Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Please Sort It Out

DrOrloff
Posted 02/07/2014 - 09:59 Link
Having returned from a week and a half away I find the forum has suffered rather in terms of content and activity recently.

What I find is not really an awful lot going on, a surprising number of banned members, some clear attempts at mischief making and really just a bad taste in the mouth. It feels like the aftermath of a skirmish, a real lowpoint for this place and a shame.

If it weren't for the photos of Blythman and a few others I would see little reason to stay here at present apart from the odd foray into the classifieds.

I am not in the slightest bit interested in any discussion on the whys and wherefors. I just hope that through whatever means the relationship between those who own and run the forum and the membership is rebuilt so that the focus can be on generating worthwhile content again.

I will move a few rows back and hope for the better. I have no further comment.
McGregNi
Posted 02/07/2014 - 10:46 Link
It is a shame, absolutely. I was surprized that so many people have had such strong feelings. But we all want different things from a forum, and I have remained active here because I don't have the time to split my activities between sites and I find this site comfortable and easy to navigate around. The great support and helpful advice still amazes me ... I was stunned at how concerned people were recently in helping me get some closer focussing capability, plus good encouragement with the first results.

Of course I am aware of the .eu site and have looked with interest because a number of members from here have joined, and like most I like a bit of gossip! But really there's not enough depth there I find ... It is funny really isn't it, that the admin of that site is now being hounded by some 'ex' members here to make the .eu site work more like Pentax User!!

I don't see much point in our little UK Pentax community being split like this. I will watch with interest, but I wish also that more of us can get back to posting, supporting each other and getting the good word out about Pentax cameras and system. This still seems to me to be the best place for that.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 02/07/2014 - 10:49
johnriley
Posted 02/07/2014 - 10:51 Link
It's already sorted out, it doesn't really help very much to bring it up again.

Let's get back to the photography, which, in fact, we have already been doing.
Best regards, John
DrOrloff
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:02 Link
I thought a plea to get the forum back on track was helping and supporting the forum. Looks like you just want me to shut up. I think I probably will.
Edited by DrOrloff: 02/07/2014 - 11:02
aliengrove
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:04 Link
What did I miss? Whatever it was, guess it's all been deleted? Didn't realise we'd had another round of bannings.
johnriley
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:09 Link
Sometimes it's better to let it go, move on and post something about photography.

Nobody wants anybody to shut up, but opening this subject again isn't helping at all. It's all been said, you can see that for yourselves if you have a look.

So read it all if you want to, but let's not have yet another thread on the subject?
Best regards, John
DrOrloff
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:20 Link
I just wanted to lend my support to restore the forum to what it once was having been very surprised by the fallout after a trip away.

What I found was that, for example, Cabstar's Glastonbury shots which I always thoroughly enjoy, were posted elsewhere rather than here. I really didn't expect that put down. I would just prefer that the forum is improved.

I will post my own Glastonbury photos alongside Cabstar's. I shall return here with my photos when I am no longer treated like a schoolchild.
Edited by DrOrloff: 02/07/2014 - 11:21
SteveF
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:24 Link
"Cabstar's Glastonbury shots which I always thoroughly enjoy, were posted elsewhere rather than here"

But I thought Gary is on "a Pentax hiatus" and therefore can't post his shots here? (or am I missing something?)
McGregNi
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:26 Link
We all have to decide what we value most, then put the time in where it works best. I follow the main Pentax sites but I don't have time to get involved and generate 'content' across multiple sites. The .eu one has gained attention because of what happened here and the new batch of familiar names.

But they're not helping our fractured community ... those of us who have stayed here have been described as 'sycophants' over there! Gee, thanks a lot!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Blythman
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:27 Link
Just because someone says its been sorted doesn't mean it is. Adrian's post seemed quite reasonable to me. I accept that Gary's photos will have been shot with a Nikon, but that's just a small element.

McGregNi wrote:
.... I like a bit of gossip!...

Its the nature of a lot of the gossip thats stops me participating on the new forum. Guess as a forum it will eventually mature (or die). Certainly don't rule out participating in the future.

Disappointed if there hasn't been some learning taken on board on here following recent activities
Alan

PPG
Flickr
McGregNi
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:27 Link
SteveF wrote:
"Cabstar's Glastonbury shots which I always thoroughly enjoy, were posted elsewhere rather than here"

But I thought Gary is on "a Pentax hiatus" and therefore can't post his shots here? (or am I missing something?)

I saw those ... Full of the most awful noise! He should have used a K5!
Edited by McGregNi: 02/07/2014 - 11:29
DrOrloff
Posted 02/07/2014 - 11:42 Link
Well I did shoot Glastonbury shots with a K5 (and also an iphone). I didn't know Gary was using a Nikon but, whatever, I shall try and find somewhere I can post my images in an atmosphere of goodwill.
davidstorm
Posted 02/07/2014 - 14:05 Link
I think also that Adrian is raising a reasonable point and trying to help 'stop the rot' as it were of people moving away from this site to the other forum, which in recent weeks has happened in droves.

This is why, as Adrian correctly points out, the activity on this forum has been scant and of limited interest lately.

As it happens, I like a lot about this site, I find the Gallery and the Forum easy to use and I like the people on here. I am also one however who has registered on the other forum and I'm currently undecided about whether or not to stay on here, due to the fact that people continue to leave and there seems to be no recognition that changes are required. At the end of the day, that is fair enough, I don't have any problems with it as I'm only a user of the website as is everyone else, but I can choose not to use it also and if enough other people take that decision it will not be successful in the longer term.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 02/07/2014 - 14:06
joshwa
Posted 02/07/2014 - 14:23 Link
Blythman wrote:
Disappointed if there hasn't been some learning taken on board on here following recent activities

We are going to be looking at ways of improving Pentax User / learning from what has happened - over the next couple of weeks, but just because it's behind the scenes and being discussed doesn't mean that nothing is happening.

Someone suggested a Pentax User (site) survey, which we may be doing to see how we can improve the site. Someone else pointed out that articles haven't been updated for a while, and although reviews have been, we will also be looking at this.

We do value members on here, and love it when people post photos on here, so please do keep sharing your photos / posting in the forum etc
McGregNi
Posted 02/07/2014 - 14:24 Link
DrOrloff wrote:
Well I did shoot Glastonbury shots with a K5 (and also an iphone). I didn't know Gary was using a Nikon but, whatever, I shall try and find somewhere I can post my images in an atmosphere of goodwill.

I suppose the atmosphere is what we make it. I find my allegiances' rather challenged at present, but I've always offered up my comments with complete goodwill. I haven't always had much in return, and some people who have taken up camp in the .eu have frankly been bl...y rude at times, so at present its hard to feel much personal empathy. So it comes down to practicality then.

I look forward to the powers that be here taking notice and making some changes and I hope they can appeal to all uk Pentax people as I don't think it does any good to have us all fractured in this way.
Edited by McGregNi: 02/07/2014 - 14:34

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.