nathanever82

Joined: 24th November 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

nathanever82
TTk,
Just to quickly answer your question:
I am working as a professional photographer, and my 2 K10's are absolutely up to every challenge I have ever used them for. Pentax lenses are surely of immense quality, and probably better than the other brands. At least if we talk about the DA* and the primes (not going to go into the details here).

By 'I wouldn't suggest them to a professional' I don't mean I wouldn't suggest to a wedding photographer, but rather sports, or racing, or fashion (at high levels)or night photography (events or others).
The IQ given by the K10 and the K20 is the same, if not better, than most other brands', but both cameras fall short in other applications. If you don't need extreme speed (be it fps / ISO / fast AF) for a wedding shoot, you do need it for sports, and night photography, and if one was serious about these, there would be difficulties in matching pentax cameras to, say, nikon (I also really don't like canon...).

Now, I understand that pentax people are particularly nostalgic and attached to the pentax brand because of a long history that lies behind us (I have pentax in the blood, with my dad's K1000 bought in '76 and my photography starting with the same camera about 10 years ago), but the problem is that modern digital photography is all about technological advancement, and as much as some of us are not particularly keen on 'change'. change is necessary. I also think that in order to be a successful professional photographer today one MUST retouch photographs, or anyway have some kind of post-editing. Otherwise there is no difference between the kid with the point and shoot, and the professional, as the IQ is very very similar to start with.

I also understand what John is saying, but honestly I disagree. In film times, once the IQ was achieved through film, and dark-room processing, cameras evolved to give better applications, and make the life of the photographer easier. Since the digital era, there has been an incredible effort to match the IQ of film, on a digital sensor, and once this has been achieved, the 'race' for the tech. advancement has started. FF sensors give the opportunity (for those PROFESSIONALS who need it) of printing in big size with no loss of data. Higher ISO allows for noise free images and very fast shooting in the darkest situation, like live music, night-time sports, and many others. High fps rate allows for sports to be shot, with much better results.

Bottom line is; If we are amateurs looking for a good dslr to take with us on a walk in the park, then these advancements are not necessary, If we are professionals photographers, then they are.


My OP was rather a question of market matching. the 3 major brands make incredible steps forward in very short periods of time, allowing their customers to update to newer, better models very quickly, and enjoy all the new technological advancements. Wouldn't it be possible for Pentax to once again be competing with the market in a more effective way?

I also want to be spoiled with choice, am I wrong in feeling this way?

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Honest Jealousy at 17/09/2008 - 21:56

nathanever82
I love my Pentax.
I love it so much, that every time somebody asks me what I shoot with, I am really proud to say that I shoot with Pentax, and would recommend it to who-ever wants to start in photography, or is very serious about what he wants to do photographically, (I wouldn’t unfortunately recommend it to a professional…).

Since the K20 came out some months back, I have been convinced on not buying it, because it didn’t represent a wide enough step from my 2 K10 bodies, which usually make me very very happy.

I am now looking to update, and would be very interested in a new Pentax flagship, but the wait is really hurting my feelings. In the last 2-3 months all these cameras have come out:

- Canon 50D (15mp apc sensor, 6 fps …) / Canon 5D Mark II (full frame, 21mp 5fps etc…)
- Nikon D300 (we all know it..) / D3 (still a bit too expensive) / D90 (12mp, It actually shoots films) / D700 (Full frame, Unbelievable, really.)
- Sony Alpha 900 (Full frame, 24.6 mp, 5fps, live view that works…)

The last I’ve heard from Pentax the news were on the low end of the marked, with the new K1000, a SMALL, entry level camera, to suit that end of the market and compete with the likes of Canon 1000D, Nikon D60. There are absolutely no news about any high end camera. I am honestly feeling jealous of the range of choice that a canon/Nikon/(probably also) Sony user have, and cannot but beg Pentax to come up with a splendid new camera very very soon.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards to all,

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Honest Jealousy at 17/09/2008 - 13:37

nathanever82
The lens is brand new, Just came out in Pentax mount.

Chris has received the first shipment just this week, and it is unlikely that you will find many people with this lens. Or teleconverter.

The TC is a Sigma one, and goes together with the lens, so supposedly it should work.

Give Chris a call, or stop by the shop and take a look with your own eyes!

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Airshow Lens at 13/09/2008 - 22:00

nathanever82
www.clikpic.com

It costs a little, but works a treat. Just make sure you learn the manual.

Great websites.... look at mine!

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Be Gentle and play nicely at 11/09/2008 - 18:30

nathanever82
I am glad you acknowledged my post.

I was trying to help you in a very very important social matter.

Regards

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on My First Attempt At Kids Portraits! at 11/09/2008 - 15:40

nathanever82
And also, do you have permission to sell (or put prices on) the pictures to the public?

You would need a formal written permission, and if you are selling photographs of children, you want to be CRB checked and be clear on that front as well.

Don't play with children photography, its a very very risky business.

(I am a Youth directot in a community, and have worked with children for 10 years...)

Regards,

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on My First Attempt At Kids Portraits! at 10/09/2008 - 09:51

nathanever82
No rumors of anything like a k20super.
Its not going to happen.

A new small camera (smaller than K200) will come out now, at photokina.

A bigger, new flagship, will come out next year, nobody says when!

So no worries on that front!

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on News from Pentax at 07/09/2008 - 08:06

nathanever82
Ohhh Noooo

Who am I going to be sarcastic with, now?????


By the way, I would have preferred a happy argument, this actually leaves me also very speechless. with a quote.

'Human dedication to screwing up the neighbour has reached unprecedented levels...'

Hugs,

Nathan


*Chris, reading your post I couldn't stop laughing. Again!
** I beg John Riley to not close this thread soon... for the sake of my laughter, this is pure medicine

Comment by nathanever82 posted on DS Anyone ? :) at 06/09/2008 - 21:16

nathanever82
there isn't one. They are all the same prices, and they are expensive.

Oh, and some are out of production!

Try Jessops, if they have any. Go for at least 'P' size as anything else is not worth. also try www.intro2020.com

I don't have a holder for the filters, I use bluetac, and it works a treat if you are a bit careful and don't need the filters on all the time.

Hope this helps.

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Where is a.. at 06/09/2008 - 17:52

nathanever82
This is actually going to be a hard one.

You might want to look at lenses that are a bit faster - but unfortunately this doesn't mean that they focus much faster than the one you already own.

Perhaps you can look at the DA* 50-135mm, or the 2 new ones, DA*200 mm and DA*300mm. All these should give you much better performance than the lens you own, but for speed, well, you'll probably have to be patient and wait for the next pentax camera!

By the way; how are you using your AF on your K100? there are many ways of taking photos of motorsports, and relying on an AF that tracks the subject is not always the best way to go!

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Comment by nathanever82 posted on Motorsport lenses at 05/09/2008 - 23:42

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo