Should I be taking my images at ISO 200

stub

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 09:15
I have just read that for crop sensor camera's the native Iso is 200, and not 100 as It was for a film camera. So presumably I should be taking all my images at this setting for best results. I don't really understand what Im saying here so was hoping to discuss it....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

doingthebobs

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 09:36
Well one things for sure, Film cameras don't have a 'native' ISO. The sensitivity of the film camera is purely down to the film that is loaded. Put an ISO32000 film in and that is the light sensitivity you have got, until you change the film.

As for the digital camera, I guess it all depends on the camera model you have. I'm sure someone who knows more about it will be along in a moment.
Bob

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 10:03
The native ISO will give the lowest noise and highest sharpness no doubt, but I think you're using the K-5 in which case you don't need to worry at ISO values up to 1600. It's much more important to reduce camera shake and get sharp images when needed.

Photography is an art form though, and low noise may not always be what's needed. When using film the character of films was very different and ISO 100 wasn't a "holy grail" for best results. Films ran down to ISO 25 for finest grain, but with the downside of higher contrast. These films were best when needed, but not for general purposes. ISO 400 films would help to ensure faster shutter speeds and hence less shake, so might be sharper in some situations than slower films.

If it helps, I use ISO 400 routinely on my K-5 and ISO 200 on my K20D. I will dial in any ISO needed in low light situations. Better sharp and noisy than blurred and low noise.
Best regards, John

wvbarnes

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 11:17
Hi,

My K5 has a Sony sensor made to Pentax's spec I believe. The standard ISO range is 100 - 12800 The forced extended range is 80 - 51200

The lower the ISO the greater the dynamic range. My understanding is the camera applies more voltage to the sensor to raise the ISO, thus the eventual noise if you go high enough on any camera.The K5 at least is brilliant higher as John says. I use TAV mode routinely allowing the ISO to vary up to 1600 as standfard.

DXO mark have the technical stuff on all this.Better to just get out and enjoy your camera.

stub

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 16:07
I realise that you can use high Iso's on modern day equipment. I very often use Iso 12800 in my low light nightclub gigging shots. The point I was making was for optimum results...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 18:01
I understand native ISO for your camera is 200.
Best regards, John

wvbarnes

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 18:07
This test seems to confirm 80 for the K5 link

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 18:11
That's not the native ISO though, it's just the comparison settings were chosen as the lowest and ISO 1600.
Best regards, John

wvbarnes

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 18:38
I thought I'd read this before. We need a FAQ section for this... link

johnriley

Link Posted 31/08/2014 - 18:46
It would still need updating Bill, because much information isn't written in stone and it fluctuates as the technology moves on. But yes, we do revisit things on a regular basis!
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.