Aitch53

Joined: 30th August 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Aitch53
Gwyn wrote:

W10 will be a further embroidering on W8 so you had better get used to the idea.
I think that's a major part of the problem - MicroSoft decided to go all out for the tablet/touch-screen/upgrading-from-a-smartphone end of the market and to hell with the laptop/desktop users. When you've got millions of comfortable users, throwing their comfort out of the window is a brave/stupid move.

This report on W8, from the early days, may be of interest/use.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on Elements with Windows 8 at 04/01/2015 - 14:38

Aitch53
1. Make a decision on whether to go the DSLR route (Pentax) or continue with CSC/m43 (Panasonic). That may take some time to do...

2. Need to start shooting RAW at some point. Which means a fair amount of time getting used to Adobe's ACR with PSE.

3. Get ruthless with all the pictures on my hard-drive (currently separate folders for 6 different cameras, each containing lots of folders for each date) and winnow out the duff ones! Plus set up a proper work-flow process. This, also, may take some time...

Comment by Aitch53 posted on Photographic "ambitions" for 2015 at 04/01/2015 - 13:10

Aitch53
MrB wrote:
Aitch53 wrote:

Depending on how I get on with it, my next problem will be to decide what 'kit' lens to go for.
A good choice would be the Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm weather resistant zoom.

If you don't mind manual and want a good but cheaper option, get the Pentax-M (or A) 28mm from e.g. eBay, to take along with your 50, 135, and 200.

Cheers.
Philip
I've just been checking my collection of old lenses and discovered I have a Pentax-A 35-105 Macro. I think that might make a reasonable 'kit' lens until I decide what to go for next, which will probably be the 18-55 kit lens - the only way I can afford to get a wide angle lens.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on I'm back... at 29/12/2014 - 16:04

Aitch53
swarf wrote:
I've never felt the inclination to put my Pentax, or anything similar on a set of scales...
Neither had I...

...but, if you're interested (or even if you're not), the k20d plus the 50mm f1.7 is exactly (or as exact as my kitched scales get) 900 grammes.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on I'm back... at 26/12/2014 - 20:29

Aitch53
Gwyn wrote:


St Aines Upon Thames? My birthplace!
That's the one - we were trying to upgrade the name before they just tacked Upon Thames on the end.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on I'm back... at 26/12/2014 - 16:27

Aitch53
...though how long for, depends...

A few months back I was walking past our local branch of CashConvertors, and in the window they had a k100d with kit lens for £149. Interesting, I thought and when I got home got onto the laptop and started Googling.

As you all know, it's only 6MP (and it wasn't even the Super version), so I started looking into other older Pentax DSLRs and their prices - they do seem to hold value, don't they? And after looking around, checking specs and sample images, and an abortive attempt to buy a k200d, I eventually came across a k20d (body only) for less than £200.

Well, I was doing all this checking because I've been wondering about getting hold of a used Pentax DSLR, to see if they suit me more than the X-5 (don't like) and my Panasonic G series CSCs (do like) so I thought, "What the hell, it's Christmas," and bought it. It came with nearly all the bits and pieces and now has the Pentax-A f1.7 50mm lens off my Super-A attached. And a couple of older K lenses 135mm and 200mm) waiting in the wings...

No serious use yet - I'm still getting the feel of it and working my way through the (printed!) manual. First impressions are that it's bl**dy heavy for its size and the controls are a bit complex. But I like the extra weight - the X-5 and, to an extent, the Gs are a bit light for comfort.

Depending on how I get on with it, my next problem will be to decide what 'kit' lens to go for.

More news (and pictures, of course) as and when.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on I'm back... at 26/12/2014 - 16:11

Aitch53
I should have kept my Diana-F outfit. Cost me under a quid at the time. They go (new) for about fifty, these days.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on Cameras we don't have anymore at 16/12/2014 - 19:46

Aitch53
fritzthedog wrote:
Call me a traditionalist but I prefer Christmas Turkey to a Christmas Beetle
...
Yeah, but with a beetle, even if there's more than two of you, you still get a leg each.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on Christmas beetle at 14/12/2014 - 13:50

Aitch53
I've had an X5 for a while, but have hardly ever used it - I just didn't get on with it. So I replaced it with a Panasonic G3 and then G5. However, yesterday I thought I'd give it another chance and took it out for a walk. Herwith some of the results...

'You can see my nest from here'
[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/Aitch453/X5-Test/Bird-54.jpg[/IMG]

'Through a glass... brokenly'
[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/Aitch453/X5-Test/Mirror-66.jpg[/IMG]

'Odd Man Out'
[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/Aitch453/X5-Test/OMO-59.jpg[/IMG]

The long zoom is pretty good, but I still find the handling ropey - I'll keep it for emergencies, so there may be the odd post from me, but it will never be my main camera.

Comment by Aitch53 posted on X5 Test at 05/11/2014 - 15:15

Aitch53
Well, after a few months, I have come to the conclusion that the X5 and I are not meant to be partners - I just don't get on with it. It has been swapped for a Panasonic G3 and now I, at least, am happy.

Shame really; my first decent SLR was an MX, my first digital was an Optio 33LF. But I don't want a DSLR and none of Pentax's CSCs have what I want so it's the parting of the ways.

Not much point me hanging around here any more, though I may drop in occasionally on the off-chance that Pentax decide to produce a camera I want to buy.

Best wishes, guys and gals, and have fun!

Comment by Aitch53 posted on Farewell at 04/05/2014 - 16:20

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo