amilner

Joined: 17th May 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

amilner
PMs responded too (and a couple of other offers which were not flagged here). 17, 28 & 60-250 under offer. 135 still up for grabs...

Comment by amilner posted on DA*/60-250, F/28 2.8, A 135/2.8 K 17/4 Fisheye at 06/10/2013 - 22:29

amilner
Price Drop
DA* 60-250 £700
F 28 2.8 £120
A 155 2.8 £80
Fisheye £180

I will hang on to the DA* if they don't sell at these prices, and take the other over to ebay

Comment by amilner posted on DA*/60-250, F/28 2.8, A 135/2.8 K 17/4 Fisheye at 06/10/2013 - 19:33

amilner
OK I am reducing the DA* to £750 (£850 was perhaps a bit optimistic). I am also open to reasonable offers on the other three.

I would also be open to a direct swap of the DA* 60-250 for the DA* 300

Comment by amilner posted on DA*/60-250, F/28 2.8, A 135/2.8 K 17/4 Fisheye at 30/09/2013 - 21:06

amilner
Unless you want the shallow DOF you might be better upgrading the camera body to the K50 or KII and using higher ISO and your 50-200. It would be cheaper!

Comment by amilner posted on 70-200 2.8: Sigma vs Tamron at 29/09/2013 - 11:52

amilner
These four lenses are seriously underused and would welcome more employment, and I would welcome the cash.

SMC DA* 60-250 f4 ED[IF] SDM
I don't really need to say what a good lens this is. I bought not long after it came out as a perfect companion to a standard zoon. But I just find it too big and bulky for day-to-day use and too short when I am prepared to cart around a heavy lens to photograph wildlife (so the Sigma 17-500 gets used on those occasions). As a consequence it has seen little use, so apart from a few marks on the filter thread and on the inside of the hood (the felt coating is easily parked) it is just about as new.
Boxed, with all its 'bits' including the lens bag.
£850 inc. postage in UK.

SMC F 28mm f2.8
A nice compact lens which gives an equivalent view on APSC to 43mm on full frame (remember that number - it was supposed to be the 'perfect standard' FOV). It does not have a stellar reputation for sharpness but I find it fine. However when I want to use a lens of this sort of focal length I am much more likely to reach for my FA 35 2.0
In at least EX++ condition - optically unblemished and mechanically fine - just slight markings on the lens mount and filter thread.
With box (incl. polystyrene insert) and Pentax caps. No hood - I don't think it came with one.
£150 inc. postage in UK.

SMC A 135mm f2.8
A nice example of this lens - again EX++, optically unblemished and mechanically fine with very slight usage marks on the body. With Pentax caps and matching HB 120 case, which is also in surprisingly good condition - I would say EX+
£120 inc. postage in UK.

SMC 17/4 Fisheye
Obviously this relatively rare lens is best used on film bodies as the 180 corner to corner view is only available on full frame (of course you may want to snaffle it up before its value rockets when the mythical Pentax FF digital body emerges...). Now I have the Samyang fisheye it gets even less use than before.
EX+-EX++ Optically unblemished and all the mechanics are smooth. there is some slight paint loss on the corners of the filter ring where the 'cutouts' are. With Pentax caps and a slightly battered looking case.
£200 including postage in UK

Pictures of all four lenses can be found here on my Flickr pages

Payment ideally by bank transfer, but I can also take paypal or cheque.

Offer a loving home to these poor neglected lenses!

Tony

Comment by amilner posted on DA*/60-250, F/28 2.8, A 135/2.8 K 17/4 Fisheye at 29/09/2013 - 11:34

amilner
It bears some similarities to the Sigma 400 5.6 lens which they used to make. The latter came in both manual and AF versions. The later APO one was reportedly better than the no APO one, which I had for a while and which was a bit on the soft side.

Comment by amilner posted on Sigma 500mm F7.2 - Pentax fit at 16/09/2013 - 17:45

amilner
Neither do I being a Lightroom user (though I have used the Pentax software in the past), but Nikon used not to provide RAW conversion software with their DSLRs, but have it as a purchasable extra if I recall.

Comment by amilner posted on Ricoh GR Vs Nikon Coolpix at 19/08/2013 - 18:01

amilner
Although it is a bit of a pain having to order one, as the GR uses the same battery as its predecessors, 3rd party chargers are easily available for a fraction of the (highly inflated) price of the Ricoh one. But even if you order the Ricoh one, the GR still works out cheaper than the Nikon.

I also find the holster case a very useful accessory. The best belt attaching case I have used!

Now waiting for a third party filter holder/hood. I object to paying £60 for a couple of bits of plastic (and even if they are metal it is still a silly price)

Just out of curiosity - do Nikon supply any RAW conversion software with their camera?

Comment by amilner posted on Ricoh GR Vs Nikon Coolpix at 18/08/2013 - 12:26

amilner
My GR arrived Friday.

First impressions are
- It is very quick to use. I was 'snapping' at a number of end of term events and found it a joy to use.
- The screen is superb
- It is exceedingly sharp
- High ISO performace is excellent. I cant see myself using the flash for anything other than fill-in
- Once you turn of the electronic noises, it is very quiet
- It is a bit 'brick' like but feels solid and comfortable in the hand.

Minor gripes
- Flare resistance is not great.
- While the exposure compensation rocker is nicely placed for use, it requires quite a light touch and so is rather easy to operate accidentally.
- Not including a battery charger is a bit stingy, and the price of the optional one (£39.99) is ridiculous. I'll be looking for a third party one!
- The filter adaptor and hood kit - given it is just a couple of bits of plastic - is also rather overpriced. I may try and devise something.
- The English translation in the manual is not great (but at least we get a manual!)

The GC-5 leather case which is designed to go on a belt is a useful addition, and therefore I would recommend paying the extra £25 for that and a 16mb SD card that SRS are offering.

Conclusion - an arguably unbeatable 'street' camera, and probably a great 'party' camera also

Comment by amilner posted on Ricoh GR First Impressions at 15/07/2013 - 08:51

amilner
Brilliant lens - I've had mine over 10 years.

Comment by amilner posted on Sigma 105 Pentax Question at 02/07/2013 - 07:53

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo