Please Sort It Out

RayB

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 14:07
DrOrloff wrote:
Having returned from a week and a half away I find the forum has suffered rather in terms of content and activity recently.

What I find is not really an awful lot going on, a surprising number of banned members, some clear attempts at mischief making and really just a bad taste in the mouth. It feels like the aftermath of a skirmish, a real lowpoint for this place and a shame.

Who's been banned, then?

DrOrloff

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 16:12
I believe MattyH, Dougf8, Gamka, Cardiff Gareth have all been banned. Maybe some more. Missed it all and I don't really want to know what went on. But there must be a better way of dealing with things all round.

I'm glad Josh & co are going to take a look at things. I hope changes are made that will facilitate a happier forum.

Ironically I do have photos to share - from Glastonbury and quite an interesting set I think. They are a mixture of K5 and iphone so I can't really present them here as I would wish since the iphone shots are prohibited. I'll upload them to my recently started Adrian Mills Photography facebook page if anyone is interested.

In the meantime I'll check back in a few weeks to see how the post review forum looks.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 03/07/2014 - 21:10
The less said about what went on the better, one move by a Mod that was considered controversial and the site went into civil war, the moment the mob went into mod-baiting all sense of reason was lost. I expected better behaviour by some people, perhaps it was a way to get people to move to their 'pub'.
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

derek897

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 00:00
I miss the old pu.
Derek.
I know what i like, If not always why.

Horst

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 04:03
Quote:
I believe MattyH, Dougf8, Gamka, Cardiff Gareth have all been banned. Maybe some more.

Was it something they said?

Regards, Horst

RayB

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 04:46
Blimey, that seems to be a high number of (hitherto) regular posters...

I think the recent upheaval shows that the membership would like to see some change and it would appear that the owners might be doing something to facilitate this.

I don't think the forum would survive another "civil war"; hopefully lessons have been learned on all sides. Ultimately, PU need the members otherwise they won't get the advertising revenue.

People power, I think it's called

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 20:34
I hope we see some changes. I have no idea what caused so many active members to be banned, missed it all, but banning people can't be the way forward. It's not the first time it's happened, either, and as I remember it the previous time was over a storm in a teacup. A forum shouldn't be run as an oligarchy. Maybe we need a few more moderators on here? Meanwhile I'm going to keep a very low profile around here, and see what happens. Hopefully things will change for the better.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

ronniemac

Link Posted 04/07/2014 - 22:38
aliengrove wrote:
I hope we see some changes. I have no idea what caused so many active members to be banned, missed it all, but banning people can't be the way forward. It's not the first time it's happened, either, and as I remember it the previous time was over a storm in a teacup. A forum shouldn't be run as an oligarchy. Maybe we need a few more moderators on here? Meanwhile I'm going to keep a very low profile around here, and see what happens. Hopefully things will change for the better.

I do agree. When some members are banned, others leave to join the site where they are now active so that they can continue to converse with them Ė or simply because they donít agree with the way this site is being policed. Although there are many excellent features and engaging members on Pentax User I have somewhat curtailed my activity here for the above reasons. I hope this need only be a temporary situation, but moderation processes will have to improve if this site is going to attract back those who are no longer contributing.

mudge

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 00:33
Any site I have been on with a Forum attracts people who want to stir up things, just for the sake of it! Actually, they cannot help themselves! And even sites without a formal Forum still attracts the knockers! (Yes, for the knockers, I know I shouldn't start a sentence with "And")
Let's just keep to producing and posting pictures (which speak a thousand words!) and do less chating! It's a photography site, not a Debating Society!
Last Edited by mudge on 05/07/2014 - 00:34

Horst

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 00:51
Mudge wrote:

Quote:
Any site I have been on with a Forum attracts people who want to stir up things, just for the sake of it! Actually, they cannot help themselves! And even sites without a formal Forum still attracts the knockers!

When members who had send many posts and have been quite a long time contributing to this site are complaining or unhappy with certain aspects,
it does.t mean they are stirrers or knockers. If they where, they would have done this right at the start of their membership.

If someone has to say something which you don't like, either answer or
don't. You are not forced to do anything.

Quote:
Let's just keep to producing and posting pictures (which speak a thousand words!) and do less chating! It's a photography site, not a Debating Society!

Agreed, it is a photography site but also a forum. If you just want to
produce pictures and no comments, why did you bother a.) reading this thread and b.) commenting.

Here is one definition of a forum:

A safety-valve for letting out superfluous air. _E. g._, "Let the Forum always be open to the people, and let the treasury always be open to us."--From Titus Livy's _Psychology of the First Contractor_.

