website

thoramay

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 10:18
Some will remember my attempts to get our photo club onto a web site. This has finally happened. Is there a proceedure for getting Google to recognise this site?

HTTP://iowphotographicsociety.lifeyo.com/home

regards thoramay.

flossie

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 10:25
not really, just make sure you have lots of text it can latch on to, and is linked from as many other sites as possible - ideally other photography or isle of wight sites... will take a while...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

terje-l

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 10:27
I had a look at your web site. Why does the home page try to install a Microsoft Office XP application?

Also, nice pictures in the Gallery. But they should have been clickable for larger size. Now they are too small to be really appreciated.

But the site layout and design looks good.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 11:12
A thought: your programme is an important indicator of what you have on offer and new prospective members will want to see that. Existing members will download a PDF but I doubt that casual viewers will.

Why not have a Programme tab that just lists your schedule on the page?

Also, a casual glance like I've just made gave me no idea what day and time you regularly meet.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

thoramay

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 19:05
Thanks for your comments and encouragement. It's trial and error for us.
No one in the club would claim to be computer literate.

Gareth, a little comment of humour. How many visually impared photographers do you know? but I take your point. Experience is everything and we need to take every comment on board.

regards thoramay.

greynolds999

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 19:37
I've realised your images are actually full size and being sized by your HTML. Unfortunately browsers are not very sophisticated so the image quality is being severely degraded and gives the impression of heavy sharpening.

I would suggest that you try sizing the pictures in Photoshop (to the size you want them to appear) and then re-uploading them. It should look a lot better.

Otherwise, good work.
My Photobucket

Dangermouse

Link Posted 29/06/2010 - 20:48
Google are likely to notice the site on their own IIRC - I know I wrote one for a volunteer group which was rapidly picked up and indexed without any effort on my part.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 00:04
Do a search on Search Engine Optimisation, and follow the advice given.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 11:38
Thoramay, are you aware the site doesn't work properly in Internet Explorer? In Lifeyo's FAQs is states "Lifeyo works best with Firefox, Safari or Chrome. We're working hard to get Internet Explorer supported in the next few weeks."

Seeing as a large proportion of web users use IE, this isn't ideal. Maybe it will change in the next few weeks, maybe that message has been there for 4 months already...

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

thoughton

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 12:50
I would question the competence of any web site company whose sites didn't work in IE.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 13:33
cardiff_gareth wrote:
George Lazarette wrote:
Do a search on Search Engine Optimisation, and follow the advice given.

G

THB, not wanting to dismiss your suggestion but there are companies out there making 's from search engine optimisation (SEO) so your not really gonna find that sort of help on the net.
There's a lot more, too much really to put in a thread !

There are lots of companies doing all sorts of things, but there is loads of information on SEO on the net.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

ripstar74

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 14:29
[/quote]

Have you added any meta and data tags within your HTML coding with keywords to help bump you up the rankings and to aid your website relavence [/quote]

Google doesnt really use meta tags any more.
K7,K10d,16-50 Da*,50-135 Da*. Looking for a good macro.

My Website

robbie_d

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 16:52
thoramay wrote:
Thanks for your comments and encouragement. It's trial and error for us.
No one in the club would claim to be computer literate.

Gareth, a little comment of humour. How many visually impared photographers do you know? but I take your point. Experience is everything and we need to take every comment on board.

regards thoramay.

link
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

thoramay

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 20:48
robbie.

You are confusing physical sight with visual impairment in that you cannot 'see' a joke or 'see' the point of a story or a 'see' great photo shot.

'Seeing is visual.. not 'seeing' is impairment.. Get it!!

You must nit pic on my threads.

Give it a rest.

Thoramay.

robbie_d

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 23:35
Thoramay,

You are confusing the intentions of Gareth's post. He was talking about people with visual impairment. I assumed you realised that when you made your response with no smiley (the generally accepted indicator of a joke).

I was merely pointing out that photographers with visual impairment do exist.

No need to get so uptight about it, relax, it will prolong your life.

P.S. Many thanks for the lovely PM, I will ensure it gets dealt with appropriately.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 30/06/2010 - 23:36
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.