Keith Grant

Joined: 18th November 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Keith Grant
Thanks Kris!

Cheers!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on autumn macros at 17/10/2008 - 20:56

Keith Grant
Thanks Nimitz,

Yes, I'm going to try more shots like both of these, and try to achieve a great DOF as you suggest. - a trade-off this time on a windy day and no tripod!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on autumn macros at 15/10/2008 - 23:28

Keith Grant
Father Ted and Giving Tree,

Colour is what the season does best, isn't it!

Yes, I think a square-ish crop would work quite nicely.

Comment by Keith Grant posted on autumn macros at 15/10/2008 - 02:09

Keith Grant
Hello folks,

Finally some time to get into the woods to make some photos! Your feedback on these first autumn attempts welcome!

Both taken handheld with the M100 4 macro. (I should have had a tripod!)

Comment Image


Comment Image


Thanks!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on autumn macros at 14/10/2008 - 21:18

Keith Grant
Hi Matt,

Now that I've been using the basic features of SP for the last few months, I've walked through your quick guide again, and found it really helpful to refine my workflow. Thanks for the clarity of your explanations.

Looking forward to future installments.

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Silkypix Developer Studio Quick Guide at 15/08/2008 - 13:39

Keith Grant
kerrowdown wrote:
In terms of longevity, just think how Pentax have maintained their backwards compatibility with their lens range. Nearly all Pentax lenses made, will fit the latest DSLR’s with various differing levels of functionality.
Is this something that Pentax intends to carry on, or will some characteristics of their DSLRs make it more difficult to accommodate M and A series lenses?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Pentax's Longevity at 02/08/2008 - 22:58

Keith Grant
Very nice - such colours!

3 and 4 really catch my eye. On the paddock shot, I think I'd be inclined to crop a little more off the top, at either the orange or blue car, as the ones at the top of the image don't add much in the way of colour or interest, compared with the bottom half.

Have any for a test drive?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on London Motor Show - 24 July 2008 at 26/07/2008 - 16:08

Keith Grant
Very dramatic, Martin! And what a location!

It's great that the sign is lit as it is, meaning you didn't have to overexpose the sky to get the hotel itself brighter. Well done.

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Eemshotel at sunrise. at 26/07/2008 - 16:05

Keith Grant
UFO sighting?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Not a dirty sensor at 26/07/2008 - 15:59

Keith Grant
MattMatic wrote:

There will often be a shift in some areas when moving to another colour space. That's what the intent is all about - how you squeeze a quart into a pint-pot (so to speak). Try it with "Perceptual" and "Relative Colormetric" - they'll be slightly different.
So, I'm ready to send off a small batch of test photos to the lab, to see how it comes out. As I mentioned, the problem I'm running across now is that when I use Mac's ColorSync Utility to add the lab's ICC profile for output, the effects are quite different.

For example

Here's the image as converted from RAW by Silkypix, then minor editing and cropping in PSE:
Comment Image


And here it is with the ICC profile applied, using Relative Intent, which as the closest:
Comment Image


At least on my monitor, there's quite a difference in colour (especially the green background) and sharpness; the second image is generally more flat.

So ... how do I correct for this, and at what stage? For example, do I oversharpen in Silkypix, knowing that it'll be not sharp enough by the time it's compressed to lab-ready jpg? Or ....???

Would using AdobeRGB make any difference with this?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on ICC = it's coming clearer! at 24/07/2008 - 02:17

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo