Keith Grant

Joined: 18th November 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Keith Grant
Karmazyniello and Montecarlo,

I've really been enjoying your photos, so thanks for taking the time to offer some C&C here.

On the B/W, Vic is right, I think: forget the b/w conversion altogether on this one. The light there is fine as it is, and was the main reason I thought it would be a good place to take the photos. Obviously, doing a proper mono conversion is on my (long!) list of things to learn.

karmazyniello wrote:
At first the composition should be upright. ...
Here is in my opinion perfect composition and also very nice B&W conversion.
Shot from K10D

Comment Image
Karmazyniello, when you say upright, do you mean as in the photo should be portrait (rather than landscape) in orientation? - because your image (which I like!) is also a landscape in orientation. ...

If you were shooting the same guy in the same setting, how would you compose it? I'm a pupil at your feet!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on portrait practice at 16/07/2008 - 23:33

Keith Grant
Thanks for the feedback so far, Beakynet and Vic. Is it worth the effort to do a proper B/W conversion at all?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on portrait practice at 16/07/2008 - 19:36

Keith Grant
Wonderful! The light draws our attention to her gaze. Your photo a credit to the sculptor.

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Figurehead at 16/07/2008 - 16:33

Keith Grant
At my "local" yesterday afternoon. C & C on pose, composition, etc, great appreciated!

All with M 50 1.4, the first two at f4, the third at about f2. Shot in RAW, converted in Silkypix, and a quick mono conversion in iPhoto for the last one. Available light from shuttered window, handheld.
Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image


Cheers!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on portrait practice at 16/07/2008 - 16:11

Keith Grant
Thanks to you both for the feedback!

Don, I had a wedding photographer tell me recently that she works in just the opposite way - starting with the largest group of people, so that the "wanderers" don't have to be repeatedly rounded up. But I like your approach of having a candid waiting area - I bet many of your gems have come from this time.

Brian, the links are indeed helpful - thanks!

One thing that I'm trying to do is to think about the characteristic gestures, expressions, environments, etc, of people I hope to photograph. Then when the opportunity presents itself, I am asking them to do something that they are already familiar/comfortable with, and hopefully end up with an image that really represents who they are.

Any further tips on informal and available light portraits?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on informal portrait poses? at 16/07/2008 - 15:45

Keith Grant
Great band photos, but what catches my eye is the second photo of the guy on the mobile. Composition is brilliant: juxtaposing modern and traditional ways of life (cell phone in context of "old world" houses), the group and the individual, two different ways of communicating and being community, and the movement of the mobile-user away from community into the right of the frame - the future. The questions it raises, for me: where are we headed? and what are we leaving behind?

Thank you for the image - and the questions it raises!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Farfarello at 12/07/2008 - 03:11

Keith Grant
Perhaps this sounds familiar to many of you: as you become known as an enthusiastic amateur photog in your circle of friends, you are occasionally approached to take informal portraits. Or perhaps, like me, you have a few "real characters" in your life, and you'd like to take some informal shots that capture something of them.

Most of the time, I find myself working with:
- available light (rather than a studio set up or flashguns)
- one, or two lenses at most
- available patience, if you know what I mean

So, my question: can you suggest some general poses, angles, or other tips, that you can recommend, so that the short window of opportunity isn't frittered away?

Comment by Keith Grant posted on informal portrait poses? at 09/07/2008 - 19:11

Keith Grant
Gorgeous colors and details, John! I like how the stem almost fades at the bottom.

Is it just my bleary eyes tonight, or is there some kind of silhouette at the tips of some of the petals (about 3 and 4, and 8 and 9 o'clock, if the flower were a clockface)?

Cheers!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on Flowers at Arley Hall at 08/07/2008 - 02:04

Keith Grant
Quote:
Everything else you explained is correct but in your explaining you use the full version of PS as example.
The OP stated he uses Silkypix and PS Elements. None of these give him the option to soft proof. Thats why I said; It's pointless for him to go that route. You end your answer with:
Quote:
* If you understand colour management, then AdobeRGB would be a good choice.
* If you don't understand colour management, then sRGB is a better choice (because you don't have to think and most printers and labs assume sRGB)
* If you want critical control then use ProPhoto - but you must use 16-bit TIFF for this color space.
Thats why i suggested the second option.
Martin, I must have been composing my first response at the same time as you!

I obviously don't understand colour management yet, but am willing to learn and do the work.

From what I can gather from regular posters on the forum, many of us are using something like SP and PSE rather than CS2/3 - but hopefully we're not at a complete loss!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on ICC = I'm completely confused? at 08/07/2008 - 13:07

Keith Grant
Martin and Matt,

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to give such full responses. I suspect that colour management is an issue for lots of us on the forum.

Matt, I'm going to have to read and re-read your post a little more carefully (you've got a great way of explaining these technical issues!) after work tonight to see how much of it I "get".

Quote:
Now, the work... when you have the final image you need to map your image into the final colour profile of your target. This is done with Photoshop (normally). Unfortunately Elements doesn't have the full interface to the colour management (at least it didn't).
Quote:
There are ways to do this without Photoshop... let me know if that is your situation and I'll try and help out!
Any ideas about how to go about this with PS Elements 6?

And other than working in Adobe RGB, are there any implications for working in Silkypix?

Thanks!

Comment by Keith Grant posted on ICC = I'm completely confused? at 08/07/2008 - 13:02

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo