One picture at a time, please

johnriley

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 18:32
For the gallery there's something on the "wish list" already, for the forum I've had an idea (dangerous I know) so I'll get back to you.
Best regards, John

Thordell

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 18:56
Although it is a good feeling if people like or enjoy looking at your work a score sort of system does nothing to help us improve. I prefer comments that give helpful advice as well as hearing from those who have enjoyed looking at what you have achieved.

Do realise this puts the pressure on those who are able to give advice and I guess there are far more of us who feel unable to comment except to say if we like it or not.

It is a difficult situation to solve satisfactorily as the comment "nice one" is of no more use than "out of focus" we need to know how to improve or why it is considered good. Trouble is the art of giving a helpful critique is only given to a few and I am not at all sure that we know if we can or we can't be of help.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 19:43
Thordell wrote:
... and I guess there are far more of us who feel unable to comment except to say if we like it or not...

... Trouble is the art of giving a helpful critique is only given to a few and I am not at all sure that we know if we can or we can't be of help.

I don't agree with that, Jackie.

Offering criticism is itself a creative act, and one that helps the critic to improve. It does this by obliging him or her to analyse why he likes or dislikes the picture, and it follows that once one acquires the habit and art of analysis, one can apply it to one's own pictures.

So just as beginners are encouraged to post their pictures, so beginnners should be encouraged to try their hand at criticism.

And, as we all know, you don't have to be an artist to be a critic!

G
No artist, but always criticising.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 19:51
I wonder when one ceases to be a beginner ?

At times I often get the impression that some of our posters think that their particular style is the only permissable one.

Given time and encouragement we all develop our own particular style and realise that at times our style has to change for a particular series of shots.
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Thordell

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:06
George Lazarette wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="Thordell"]...

Offering criticism is itself a creative act,

That is what I was trying to express George which rather proves the point, some can express themselves in a clear concise manner and some can not, I am, I think, a can not.

As an example I can tell if an image is soft but just saying the image is soft is of no help and I am not at all sure I could offer the reason why it is not sharp, is it focus, camera shake or may be the use of unsuitable settings, I just do not in most cases know.
Jackie H
Most used glass
Last Edited by Thordell on 27/06/2010 - 20:10

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:10
Ah, but as intelligent, sentient, beings, we can learn. And practice makes perfect. Well, to be honest, practice makes better.

G

techno-terminator

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:13
correct - and we need to get other people's views as to our own progress .

None of us can afford to rest on our laurels

Thordell

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:14
But would not my learning be at someone else's expense, would it be fair for me to take a stab at giving a reason for what I perceive as something that needs correction when what is needed is someone to tell it how it is and make a correct and sensible suggestion as to how it could be improved or avoided in future.
Jackie H
Most used glass

dougf8

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:17
techno-terminator wrote:
Given time and encouragement we all develop our own particular style and realise that at times our style has to change for a particular series of shots.

Absolutely. I'm sure if we had a competition about beaches, Bill Brandt would not even get a highly commended for his ear image (like the beach, loose the ear). Having a developed style is what defines you as an artist.

Knowing what criticism/advice to reject is as much a skill as making diplomatic appraisals/criticism in the first place.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 27/06/2010 - 20:19

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:03
techno-terminator wrote:
correct - and we need to get other people's views as to our own progress .

Correct - and we need views that are sincere. Not the sort of undiscerning, effusive, gush that has become prevalent around here.

G

techno-terminator

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:15
George Lazarette wrote:

Correct - and we need views that are sincere. Not the sort of undiscerning, effusive, gush that has become prevalent around here.

G

George

That is far too harsh a comment - the sort of thing that drives folk away - or perhaps that's your desire ?

Now can we get back to a reasonable thoughtful posting style ?

ems82

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:34
I was just pondering!!!! This bitch fest forum does not encourage any new people to continue so where are the future pentaxians and the future of this site? I have always held this site in high regard and have found it to be very valuble in the learning process and i have made some good friends along the way. But this is stupid,people should be able to say what they want and not to be bullied or penalised for not giving a full critique on any shot I am not saying this is good/bad thing as I highly value the critique, I have received CC on certain shots it does help one progress. I feel very sorry for anyone who wishes to take up photography as a hobby and join this forum.
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro

Gwyn

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:45
You could always just ignore threads like this, like most of us do.
I only started reading it after noticing your comment Emma.

There are valid points made on all sides, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Snootchies

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:46
Huge appologies, as I really do not have the patience to read through 6 pages - but what is the problem of posting multiple images as long as they are kept reasonably small. I have always posted medium sized flickr images which hardly cause a concern in the bandwith stakes.

It's fairly obvious when a member has posted a series of shots; as the title usually gives this away.

I really do question the merit of this post. It's grumbling for grumblings sake.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 21:55
Snootchies wrote:
but what is the problem of posting multiple images as long as they are kept reasonably small.

No need to read 6 pages. Just the first post.

G
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.