Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Elements with Windows 8

FAT8BIKER
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:27 Link
Thinking of updating to window 8, but there appears to be a lot of unhappy people who cant run elements 11 with this OS.
Any one on the forum had this trouble, and did you manage to resolve it.
Cheers
Dave
McGregNi
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:37 - Helpful Comment Link
I would strongly advise you to try and avoid Windows 8 if at all possible. I was forced to get it with a laptop (not my photo/video machine thank goodness) and it is every bit as bad as the poor reception it got when announced suggested. The mishmash of desktop and touchscreen elements makes it a nightmare to navigate . Even the basics like easy access to shutdown and switch user commands is a screw-up, and the constant too and froing back and forwards from the desktop to the 'start screen' drives me mad! Avoid it at all possible ..... The next version 10 is rumoured to restore the better aspects of Windows 7, which IMO is the best OS to get for now. If you can get a machine with 7 or install it, or wait for 10 I am sure you won't regret it ... Get 8 and you sure will!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
FAT8BIKER
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:48 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I would strongly advise you to try and avoid Windows 8 if at all possible. I was forced to get it with a laptop (not my photo/video machine thank goodness) and it is every bit as bad as the poor reception it got when announced suggested. The mishmash of desktop and touchscreen elements makes it a nightmare to navigate . Even the basics like easy access to shutdown and switch user commands is a screw-up, and the constant too and froing back and forwards from the desktop to the 'start screen' drives me mad! Avoid it at all possible ..... The next version 10 is rumoured to restore the better aspects of Windows 7, which IMO is the best OS to get for now. If you can get a machine with 7 or install it, or wait for 10 I am sure you won't regret it ... Get 8 and you sure will!

Cheers
Dave
davidstorm
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:52 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I would strongly advise you to try and avoid Windows 8 if at all possible.

What on earth are you on about Nigel? Windows 8 is the best and most stable Windows OS ever, most people who complain about it do so because they have got used to earlier versions of Windows and cannot get used to Windows 8 because it's different. It's a bit like people saying the old VW Beetle was a better car than the new Beetles are. Windows 8 has to cater for touch screen use as well as traditional PC use and this is probably why it is so different, but different does not mean 'worse'.

I work in a software environment and can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that Windows 8 outperforms all previous versions, there is no reason for anyone to avoid it.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
wvbarnes
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:56 Link
Windows 8.1 on my i7 powered PC is even more efficient than 8 and works superbly for photo editing.

The Latest Serif Photoplus X7 I use is written for it, has full 64 bit scanner support, 16 bit RGB editing, high res monitor support and a good RAW studio.

I boot directly to desktop (one time simple selection on task bar) so have little to do with the Start Screen Apps.
Edited by wvbarnes: 03/01/2015 - 21:59
davidstorm
Posted 03/01/2015 - 21:59 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Windows 7, which IMO is the best OS to get for now. If you can get a machine with 7 or install it, or wait for 10 I am sure you won't regret it ... Get 8 and you sure will!

No, Windows 7 is very buggy in comparison with Windows 8. I have a lot of experience with this, across many PC's we operate at work. Windows 7 has a tendency to 'blue screen', Windows 8 doesn't. I can't comment on whether or not Elements 11 runs on Windows 8.

McGregNi wrote:
Even the basics like easy access to shutdown and switch user commands is a screw-up, and the constant too and froing back and forwards from the desktop to the 'start screen' drives me mad!

You clearly don't understand how to use Windows 8 Nigel, there is absolutely no need or reason to keep going to and fro from desktop to the start scree, I don't do this because I don't need to. You just need to set up your desktop properly and if you do so, you don't need to go back to the start screen. You can also set up Win8 to boot directly to the traditional desktop screen (which mine does) and then you only visit the start screen when you really want to.

People used to think the world was flat you know, if they sailed too far they would fall off the edge! Misunderstanding something does not mean that your opinions are factually correct.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 03/01/2015 - 21:59
McGregNi
Posted 03/01/2015 - 22:15 Link
I've read about it, set it up for multiple users, and tried to follow the way it works ... It Is a mess in terms of intuition and logic. I repeat my advice to anyone thinking of upgrading ... Try and skip it if at all of possible. My advice is based on regular use of it, for normal average computing stuff.

