Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

One picture at a time, please

Snootchies
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:09 Link
George, your first post makes no reference to sensible image sizes.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
George Lazarette
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:12 Link
Snootchies wrote:
George, your first post makes no reference to sensible image sizes.

No, indeed it doesn't. I mentioned the problem, you have suggested a partial solution to one part of it - the problem of excessive data usage.

Thank you.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
terje-l
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:12 Link
Normal image size in this section is 800 pixels max, and that makes a sensible image size.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Snootchies
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:35 Link
I firmly believe that as members we should post what we like (obvious exceptions notwithstanding) and in numbers which we care to as long as we are considerate to bandwith implications.

Asking members to post one image at a time is just plain rediculous.

And with that, I'm stepping out of this conversation. I just think certain members have gone to far now and are sapping people's enjoyment of this Forum by trying to apply needless restrictions.

Far too many 'rules' seem to be spewing out at the moment for things such as unjustified feedback. We perceive things in different ways and have our own tastes. WE MUST BE INCLUSIVE TO OTHERS - if we want a comfortable atmosphere. People know what they like, and yet they are being criticised for that. It's not good at all.
Bob

Edited by Snootchies: 27/06/2010 - 22:35
George Lazarette
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:41 Link
Perhaps you should read the whole thread.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
matthew
Posted 28/06/2010 - 10:17 Link
Can I ask some question only because I'm a bit confused?

We are not allowed to post more than 2 images to a single thread even if the images fall within the allowed 800X800 pix
We are not allowed to degrade an image with a single comment most people find this disrespectful and impertinent
We now have to give an in depth dissertation on why we like/hate a image regardless of experience.
We are not allowed to post uninteresting images of a swan in a sunset.

Matt:::
robbie_d
Posted 28/06/2010 - 10:26 Link
matthew wrote:
Can I ask some question only because I'm a bit confused?

We are not allowed to post more than 2 images to a single thread even if the images fall within the allowed 800X800 pix
We are not allowed to degrade an image with a single comment most people find this disrespectful and impertinent
We now have to give an in depth dissertation on why we like/hate a image regardless of experience.
We are not allowed to post uninteresting images of a swan in a sunset.

Matt:::

I think you've taken to a ludicrous extreme what has been said on a few threads recently. Taking the points in turn:

1). What has been suggested is consideration of how many pictures are posted in a thread as there are users with painfully slow broadband. Fair enough if the pictures are intended as a series (no-one would suggest that pictures intended as a series shouldn't be displayed as such), but when it's a jumble of unrelated pictures then just try and be thoughtful. Even just stating on the thread title how many shots there are would be a help.

2). What has been suggested is that saying "Fantastic shot" or "Ansel Adams couldn't do better" is not particularly helpful or enlightening, particularly when the shot is less than stellar. It doesn't take long to say why you like something (i.e. to comment on sharpness, composition, use of colour, etc.) and what can be done better, and generally this is going to help everyone grow as photographers (even the people giving the criticism as it makes you think about what works and what doesn't)

3). See 2). above. It only takes a sentence or two. No-one has asked for a dissertation.

4). I think the swan/sunset comment was made half in jest, and I don;t think anyone is seriously campaigning for blocks on what subject matter can/can't be posted.

Hope this helps.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Edited by robbie_d: 28/06/2010 - 10:27
johnriley
Posted 28/06/2010 - 10:57 Link
I've moved this to the General Chat forum, lest it puts off anyone, especially anyone new, posting in the Your Photos section.

We want to encourage people to post, not discourage them, especially not by shooting them down in flames should they care to make a comment.
Thordell
Posted 28/06/2010 - 11:58 Link
Think you are right John, mind you having ones images criticised harshly is to be expected but ones English or writing skill is a lot more of a worry.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
thoughton
Posted 28/06/2010 - 12:47 Link
But that's the point Jackie, it doesn't have to be an critique straight out of an art gallery, all most people want is truthful considered opinions. Say what you like, and what you don't like - that's all!

The point is that comments along the lines of "that's the greatest photo ever taken" are a waste of everyone's time. (Fictional comment slightly exaggerated to make a point )
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
robbie_d
Posted 28/06/2010 - 12:48 Link
thoughton wrote:
But that's the point Jackie, it doesn't have to be an critique straight out of an art gallery, all most people want is truthful considered opinions. Say what you like, and what you don't like - that's all!

The point is that comments along the lines of "that's the greatest photo ever taken" are a waste of everyone's time. (Fictional comment slightly exaggerated to make a point )

Only very slightly though...

Apparently.
robbie_d
Posted 28/06/2010 - 12:49 Link
Thordell wrote:
Think you are right John, mind you having ones images criticised harshly is to be expected but ones English or writing skill is a lot more of a worry.

It's nothing to do with writing skill at all.

It's just a case of explaining why a photo works for you or doesn't. The forum needs to move away from the Flickr-esque culture of saying "Fantastic shot" about every picture even when it is out of focus, not level, under/over exposed, etc.

Apparently.
Snootchies
Posted 28/06/2010 - 13:25 Link
Even if it's out of focus, not level, incorrectly exposed etc - they are giving their genuine opinion, which they have every right to do, and we have every right to ignore.

Really think we are treading down an unwelcome path here.

We all have different perspectives. No matter how much someone thinks without a doubt that a shot in question is just "OK" you'll always get someone else (maybe based on a limited experience of what they have seen in the past - their own mental library of shots) saying it's amazing.

Let's just get over ourselves and drop this 'holier than thou' attitude.
It smacks to me that there is a self righteous group of members which are stating how feedback must be given.

Of course some feedback will be more constructive and better served than others, but hey, that's what you get with a Forum, live with it.
Bob

thoughton
Posted 28/06/2010 - 13:45 Link
Snootchies wrote:
Even if it's out of focus, not level, incorrectly exposed etc - they are giving their genuine opinion, which they have every right to do, and we have every right to ignore.

I don't think anyone is arguing with that Bob, it's just that in some cases it seems debatable whether a very positive comment is a genuine opinion, or if it just a platitude born of a desire to be friendly and not offend the photographer. Nothing wrong with being friendly, mind you, it just that we can hopefully be friendly AND encourage each other to take better photos.

I know that my own photography has improved a great deal since joining this forum, and that's because of useful critiques I received from some of the veterans here (including some very useful advice from George in relation to some Human League concert shots). I posted the same concert shots at the other Pentax forum, and got a some 'nice shot' comments and nothing else. Looking back at it those original unedited shots had a bucket load of problems, but I needed someone to point that out to me. The post-George results are not too bad at all if I do say so myself
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
FlickrFluidrPPGStreetPortfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Snootchies
Posted 28/06/2010 - 14:14 Link
I certainly do not wish to downplay essential constructive feedback. Some posters need a reality check to avoid delusions of grandeur. So so often I've posted what I thought to be a great set of pics...and then realise (justifiably) that I still have plenty to learn.

Nothing has ever prevented members from providing this type of essential feedback.

Storm in a teacup chaps...
Bob

Edited by Snootchies: 28/06/2010 - 14:15

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.