chris_jl

Joined: 15th September 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

chris_jl
Together We're Heavy - The Polyphonic Spree is my current GIMPing soundtrack

After that it's usually Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis Scholars and Salve Regina by the monks of St Maurice & St Maur, Clervaux.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Good album to listen to while processing? at 02/06/2010 - 11:30

chris_jl
I like it - one comment (not on quality or composition) is it's rather strange, comparing the original to this, how scale information is almost lost. The picture above looks like a twig or branch in a stream. The colour original looks like a tree trunk in a torrent.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on tree at 02/06/2010 - 10:00

chris_jl
lovejoy01 wrote:
Thats the lens I mean. Whats it like for portraits? Any samples?
I don't classify my photos by lens (sorry) - so I can't definitively give a sample, but I am very happy with the lens and it's one of the last I would be willing to part with should push come to shove.

I'll be using it this coming weekend (hopefully) - another baby shoot so if I remember I'll post results here.

I can certainly say it is an excellent lens.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Sigma 24-70mm. at 31/05/2010 - 20:43

chris_jl
lovejoy01 wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking of getting the sigma 24-70mm hsm for my k7. Being very new to photography, (about 3 months!), I want to know is this suitable for the k7 and has anybody any comments on this lens? Thanking you in advance.
I have that one - the 24-70 HSM f2.8 and it's roughly 50-50 if I have that on the body I'm carrying or the 10-20mm HSM. It's excellent quality, but as Stephen says, it's heavy. Great walkabout lens.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Sigma 24-70mm. at 31/05/2010 - 16:01

chris_jl
Welcome - it's a good community here .

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Hello ^_^ at 29/05/2010 - 19:53

chris_jl
aliengrove wrote:
It seems even snowpersons (to to use their correct, non sexist name) are subject to censorship...

Comment Image


A snowlady that Maria Conneran and her family sculpted in front of their home attracted an anonymous complaint to police who had the family cover up the sculpture with clothing.
We had similar - a student here was fined £30 for making a 'snow penis'. It was outside the copshop but it did at least prove the police in Cambridgeshire have had a humourectomy.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Boobs at 28/05/2010 - 15:21

chris_jl
giofi wrote:
I have read a lot about lenses needing focus adjustment, so I am wondering whether I should adjust focus with my K20D. Is there an easy way to determine whether a lens is front/back focusing? Is there a database of adjustments needed with Pentax lenses or are individual cameras different?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Giorgio
I can only say from personal experience that each are different. As far as I remember the scale is an adjustment in microns (back and forth) of the focus mechanism. I've found it varies by lens, by body and with focus distance and, for zoom lenses, with zoom. Thankfully the K20D has a memory for several lens adjustments. Also I've found it exceptionally difficult to adjust accurately for lenses with focal length less than about 28mm (any hints gratefully accepted).

There are number of online guides to help you find the focus points and you will inevitably find people who criticize them as inaccurate for various reasons (valid and invalid). I've found http://www.zimbio.com/Digital+Cameras/articles/839/AF+adjustment+test+chart+help+Pentax+K20D helps.

I'm sorry if that isn't an amazing amount of help, but I hope it gets you started.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Focus adjustment on K20D at 25/05/2010 - 00:32

chris_jl
Jaq1967 wrote:
I think I'll have a good look at all the settings. :-/
Wild speculation:

I wonder if formatting the card will have an effect - if the file-system on it is fragmented it could slow down rates. Try a deep format when the card is plugged into the PC. I had a Ricoh that wouldn't do bursts unless I had formatted the card beforehand.

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Pentax K-X and continous shoot in sports mode... at 20/05/2010 - 14:33

chris_jl
Jaq1967 wrote:
Hmmm... That is something that crossed my mind but figured class 6 was sufficient. Is it noticably diffrent?
It all depends - the class ratings are based on a synthetic benchmark averaging read and write performance using (IIRC 64k blocks) - this is not the only way you can drive an SD card. This means that my Panasonic class 10 card is poorer in performance than a Sandisk Extreme III class 6 and is useless for recording video on a GF-1 or K7 as it uses the incremental write profile rather than block writes.

I think it is best described that not all class 6 are created equal.

Chris

edit: On my K20D and with a class 6 Sandisk Extreme III I can do bursts of 30ish JPGS before lockup - you should get at least 15 with a K-x

Comment by chris_jl posted on Pentax K-X and continous shoot in sports mode... at 20/05/2010 - 11:40

chris_jl
Dangermouse wrote:

How on earth can you have the "smallest APS-C"? Surely they're all the same size (that of the old APS film frames)?
FWIW typical APS-C format sizes

23.6x15.8 D90 - Nikon DX format
23.7x15.7 K200D
23.4x15.6 K7
22.3x14.9 550D - Canon EF-S mount

C

Comment by chris_jl posted on Icons of Photography at 14/05/2010 - 17:51

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo