News from Pentax


nathanever82

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 15:01
Hello Everybody!

Right, this is big news... and its all 'secret' stuff coming out from a Pentax rep. during a pentax day chat, can't say where...

- The DA* 60-250mm is going to be out at photokina, so September. Retail price.... 899

- At photokina Pentax will announce a new body, but unfortunatly is going to be a lightweight one. No new flagship coming up. He hasn't said much, but that its going to be small and light. I would imagine a market move to follow on the canon 1000d....

- In late september they might announce a new flagship coming up, but he actually didn't say anything about it. It might be the 646 body that was put aside for a couple of years, or who knows what. Anyway its not going to be out before next year...

- I'm sure you know this, but the ltd's 31-43-77 have been discontinued, so if you want to buy any of them, buy them now....


What do we think? I want to update one of my K10's, and I want the K20 sensor, and a faster AF, fps, ISO performance, possibly AF in live view.... Let's hope that Pentax's management reads these forums, instead of trying to compete with c. & n.


Cheers,

Nathan
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

johnriley

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 17:53
As the K10D works just fine and delivers the goods, I don't feel the need for a new body just yet. Lenses are much more interesting at the moment.

However, as and when the K10D fails then I will be straight on the phone to Chris at SRS to buy a K20D. Hopefully by then the price will be dropping.
Best regards, John

ChrisA

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 19:07
nathanever82 wrote:
What do we think? I want to update one of my K10's, and I want the K20 sensor, and a faster AF, fps, ISO performance, possibly AF in live view.... Let's hope that Pentax's management reads these forums, instead of trying to compete with c. & n.

If there's a K30D with these features, say, middle of next year, it might be a good time to upgrade from the K10D for me.

Meanwhile, I'm with John - the '10 is fine for now, and the '20 isn't a big enough leap forward to place it ahead of another lens or two, or maybe a lens and a second AF540.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 19:45
johnriley wrote:
However, as and when the K10D fails then I will be straight on the phone to Chris at SRS to buy a K20D. Hopefully by then the price will be dropping.

Hopefully by the time the K10D fails, we will be on the K50.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

kerrowdown

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 21:08
Wot's all this talk of failure, not on my watch
Kerrowdown... Aka Romantic Highlander.

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand... William Blake.

"Mistress" Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, "Good Lady" Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, "Friendly Lady" Pentax-A 24mm F2.8, "Deviate Lady" Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift, "Street Lady" Pentax-A 28mm F2.8, "Bohemian Lady" Pentax-A 35mm F2.0, "Retro Lady" SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8, "Special Lady" Pentax-A 50mm F1.2, "Femme Fatale" Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro, "Sweetheart" Pentax-A*85mm F1.4, "Lady Luck" Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, "Gorgeous Lady" Pentax-A*200mm F2.8 ED, "Duchess" Pentax-A*300mm F4.0, "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5

johnriley

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 22:04
Gentlemen, Ladies, etc., when my Sue looks at this forum you need to explain that everything is prone to sudden failure, requiring instant spending on a replacement.....

I thought we all understood the process...
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 22:38
nathanever82 wrote:

- The DA* 60-250mm is going to be out at photokina, so September. Retail price.... 899


Well I must admit that's a little more than I thought.
. My Flickr

Clarky

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 22:42
900quid for the 60-250 wasnt expecting it to be that much
Looks like i'm going to need some more pennies.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

Clarky

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 22:54
I'm with you Mike.
We are going to have to get one between the both of us and just ship it back and forth as we each need it.

I made a deal with my brother. He fell in love with my K10 when i loaned it to him for a 6week trip into central Aust and he wanted to buy it.
I Gave him the K10 + Tamron 18-250 + Tamron 90mm Macro + SMC F 70-210 + Flash AF-360FGZ on the premise he purchased me the DA* 60-250 + the SDM rear converter when they are released. HMMMMM I was execting around 600quid for the 60-250.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

ikillrocknroll

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 22:56
when canons 70-200 F/4 USM is around 450, 900 seems very steep.
http://www.behance.net/robbranigan
K20D, DA18-55II, FA50 1.4, DA10-17
To buy: Metz 58 AF-1, DA*50-135, DA12-24, DA100M

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 23:09
The thing is I have promised myself 1 decent DA* lens and this was to be it as I dont do wide so I am happy with the 16-45mm. I am also ok with my Tamron 24-135mm so that rules out the 50-135mm, but for the same price I could get a couple of really nice Tamron or Sigma lenses such as one of the new 70-200mm f2/8's with a converter plus a decent macro.
. My Flickr

nathanever82

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 23:41
Remember that it is only the initial retail price - or at least this is what I have been told. Hopefully it will go down soon enough!

