All Forum Comments
Comment by Anvh posted on Weekly Competition #70 - Transport at 03/11/2008 - 18:59
but still you need to look at the lanes those are the source of the problem directly or indirectly, atleast without them you wouldn't have had it.
Since I don't have Silkypix, I've tried some stuff with Photoshop on your crop and Filter>Noise>Madian seems to do the trick as well with a radius of 2pixels. I also aplied a copy of the with ontop with a lighten layermode at an opacity of 70% to get some detials back, you can play of course with that to get the right balance.
I've the result here if you want to see it. I really want to compare it with Silkypix, it seems an interesting program but never thought of buying it because I've Photoshop CS3.
Comment by Anvh posted on K20D vertical banding at 03/11/2008 - 15:27
It's hard to disribe what I mean that i don't think you got me yet but with an picture it works better to word myself.

taken from here link
I know it's Nikon but they had the picture I needed.
As you can see the information from the pixels goes to the Column amplifers and each amplifier set his information on a Signal lane. So amplifier 1 set it's info on line 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3 ~ 12 on 12, 13 on 1, 14 on 2, etc. so each pixel row is devided over 12 lanes. If one of those lanes get an interferance of somesort the information gets distorted but since this happends only to one lane (for example lane 1) only pixel row 1, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, etc. gets affected. that's what banding noise is, noise over just one of such lanes.
It can also be an read-out error off such lane by the prime sensor, I don't know but since the only difrence we can find now is the SR system that might be the cause of the disorder. My thought was that it might use extra power or an extra system to stabilize its self and that that might cause an interference on a lane but that's just pure speculation.
Hopefully I'm clearer now, it's so hard to explain somthing in a language not your own.
Stefan.
Comment by Anvh posted on K20D vertical banding at 02/11/2008 - 14:56
Comment by Anvh posted on Hello to all. at 01/11/2008 - 22:08
In short, banding noise = read-out noise. I am no expert on CCD and CMOS sensors, but here's a brief take on this:
Unlike other types of image noise, this is primarily induced by the way the pixels are read as opposed to from thermal noise or statistical variation in the number of photons reaching each site. It results from the pattern/way at which the pixels are read (multiple simultaneous read-outs), combined with performing this read-out at a high speed.
Many newer cameras have problems with banding noise primarily because the pixel information is read in parallel (by several read-out channels) in order to increase how fast they can access the pixel values--and therefore how high of a frame rate the camera can achieve.
While I know this is not your camera, the Canon 20D, for example, has a 4-channel read-out system which allowed it to up the frame rate, but at the expense of increased banding noise in the shadows.
*end*
I don't know how the pentax SR works but it might be that it uses more power to stabilze it's self or that an exra device is used for that? but my idea is that maybe one of the powerlines for stabilizing the SR system might run to close to one of the channels of an read-out system. So when power runs over it, it might cause interference.
I'm just speculating here but it does connect the banding noise with the SR. There is also no prove that the SR system is at fault.
I just don't think that the senor can move so neatly to a side that it leaves perfect vertical lines.
Comment by Anvh posted on K20D vertical banding at 01/11/2008 - 17:38
Only guesing now *sighs* it really shouldn't happen with such a camera.
Does anyone have an idea it's the sensor or the in camera processing that cause this?
The GX-20 has the same sensor but Samsung uses there own software if I'm correct, has these models have the same problem?
Stefan.
-edit-
*Quote* Banding noise is highly camera-dependent, and is noise which is introduced by the camera when it reads data from the digital sensor. Banding noise is most visible at high ISO speeds and in the shadows, or when an image has been excessively brightened. Banding noise can also increase for certain white balances, depending on camera model.
So it's an hardware thing right
Comment by Anvh posted on K20D vertical banding at 01/11/2008 - 14:50
Comment by Anvh posted on K20D firmware at 31/10/2008 - 19:54
Yeah it would have no chance to recover out of an spin with one wing.
The spin looks also awefully slow for such a light aircraft and it's far too controlled. Have you seen the weird turn it does around 42sec you need both wings for that I believe.
Well the landing is completly fake of the original vid, just after the turn it becomes a cgi/3d model, you can see that clearly when the plain is on the ground.
Comment by Anvh posted on flying with one wing at 31/10/2008 - 19:44
How come that you know so much about it?
Comment by Anvh posted on flying with one wing at 31/10/2008 - 17:01
Just saw your other photo in the photo forum and I really like the colour of his fur there, don't really know which I like more.
This one is just good and pleasing to my eyes but the other has the contrast and the air that this one is missing. I hope I make some sense
Comment by Anvh posted on Hello everybody at 31/10/2008 - 11:41


Could someone plz enlighten me as to how I go about entering these competitions.. or perhaps point me to a thread telling me how..
Or am I asking something that should be obvious again?
Gallery>Competitions>click on the current competition and you will see where to click on next
or just simply click here for a direct link (this week only though)
Hopefully that will do it and don't upload anything better than me now
Stefan.