Regards, Horst

Blythman

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 01:50
Really disappointed the way things are going on here.

You have stand up guys like Dr O and Aliengrove who have openly said they are taking a back seat because they don't like the way things have been managed.

And rightly so.

They have been sharing shots on another forum. Excellent work too. Its a shame they aren't posting their work on here

But then we have the spineless guy(s) who make up a new identity to post on here with the sole aim of being disruptive. Man-up, why don't you. Look to Dr. O and Aliengrove and see how proper people behave. Rather than behaving like little kids.

The mods need to man-up too. its ok to admit you're wrong. The thread that kicked all this off was deleted, and maybe rightly so. But be man enough to give an explanation instead of either hiding from it, or thinking its beneath you. Tell those who were offering advice that some of that advice was potentially a load of bollocks and could cause more harm than good (if anyone who offered advise was qualified to do so, and had first hand information on the OP's issues, and knew that what she was saying was factually correct as opposed to the truth as she saw it, then I apologise to that individual for lumping you in with the amateur counsellors and psycho-analysts)

I can see me losing a valuable Pentax resource if change isn't implemented soon. There are very few of us posting photographs on here and no-one currently gives a toss anyway.

At the moment I don't see me using the "rival" forum. I joined it shortly after the last big bust up. Mainly because I appreciated Tims feedback and advice (think he's parted ways with that forum too). The only previous busy periods have been when there has been disruption on here. That's fine except so many just want to slag off this forum. Then the PM's start, saying come over to our "pub". Thankfully these aren't coming from Dr. O and Aliengrove, not to me anyway. As I say stand up guys.

I may at some time use the "rival" forum, but the people with multi faceted faces put me off and have since I joined. The mix of members has changed though, and although I've picked out two, there are other guys who I respect on there too (mightn't be welcome after this).

I have been a member of the US forum for sometime. However, its too fragmented. There's stuff all over the place. If I'm not on here I guess I'll be on Talkphotography.

So .........
Just wanted to sound off. Everyone else has. Those who need to grow up. You know who you are. Get on with it. Look to the guys who lead by example.
Alan

PPG
Flickr

dpm

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 07:20
Blythman wrote:

But then we have the spineless guy(s) who make up a new identity to post on here with the sole aim of being disruptive. Man-up, why don't you.

Is there any truth to this?

If so, the Mods and Admins are NO LESS SPINELESS by failing to do anything about it. T&C point 11:

11. The creation of multiple identities, unless expressly authorised by Pentax User staff is not permitted. Pentax User reserves the right to disable any members accounts who they suspect of such activity.

Or are these new users somehow condoned by the management?

mrfrosty

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 07:53
I am not a great user of this or any other website as I do not have the time. I joined over a year ago and have posted a few pictures and thanks for any comments from everyone . This site was a great help for me getting to know my Pentax gear but some comments and attitude from both members/ ex members and admin of this site have not been very nice. It would be nice if this site was a little bit more relaxed with a broader option for comments on a wider range of subjects ( use of other cameras etc } No need for me to expand this post as I am selling all my Pentax gear today to move to mirrorless ........{ wont mention the brand in case this post is deleted } just a joke! ok/
Anyway hope this site gets sorted and again thanks for the help .
Dave.

johnriley

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 08:30
I understand the frustration that some of you feel and I would tell you that we too feel frustration that confidentiality often makes it impossible to share some things. We can't openly discuss the behaviour of individuals in the forum. Likewise, the judgement as to who gets acted upon and who not is for the Mod Team, who look at situation impartially.

Banning is a blunt tool and is only used in extreme circumstances as a last resort, and prior to that a lot of effort goes into trying to avoid it.

Quote:
The mods need to man-up too. its ok to admit you're wrong. The thread that kicked all this off was deleted, and maybe rightly so. But be man enough to give an explanation instead of either hiding from it, or thinking its beneath you.

It's not beneath us. The matter was discussed with the OP and a conclusion reached. The detail of it is confidential to the OP and the team, so please respect that.

As for the rest, no we don't condone multiple identities and they might seem obvious, but we have to be sure before acting.

As for competitors, as long as they are not disrupting here then I don't see why they can't just be left to get on with doing whatever they want to do. I personally would wish them well, I'm sure there's enough room in the world. If they come here with the intent to disrupt, then that's something else.
Best regards, John

screwdriver222

Link Posted 05/07/2014 - 09:25
I think we should all support the moderators, they have a difficult job at the best of times, They have to make decisions which can at times be unpopular. We have to accept the decisions they make.

Lets move on and concentrate our energy on photography.

Jeff
Flickr link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.