COnsider though, that if it is comparable to the quality of a canon/nikon/tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8, than this would represent a very big improvement on that type of zoom lens.

Seen the IQ of the 2 DA*, I can only expect very very high quality IQ, SDM, weather sealing... And with an extra 10mm at the short, and 50mm at the long end, it really does sound like an amazing lens. If the cheapest of the 70-200 f2.8 is the tamron and it is 700, than the extra f-stop wouldn't put me off considering it a bargain when compared to the 1625 of the nikon, and 1700 of the canon.

Still think its so expensive? Perhaps its time for pentax to provide customers with the possibility of buying very good and very expensive zoom lenses, that match (even at the tele end) the likes of the market.


On the topic of failure: My first K10 was bought in December 2006 - it worked until it broke, in october 2007. Then replaced with a new one, at Pentax, and this is now almost 1 year old. With more than 16000 shots, it actually started working much slower than before, the AF is slower, the fps rate is slower,at least compared to the new K10 I bought recently.
Took it to Pentax for a revision, and they adjusted the focus, and reset all the software, but this obviously this didn't help the general functionning of the camera. It still works, but it is not as sharp as when new - I don't know how much you guys use your K10's but this to me is a clear sign of need for a replacement... as soon as a new toy comes out!

Nathan
'Between the lights there is always a shadow'

www.nathanservi.com & PPG

fatspider

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 23:46
johnriley wrote:
Gentlemen, Ladies, etc., when my Sue looks at this forum you need to explain that everything is prone to sudden failure, requiring instant spending on a replacement.....

I thought we all understood the process...

Ah John, we are of like mind.......

.......so you wont mind nipping over the Pennines and explaining that to my wife

As mentioned in another post I recently had a hands on play with a GX20, I was impressed with the live view (though the menu system seemed a little odd) and so the purchase of a K20D may not be too distant for myself, of course I have to buy it with a 17-70 in order to save a bit of cash and get a good deal, so what I really need is a lot of support on the "Is my husband trying it on forum"
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

ChrisA

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 23:49
nathanever82 wrote:
On the topic of failure: My first K10 was bought in December 2006 - it worked until it broke, in october 2007. Then replaced with a new one, at Pentax, and this is now almost 1 year old. With more than 16000 shots, it actually started working much slower than before, the AF is slower, the fps rate is slower,at least compared to the new K10 I bought recently.

Well mine's up to about 11,500 now. I haven't noticed any deterioration so far, touch wood.

How much slower is 'much' slower? Was the change sudden, or gradual?

They really shouldn't pack up at 16,000 actuations. If this were typical, it would be a strong argument for changing brands, but I bet it isn't.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.

Clarky

Link Posted 30/08/2008 - 23:54
nathanever82 wrote:
Remember that it is only the initial retail price - or at least this is what I have been told. Hopefully it will go down soon enough!

COnsider though, that if it is comparable to the quality of a canon/nikon/tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8, than this would represent a very big improvement on that type of zoom lens.

Seen the IQ of the 2 DA*, I can only expect very very high quality IQ, SDM, weather sealing... And with an extra 10mm at the short, and 50mm at the long end, it really does sound like an amazing lens. If the cheapest of the 70-200 f2.8 is the tamron and it is 700, than the extra f-stop wouldn't put me off considering it a bargain when compared to the 1625 of the nikon, and 1700 of the canon.

Still think its so expensive? Perhaps its time for pentax to provide customers with the possibility of buying very good and very expensive zoom lenses, that match (even at the tele end) the likes of the market.


On the topic of failure: My first K10 was bought in December 2006 - it worked until it broke, in october 2007. Then replaced with a new one, at Pentax, and this is now almost 1 year old. With more than 16000 shots, it actually started working much slower than before, the AF is slower, the fps rate is slower,at least compared to the new K10 I bought recently.
Took it to Pentax for a revision, and they adjusted the focus, and reset all the software, but this obviously this didn't help the general functionning of the camera. It still works, but it is not as sharp as when new - I don't know how much you guys use your K10's but this to me is a clear sign of need for a replacement... as soon as a new toy comes out!

Nathan

16000 is not a lot Nathan considering they say its good for 100,000.
My K10 (which my brother now has) had about the same on it, considerably more i would say now and i found no discernable difference in its performance.
Have you tried reloading the Firmware, just a thought but it might help.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.