chris_jl

Joined: 15th September 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

chris_jl
Greytop wrote:
I would say the K-x should have had a good shot at best entry level.
Sorry for delay in replying - work kind of got in the way today.

It was nominated (along with the EOS 500D. N D3000 and Sony A550), also K-7 was nominated for Enthusiast Camera otY.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on AP Gives K7 award of Innovation of the Year 2010 at 18/02/2010 - 21:38

chris_jl
Mike-P wrote:
Which camera/s won best DSLR ?
The whole rundown:
Exceptional Achievement in Photography: John Hedgecoe
Innovation otY: we know that one
Printer otY: Canon Pixma Pro9000
Software otY: PSE8
Accessory otY: Ansmann Digicharger
Prime Lens otY: Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Compact otY: Samsung ST550
Enthusiast Compact otY: Powershot G11
Zoom Lens otY: Sony Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 24-70 f2.8 ZA SSM
Entry Level Camera otY: Pana Lumix GF1
High End Camera otY: Nikon D3X
Enthusiast Camera/Product/AP Forum Product otY: Canon 7D

that's the lot

Can't really argue with any of them.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on AP Gives K7 award of Innovation of the Year 2010 at 17/02/2010 - 21:37

chris_jl
Amateur Photographer awards are out and K7 got one for the self leveling sensor.

It was also nominated for in camera HDR.

Keep up the good work guys .

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on AP Gives K7 award of Innovation of the Year 2010 at 17/02/2010 - 14:45

chris_jl
Google for AF160S links to devicemanuals.com which re-links to
www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/AF_160S_FLASH.pdf and seems to suggest that it's a real thing - Energy Saver text and all.

I think the Energy Saver part is that it has a thyristor and if set for f-ratio/ISO appropriately it won't do a full power discharge every time.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Anyone heard of a AF160S Energy Saver? at 16/02/2010 - 17:03

chris_jl
bforbes wrote:
I came to the conclusion not enough light was entering the camera for the system to work.
Thanks. That sounds the most likely explanation.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Better than 55-300mm? at 13/02/2010 - 16:42

chris_jl
bforbes wrote:
Chris
"(though it loses the red spot when in-focus for some reason and focus tends to drift). "

Did you know the red spot indicates what is being focused on. It's the Green hexagon that goes steady when the focusing is correct according to the camera.
Sorry - I was truncating for brevity. Yes I know the hex shows being in focus, but the chosen focus point should flicker red as well. The full symptoms are:

Without the TC and Manual focus enabled: red focus position flickers on then off (as I'm used to) and green hex is shown.
With TC and Manual focus enabled: red focus spot never flickers on and off when in focus and green hex not shown.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Better than 55-300mm? at 13/02/2010 - 16:03

chris_jl
I can't advise at all on the other lenses, but FWIW I've just got the Sigma 150-500 HSM . Having a whale of a time with it. Image quality is decent, but not exceptional. Definately lacks contrast - but that is correctable in GIMP/digiKam. I even put a Kenko 1.5X TC on it and the manual focus was really quite simple and precise (though it loses the red spot when in-focus for some reason and focus tends to drift). It does have some noticable CA at 500mm but again that is correctable with decent RAW converters.

Really looking forward to using it in bright light with less contrasty targets as I think it'll shine there.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Better than 55-300mm? at 13/02/2010 - 15:32

chris_jl
polchraine wrote:
Have a look at the Pentax Online shop in Japan

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=BVNav&from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2F...

Scroll down to the H90 and read ...

What is: Line of uselessness is no one

or with the W80, why is there: Turf inside body. ?
Japanese speaker in my office say:

No unnecessary lines/features.

Tough/rugged body.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Uselessness at 10/02/2010 - 19:10

chris_jl
mr.mellow wrote:
I've had the Sigma 120-400 HSM for about a year without any problems.
Well, I'm going to find out myself. SRS sales emailed. Looking forward to fun times.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG HSM Lens - any news? at 09/02/2010 - 19:39

chris_jl
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
Hi Chris,

I have not any stock of this lens since September. Every time I speak to Sigma I keep getting fobbed off with delivery dates that never happen..

Their number is 01707 329999 if you wish to speak to them...

If you can track one down elsewhere then I will cancel the order for you. As always, we haven't taken any payment from your account.

I have plenty of 150-500 in stock if you wish to switch!

Chris
Wow - I, hand on heart, take it back - SRS are still damn responsive. I try to keep up to date - but I missed the 150-500 being an HSM in Pentax one as well. Was it always so?

I'm going to take you up on your suggestion - it's only £100 extra and I get the reach for glorious Norfolk and the feathered things. And I'll get it before I take wifey to Blakeney .

Many thanks for getting back so soon.

Chris

Comment by chris_jl posted on Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO DG HSM Lens - any news? at 08/02/2010 - 22:37

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo