Pentax K-5 Autofocus System


kff

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 13:10
What does Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C mean?
Is there possible to use a continual AF during taking video?

Oficial sites K-5:
Type: TTL phase-matching autofocus

Focus Sensor:
- SAFOX IX+, 11 point (9 cross type focus points in the center)

Brightness Range: EV-1 to 18 (ISO 100)

AF mode:
- Single AF (AF.S)
- Continuous AF (AF.C)
- Focus priority or shutter priority mode for AF.S
- Focus priority or FPS priority mode for AF.C

AF Point Selection:
- Auto 5 points
- Auto 11 points
- Select
- Center

AF Assist Light:
- Dedicated LED AF assist light
Last Edited by kff on 22/09/2010 - 13:12

edumad

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 13:19
Focus priority means it will focus before each shot while you hold the shutter button.
FPS priority means it'll keep fps rate sacrificing focusing to do it. Not sure it focus only once and then fire or if it tries to focus after the first frame.
TWAPSI Blog

beginner

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 17:02
It's getting more like Nikon every day!.....why do we need all these choices?.......
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!

johnwhit

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 17:58
beginner wrote:
It's getting more like Nikon every day!.....why do we need all these choices?.......

Nothing wrong with that, bring it on

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

Shaky

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 18:02
kff wrote:
Is there possible to use a continual AF during taking video?

Probably not.

However, without wanting to speculate as to the reasons, there seems to be a great deal of confusion about this even at Pentax, and I hold out some hope that it may indeed be a feature in the final product.

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 18:09
beginner wrote:
It's getting more like Nikon every day!.....why do we need all these choices?.......

Why is that a bad thing?

More choice is always better but I honestly don't think the AF system on the K-5 is going to be a patch on Nikons offering.

I would love to be proved wrong though.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 22/09/2010 - 18:10

johnwhit

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 18:28
Mike-P wrote:
beginner wrote:
It's getting more like Nikon every day!.....why do we need all these choices?.......

Why is that a bad thing?

More choice is always better but I honestly don't think the AF system on the K-5 is going to be a patch on Nikons offering.

I would love to be proved wrong though.

Me too.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

beginner

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 19:39
Suppose they have to fill the menu up with something!...I'm afraid I live in the past and treat my camera like my old slr!.....not being very good on the technical side ,I have great difficulty working all the available settings! ,I just want a camera that will produce good quality images.I'll stick with my K20 until I can do it justice!
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!

prsjnb

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 20:59
Beginner wrote:

Quote:
I just want a camera that will produce good quality images.I'll stick with my K20 until I can do it justice!

Despite the very real risk of incurring the wrath of 'New Forest' man, I'm going to show solidarity with 'Beginner' on this one. Whilst there is considerable satisfaction to be obtained from owning the latest model, the rational side of what's left of my brain insists that the only defensible argument for buying, in this case the K5, other than one's existing camera being damaged beyond the economic cost of repair, is that it would allow one to explore a more specialised photographic genre or, by virtue of improvements in technology and/or functionality, achieve a higher success rate in an area of photography that has been of long-standing interest.

That concludes the case for the defence, M'lud

P.S. (For beginner's eyes only) always happy to oblige with my support when the request is prefaced by the offer of cash and/or quality photographic accessories in return. Please forward the sum agreed to my PayPal account using obsequious_oldgit@photocorruptible.com

Gwyn

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 21:19
If I had got on better with the K20D I wouldn't be changing. Wouldn't even consider it. But I didn't like it, and I do feel comfortable with the K-5 so I am changing. Even though I'll pay full whack for it because I need a camera.

I probably won't use half of what is on offer with the K-5 but it has my name written all over it.

That should put you all off buying it

davex

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 21:42
Quote:
I probably won't use half of what is on offer with the K-5 but it has my name written all over it.

And just think of the happy times ahead learning about the bits you do`nt understand now.
Hope you enjoy it.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

womble

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 21:46
I think Gwyn has hit the nail on the head. If it feels right then it is the camera for you. Picking up my old ME Supers today reminded me how much I like them, and the fact that I used nothing but an ME Super for about ten years means that I can use them without thinking. I don't even chimp at the back of them when I take a photograph!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 22:15
prsjnb wrote:


Despite the very real risk of incurring the wrath of 'New Forest' man, I'm going to show solidarity with 'Beginner' on this one.

Why should that happen?

I have no problem if people don't want/need to upgrade, I am spending my money .. not theirs.

I was just wondering why more choice is a bad thing.

I doubt very much I will buy a K-5 myself, as you say the main reason to do so would be if it would allow me to get further than what the K-7 gives me in what I prefer to photograph and I don't think it does.

However, another brand does .. thinks MP-E65

Personally I don't think the world will end because of that.
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 22/09/2010 - 22:16

ChrisA

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 22:37
Mike-P wrote:
I doubt very much I will buy a K-5 myself

Yeah yeah, just 'cos the airshow season is more or less over...
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/09/2010 - 22:38
ChrisA wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
I doubt very much I will buy a K-5 myself

Yeah yeah, just 'cos the airshow season is more or less over...

LOL

Now if only I could get one for what I paid for the K-7
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 22/09/2010 - 22:38
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.