The aps are rubbish ... For example, the PDF reader keeps sticking with one document, continuing to open it repeatedly even after clicking on different documents to run it. Installing again made no difference. Its a waste of time IMO, an insult to loyal windows users who deserve a free upgrade to 10! I am entitled to my opinion which is based on actual experience. No doubt there are a multitude of workarounds and fixes (such as the classic shell) that can try and help ... But a decent OS should just do the basics properly out if the box!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 03/01/2015 - 22:31
FAT8BIKER
Posted 03/01/2015 - 22:20 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
Windows 8.1 on my i7 powered PC is even more efficient than 8 and works superbly for photo editing.

The Latest Serif Photoplus X7 I use is written for it, has full 64 bit scanner support, 16 bit RGB editing, high res monitor support and a good RAW studio.

I boot directly to desktop (one time simple selection on task bar) so have little to do with the Start Screen Apps.

Bill
Would you say i7 is better than i5 for photo editing.
Cheers
Daver
jemx99
Posted 03/01/2015 - 22:31 Link
I've heard so many people complain about Windows 8 / 8.1 but I think it's excellent - very stable and starts and shuts down quickly, I find it easy to use too and certainly recommend it. Not sure if Elements 11 runs on it as I don't have it but Photoshop CS2 works fine and that's ancient compared to Elements 11. In my opinion the best Windows yet by miles.
Edited by jemx99: 03/01/2015 - 22:34
McGregNi
Posted 03/01/2015 - 22:35 Link
Jemx99, why do you think you have heard so many people complain about windows 8?
jemx99
Posted 03/01/2015 - 22:39 Link
Seems to happen everytime a new Windows version comes out.
wvbarnes
Posted 03/01/2015 - 23:08 - Helpful Comment Link
Cheers
Daver[/quote]

I had the original i7 in my last PC and had a third generation one now (my son has the latest fourth generation which are cool running too). The four actual cores plus the four virtual cores means that it very efficiently can run the now more efficient 8 OS, my photo software (designed for multi core), my web and DTP software, background scans etc all at once without running out of steam. I have a 2gb graphics card and 8 gb of motherboard RAM.

Unless I could afford a very posh one I'd never use a laptop over a desktop, every component in a desktop runs faster. Laptops have to compromise due to heat constraints, slower memory chips, slower processors,slower hard drives like for like etc.
Edited by wvbarnes: 03/01/2015 - 23:21
FAT8BIKER
Posted 03/01/2015 - 23:57 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
Cheers
Daver

I had the original i7 in my last PC and had a third generation one now (my son has the latest fourth generation which are cool running too). The four actual cores plus the four virtual cores means that it very efficiently can run the now more efficient 8 OS, my photo software (designed for multi core), my web and DTP software, background scans etc all at once without running out of steam. I have a 2gb graphics card and 8 gb of motherboard RAM.
Thanks Bill
Cheers
Dave

Unless I could afford a very posh one I'd never use a laptop over a desktop, every component in a desktop runs faster. Laptops have to compromise due to heat constraints, slower memory chips, slower processors,slower hard drives like for like etc.[/quote]
richandfleur
Posted 04/01/2015 - 06:09 Link
Update 8.1 seemed to resolve a lot of the issues, but my gut feeling is that the attempt to merge a touch screen and a traditional mouse based interface into some uniform interaction across multiple technology platforms didn't work so well.

I'm still running 7 and won't move from this until 10 arrives, but at the same time I do believe that 8 (8.1 specifically) is now pretty much stable and is probably the best option out there now.
Edited by richandfleur: 04/01/2015 - 06:09
Algernon
Posted 04/01/2015 - 09:05 Link
FAT8BIKER wrote:

Bill
Cheers
Daver

There isn't much in it with the better ones and there are some slow i7's

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4993/11/intel-core-i3-4330--i5-4440-review-affor...

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.