hefty1

Joined: 28th June 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

hefty1
Excellent photo - almost begging to be a caption competition!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Donuts at 26/10/2007 - 11:24

hefty1
Quote:
Those advising patience were quite right.

I take it there was a happy ending then?

Comment by hefty1 posted on Another eBay question - payment related at 26/10/2007 - 17:59

hefty1
Personally, I always give buyers the benefit of the doubt and only start worrying if I haven't heard within 7 days. Normally by then I've either had PayPal payment or a cheque - I've only had to file a non-paying bidder report once in 5 years of regular selling on there. Just my $0.02

Comment by hefty1 posted on Another eBay question - payment related at 26/10/2007 - 10:03

hefty1
Quote:
What's to grumble about?
The sheer excess of some of those fees! I've paid enough to eBay/PayPal over the years to send all their founders' children through college and I've never complained - until now...

It's not only the way that they've jacked up the fees on the categories that are bound to get the heaviest use at this time of year (xmas is coming), but also the way that the front page notice makes a big play of the lower insertion charges without even mentioning the higher FV fees until you go searching for the small print (in the link I initially posted).

While fleecing the gullible is hardly a new corporate sport I don't see that I should condone it with a shrug. My personal boycott (from now until 31/12) won't bring them to their knees or make a dent in their profits but it will make me feel better.

It's a karma thing...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Selling on eBay UK? at 26/10/2007 - 18:10

hefty1
Any rival to eBay in the UK would have to have a fair chunk of money behind it in order to worm its way into the public conscious - eBay has a massive advertising budget on TV, newspapers, etc.

Setting up an alternate market would be easy, getting people to use it? Much harder!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Selling on eBay UK? at 26/10/2007 - 09:56

hefty1
If you were thinking of selling any photo equipment (or toys and games)on eBay UK between now and the end of the year then I'd suggest you read this first:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/sell/oct2007toysphoto/

It's billing itself as a cheaper way to insert a listing, which is technically true, however, the final value fees make eye-watering reading. Safe to say they won't get any more business from me in 2007, serve them right for cynically exploiting the largest Christmas markets...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Selling on eBay UK? at 25/10/2007 - 20:56

hefty1
I find 3 way heads to be more precise but cumbersome, whereas ball heads I find more intuitive but lacking the nth degree of precise control.

For landscapes I would suggest a 3 way head to ensure horizons are level and minimal post-processing for stitching panoramas etc, for wildlife I would suggest a ball head as it's quicker to position and wildlife rarely hangs around until you're ready to shoot!

Either would probably do a good job on a full-time basis though.

Comment by hefty1 posted on Manfrotto Heads at 24/10/2007 - 18:37

hefty1
On reflection, I hope you weren't just after geometric patterns or I'm b******d! I never can seem to get the hang of these competition things...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Discussion: Weekly Competition 16 " Patterns" at 24/10/2007 - 18:11

hefty1
In answer to the original post, I leave mine switched on and I've never felt the need to clean the sensor (not even with an air blower). I've not heard of anybody who has broken their K10D by means of excessive sensor shaking, however, if it should happen to me years down the line then I think I'll probably still have had good value out of the camera - I paid £499 for it in June and I've now clocked up nearly 4000 shots, an average of £0.12 per shot and going down daily. I haven't done the sums but I reckon that's probably the best cost-per-picture ratio of any camera I've ever owned!

I'd much rather take the risk of a reduced overall lifespan due to sensor shake than bring that death forward by ham-fisted attempts at sensor swabbing - but that's just me, it's your camera so treat it how you feel most comfortable with...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Too shake or not - that is the question at 24/10/2007 - 18:00

hefty1
Quote:
I don't have such luxuries, as I still have my Ds, but I have a question. Can you also set it to shake when you switch off? It seems to me that would be better, otherwise you have to wait for it to shake before you can use it and may not be able to grab that once in a lifetime shot as result.
You can only set it to shake when switched on rather than switched off, however, the duration of the shaking is about 1/2 second - about the same as it takes to pick the camera up and place the viewfinder to your eye - so I doubt you could use this as an excuse for missing a once in a lifetime shot.

Comment by hefty1 posted on Too shake or not - that is the question at 24/10/2007 - 14:51

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo