hefty1

Joined: 28th June 2007

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

hefty1
The catches on the legs of the 055 are spring loaded and have adjustable tension - if you look on the back of each one you'll see a hex nut which will fit your key like a glove. I guess the monopod's probably the same.

Comment by hefty1 posted on Manfrotto tripod question at 03/11/2007 - 11:46

hefty1
Lucky you! With any luck you'll hate it and I'll make you a reasonable offer (bearing in mind it'll be second hand of course)...

Comment by hefty1 posted on New Voigtländer Nokton and Ultron for Pentax at 05/11/2007 - 11:48

hefty1
Quote:
Stupid question maybe but apart from being a faster lens what would be the advantage, if any, of the Voigtländer 40mm over the Pentax 40mm?
I suppose it would depend on your priorities - it looks like the price will be roughly the same so it'll come down to whether you favour the wider aperture of the Voigtlander or the auto-focus of the Pentax. I'd be suprised if they offered a significant difference in the quality stakes but I'm prepared to eat my words when we see some examples from the Voigtlander...

Comment by hefty1 posted on New Voigtländer Nokton and Ultron for Pentax at 05/11/2007 - 11:23

hefty1
I'd say the most important "accessory" is a spare (and fully charged) battery. Nothing more frustrating than being out and about when your power fails, especially if the mains socket in your hotel won't accept your charger lead.

All the polarisers, tripods and remote cables in the world won't take a picture without juice!

Comment by hefty1 posted on had the k10 for a month - need help with accessories for pla at 02/11/2007 - 17:59

hefty1
Quote:
In reply to Mongoose and Hefty from the other fireworks thread, couldn't make Weston Turville due to work .

Should be going to Bovingdon on Monday. (For my sins, it's where I've been all day!)
Shame - it was a cracking display again this year. I'm just a bit wary of taking my camera out into large crowds hence I can't show you any photos. I noticed plenty of other folks with them although it was too dark to make out whether they were Pentax's or not...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Fireworks at 04/11/2007 - 01:22

hefty1
Quote:
Here's some of my favourites with the K10 so far!

Comment Image
I'm not the only one who takes photos of Brill windmill then!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Hello all - Newbie alert! at 02/11/2007 - 17:05

hefty1
Always difficult to say - I don't have a Leica, a Contax, a Nikon, a Canon, etc (all with their top lenses) hanging around the house to make comparisons with. All I know is that my 43 is probably the best lens I've ever owned and will ever own - that's good enough for me!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Very interesting article. at 31/10/2007 - 23:01

hefty1
I retract my previous gripe - now I've got used to holding my eye "square" over the finder I can actually see everything - shooting information included!

After just a few hours play I'm wondering how I ever managed without one of these little gizmos...

Comment by hefty1 posted on Angle finder at 07/11/2007 - 17:56

hefty1
Well, my Seagull angle finder turned up today (just 7 days after I ordered it from Hong Kong) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed! I can't really add too much to what has been already said except that I feel the "brittleness" of the adaptor plates has been overstated in my view - the Pentax one (not checked the others) seems perfectly serviceable to me.

Build quality of the finder is excellent and the supplied case is as good as any I've had with lenses from Pentax, etc. The view through the finder is nice and bright, the 2.5x magnification makes MF a breeze and my only (minor) gripe is that you can't see the shooting info through it as even in 1x magnification it seems to crop very slightly - having said that, the info is always on the shoulder of the camera and can be brought up on the LCD if really needed.

All in all a very good buy I reckon - especially considering the giveaway price!

Comment by hefty1 posted on Angle finder at 07/11/2007 - 14:28

hefty1
I've bid on a couple of Pentax Refconverters lately but I'm refusing to pay more than £50 for one hence I'm being comprehensively outbid (the going rate seems to be about £75+p&p for the "A" and about £60+ for the "M".

Consequently, I've now raised the white flag and ordered one of the Chinese Seagull right angle finders - should be here in a week or so and I'll let you know then how it works with the K10D. The few reports I've seen on the web are quite favourable although all mention the interchangeable mounts as being a weak point - I'll see for myself when it arrives. Seagull, as well as making accessories like this, also manufacture Kodak's line of digicams along with their Schneider lenses so the quality of the optics shouldn't be too terrible! Their own branded medium format TLR cameras also have quite a cult following.

Also, there are many people selling the Seagull finder on eBay (not all of them quoting a manufacturer) and the cheapest I found (including p&p) was this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230159695631&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

As at today's exchange rate, the price equates to £27.08 including p&p - cheaper than the one you highlighted. They also have stocks of the earlier model which is near-identical except it offers 1-2x magnification instead of 1-2.5x - it is a couple of quid cheaper still though!

I doubt I'll be using it all the time but it's something I've felt on a couple of occasions would be handy to have. I think it'll probably prove to be 27 quid wisely spent...

For someone's mini review of one on an *istD have a look at: http://www.digicaminfo.btinternet.co.uk/rightanglefinder.htm

Comment by hefty1 posted on Angle finder at 31/10/2007 - 15:25

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo