MarkD

Joined: 7th January 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

MarkD
Interesting technology but they need better software as, from what I've seen so far, you can't change depth of field so everything is in focus, or part is completely blurred. Just select which bit you want in focus.
I won't be hanging up my SLR's just yet........

Comment by MarkD posted on Shoot, then focus? at 22/10/2011 - 09:58

MarkD
Some excellent shots there, ironically helped by the bad weather and low cloud. Love the B&W conversions which really suit the poor weather. The optio shots were particularly impressive as they seem very sharp and lacking in lens distortions.

Comment by MarkD posted on New York monos (image heavy thread...) at 09/10/2011 - 10:59

MarkD
Agreed , my comments were for general low light photography.
Concerts are usually relatively well lit , at least the band members, and shouldn't be a problem for the K5.

Comment by MarkD posted on Low light lens recommendation at 07/10/2011 - 09:28

MarkD
There are lots of old M series 50mm lenses f 1.7 and f1.4 that can be had for £30 to £50 if you want to experiment. Autofocus probably won't work very well in low light anyway. But as you have a K5 any f2.8 is probably fast enough. It really is incredibly good even at ISO3200.
You'd be better off getting a decent tripod first.

Comment by MarkD posted on Low light lens recommendation at 07/10/2011 - 07:24

MarkD
There ae loads of free video tutorials on the web. Go to Adobe's website or do a search on You Tube. In fact just type phototoshop tutorials into Google and pick your way through them.

Comment by MarkD posted on Books on P/Shop at 28/09/2011 - 08:52

MarkD
Yep. Brassic now and well overdrawn on brownie points...........
But £10 for two batteries is better than £100 for two Pentax batteries, to my way of thinking. That's nearly saved enough for half a 40mm Ltd!
Which incidentally makes for a lovely LITTLE camera package with the K-5.

Comment by MarkD posted on K-5 batteries at 20/07/2011 - 21:17

MarkD
I've ordered two &day shop batteries for £5 each!. I figured they were worth a gamble given they are a tenth of the price of the Pentax ones.
I'll let you know how I get on when they turn up.

Comment by MarkD posted on K-5 batteries at 20/07/2011 - 19:48

MarkD
Well I am fortunate enough to have joined the K5 club after a trip to SRS on Saturday morning.
I must say it is a very different beast to my K20. After a very limited play yesterday i took a quick shot of the moon trying to peek through thick cloud cover. It was hand held in green mode and auto ISO and I was stunned by the short exposure and low noise of the image at 3200 ISO. On my K20 that would have needed a tripod and about a one second exposure.

It has the level of low light performance that was only available about three years ago with some £3k+ full frame cameras and very fast glass. Let’s not forget this is still a £1k camera and my K20 cost half as much and it's ISO performance is light years ahead of anything I could achieve with film. However, noise at anything over ISO 400 with the K20 is an issue. Many people don't need to go there but if you do your prayers have been answered with the K5.
With this sensor Pentax finally has a camera that can match anything Canon and Nikon produce ( in APS-C), and arguably exceed them in features such as in body shake reduction and backwards compatibility to name but two.
Pentax has been playing catch up for a while, but now they are definitely in photo finish territory. Brilliant camera!

Comment by MarkD posted on K5 @ ISO 25600 at 17/07/2011 - 12:25

MarkD
That's my problem. I'd probably get more use out of the zoom but I'd really like the IQ of the prime. ( and the option of the 1.7 teleconverter)
I suppose I could always get the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 as well as the DA*300

...and a divorce

Comment by MarkD posted on Some new lenses at 27/06/2011 - 16:39

MarkD
I'd love to see how theDA*300 and the DA*60-250 compare. I'm contemplating a big purchase. ( don't tell her indoors)

Comment by MarkD posted on Some new lenses at 27/06/2011 - 12:32

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo