All Forum Comments
Comment by Aitch53 posted on What software? at 08/02/2015 - 20:17
I haven't had a BSOD on Windows 8 or 8.1. I only restart the machine after updates.
This thread is supposed to be about Windows 10 being free, not another slag fest for 8.1 haters and. Apple fanboys.
It really has served it's purpose now.
There plenty of information and instructions for both W8.1 and 10 on the web now.
I suggest you go read up on both.
Anyway, due to curiosity and a slight surplus of funds, I recently bought myself a cheap Lenovo 8.1 laptop to see how much of an improvement it is over 8, which I tried last year and dumped after a couple of weeks.
It doesn't have a great deal of memory, so it's a bit slow. And, to stay in desktop and other reasons, I've had to disable quite a lot of the options for the touchpad driver. But I'll only be using it for the internet and other simple stuff so I'll stick with it and see how things go.
Major annoyances so far include hiding the ability to create local accounts in an attempt to force users to have Microsoft internet based accounts and when you do manage to create a local account (or any account) the first time you log in it goes through a load of, to my mind, unnecessary setting up.
It also took a heck of a long time to set up the first time - including a gig and a half of updates to the OS! But that is not 8.1 specific - I had the same problem when I upgraded to 7.
It will do for simple use and for trying out 10 when it arrives, but I'm not that impressed so far.
Comment by Aitch53 posted on WIndows 10 at 25/01/2015 - 11:20
What drives me mad is the fact the adverts in the right hand column on my laptop are very nearly the same size as the allowed photo display size.
Crazy.
Comment by Aitch53 posted on New PU interface - URGENT! at 21/01/2015 - 17:11
Might work for the grand-kids too...
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Fav spider at 21/01/2015 - 17:05
Excellent, it's nice to have a change now and again!
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Avatar changing?????????????????? at 12/01/2015 - 16:50
But whatever, welcome aboard.
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Portuguese pentaxian at 05/01/2015 - 18:29
I just get a bit peeved when it is assumed that my reasons for rejecting 8 are simple resistance to change, rather than the fact that I actually did try it for a while and found it lacking.
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Elements with Windows 8 at 04/01/2015 - 22:32
None of the previous Windows OS were slow..... It was the hardware that was slow
If you put 32 bit Windows NT on modern hardware everyone would complain
that it was too fast.... at 8 MB total it would load in about 2 secs.
...
If they'd just fixed any outstanding bugs in 7, done all the tuning they did for 8 (which I will admit was/is impressive) and maybe given a choice of front-end...
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Elements with Windows 8 at 04/01/2015 - 19:06
Imagine if cameras never evolved
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Elements with Windows 8 at 04/01/2015 - 17:56
Ultimately it is a brave move.
The world is moving on. Touch screens are becoming more and more the norm.
W10 will know whether it has a touch screen available or not,or if there is a mouse or pen attached, and will modify itself accordingly, including for hybrid tablet/laptops and the likes of the Lenovo Flex.
Maybe 8 was a step too far for many stick in the muds who expected just another mild change, taking up even more computing space and working even slower than the previous OS. That would have resulted in the usual complaints that it ain't XP blah blah blah.
The fact is, they went for revolution, not evolution. Possibly a good move for them - it will get the next generation of users on board. But the older users in positions of authority, may have been dithering over a move to unix/linus and stop dithering.
Oh and the reason for Windows 10 not Windows 9 is to avoid any associations with the terrible Win95.
Comment by Aitch53 posted on Elements with Windows 8 at 04/01/2015 - 15:20


Or to put it another way, I had version 2 for years, then upgraded to 11.
The latest version of ACR covers all the cameras (that do RAW) that I own.