? Why pay a monthly fee and take hours uploading when an external hard drive will do the job quicker and at lower cost? :
Best regards, John
Posted 30/12/2013 - 16:30
Link
johnriley wrote:
Why pay a monthly fee and take hours uploading when an external hard drive will do the job quicker and at lower cost? :
I agree. I think it boils down to discipline and organisation, and the somewhat unproved notion that Flickr or Photobucket or any of that lot is a reliable long term storage location.Why pay a monthly fee and take hours uploading when an external hard drive will do the job quicker and at lower cost? :
The thing is, one external hard drive is no good - you need two, so that you can alternate with the one that's offsite. And you need discipline, since unless you actually take the backups, and switch the drive every week or two with the other one, it's pointless.
Whereas with one of cloud storage companies, at least you can more or less set it up and forget it. I wouldn't do it myself, but I can see why people do.
All that aside, currently I have a little over 600 GB of images. Every time I scan one of my old negs that's another 70MB TIFF.
How is it practical to keep that lot backed up in the cloud?
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 30/12/2013 - 16:56
Link
The only images I store online are on foliopic and PPG and of course the gallery on here otherwise no one would ever see them and in that case I may as well get rid of the camera etc. I used photobucket as it was convenient for putting images in the forum before it became possible to upload direct. What else do you do with the photos you take? I have loads of holiday snaps and slides mouldering away in boxes and I think the next people to see them, if they bother to look will be the house clearance people after I snuff it
Posted 30/12/2013 - 17:06
Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
What else do you do with the photos you take? I have loads of holiday snaps and slides mouldering away in boxes and I think the next people to see them, if they bother to look will be the house clearance people after I snuff it
When we only had prints and negs, backup wasn't even possible (well, not without enormous duplication effort), so we just had to assume that there'd never be a fire/flood/burglary etc.What else do you do with the photos you take? I have loads of holiday snaps and slides mouldering away in boxes and I think the next people to see them, if they bother to look will be the house clearance people after I snuff it
Now it's different - backing up is relatively easy. But there's always the question of whether stuff is important enough to backup at all. If you wouldn't mind losing it, backing it up is pointless.
I have 10,000 negs from 1984 when I got a Super A, to 2007 when I got the K10D, and I'm gradually scanning the lot (I don't have the prints).
Most of them, and indeed most of my digital photos, have no artistic merit whatsoever, but I'd still be sad if I lost the lot, since they're a photographic record of almost my whole adult life.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 30/12/2013 - 17:11
Link
I started with the cd/dvd backup method, then the external hard drive method, I'm currently using a 6tb Nas along with the other 2. The Nas is proving to be pretty reliable and my plan is to just swap out one of the hard drives when its full. The point of it all, well I'm trying preserve my stuff as long as I can, and instil in my boys the need to back things up!
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Posted 31/12/2013 - 09:18
Link
If buying a NAS it's worth looking for one that supports RAID arrays. I won't bother explaining the jargon but basically the data is spread across all the disks in the NAS array and if one disk fails no data is lost. You lose some overall storage capacity with this technology but gain hardware resilience. When the faulty disk is replaced the array rebuilds itself. RAID is used extensively on servers in data centres.
Posted 31/12/2013 - 09:36
Link
RussV wrote:
If buying a NAS it's worth looking for one that supports RAID arrays. I won't bother explaining the jargon but basically the data is spread across all the disks in the NAS array and if one disk fails no data is lost. You lose some overall storage capacity with this technology but gain hardware resilience. When the faulty disk is replaced the array rebuilds itself. RAID is used extensively on servers in data centres.
Best to check on which type of RAID Array suits as there are quite a few gotcha's involved If buying a NAS it's worth looking for one that supports RAID arrays. I won't bother explaining the jargon but basically the data is spread across all the disks in the NAS array and if one disk fails no data is lost. You lose some overall storage capacity with this technology but gain hardware resilience. When the faulty disk is replaced the array rebuilds itself. RAID is used extensively on servers in data centres.
RAID Types
Posted 31/12/2013 - 10:06
Link
There is a slight confusion in this thread between secure storage and means of public display.
K.
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 31/12/2013 - 10:58
Link
womble wrote:
There is a slight confusion in this thread between secure storage and means of public display.
Good point!There is a slight confusion in this thread between secure storage and means of public display.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1183 posts
22 years
Handsacre
By chance I went on PB the other day and found thay had increased the free amount to 8G, so I filled it up with some more. Out of curiosity I went F and found they have 1 Terrabyte of free.
Hope this is of news to some of you out there.
Happy New Year to you all.
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member