One picture at a time, please


ChrisA

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 17:30
ems82 wrote:
... I do not feel qualified enough to give a full critique I am only a beginner and do not understand some of the technical side of things

Leaving aside the fact (evident from your gallery) that you aren't at all a beginner, I think this point warrants comment.

You're not the first to cite lack of experience as a reason for not offering a reason for liking or disliking a picture, and there's just no need to feel that way.

I'm quite sure that if you were to ask any of the most experienced photographers that contribute here, lack of experience would never be a reason they would give for not wanting to hear someone's opinion of a photograph.

A fresh pair of eyes, not yet jaundiced or overloaded with technical stuff, can still see, and still have a completely valid opinion of the picture.

Do you have to be an artist to appreciate art? Or a photographer to have a picture trigger an emotion in you?

Of course not.

Critique does not require lots of long photographic buzzwords to be valid.

All it needs is for you to say why it strikes you as it does. Sometimes that takes a little thought, since we often don't think much about why something evokes a particular feeling.

But it's valuable thought, since understanding why you like (or dislike) a picture makes it easier to take pictures you like in future.

A general guideline would be, don't say "I like it". Say "I like it because...".

Or of course, "I don't like it because...".

Some of the best photos I've seen I've really hated.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Last Edited by ChrisA on 28/06/2010 - 17:32

robbie_d

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 17:35
ChrisA wrote:
ems82 wrote:
... I do not feel qualified enough to give a full critique I am only a beginner and do not understand some of the technical side of things

Leaving aside the fact (evident from your gallery) that you aren't at all a beginner, I think this point warrants comment.

You're not the first to cite lack of experience as a reason for not offering a reason for liking or disliking a picture, and there's just no need to feel that way.

I'm quite sure that if you were to ask any of the most experienced photographers that contribute here, lack of experience would be the very last reason they would give for not wanting to hear someone's opinion of a photograph.

A fresh pair of eyes, not yet jaundiced or overloaded with technical stuff, can still see, and still have a completely valid opinion of the picture.

Do you have to be an artist to appreciate art? Or a photographer to have a picture trigger an emotion in you?

Of course not.

Critique does not require lots of long photographic buzzwords to be valid.

All it needs is for you to say why it strikes you as it does. Sometimes that takes a little thought, since we often don't think much about why something evokes a particular feeling.

But it's valuable thought, since understanding why you like (or dislike) a picture makes it easier to take pictures you like in future.

A general guideline would be, don't say "I like it". Say "I like it because...".

Or of course, "I don't like it because...".

Some of the best photos I've seen I've really hated.

What he said...

Seriously though, I too do not understand the "not technically qualified" argument.

I'm not suggesting that people go massively in-depth into the technical side of things (although as SLR users we presumably should all have some degree of a grasp of these), but say WHY you do or do not like something.

If you don't immediately know, think about it!

Many people here have no "qualifications" for commenting on pictures (me included), but I like to think that if I do give some criticism it is of some use as I've explained it.

"Fantastic shot" may make the photographer feel great for a few seconds, but it doesn;t really tell them much.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

pink

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:03
I wish the mod's would close this thread and even delete it.

we have all had our say and it's just going no where.

what this thread is doing is putting people off enjoying photography for one reason or another. What would the new members think (the ones that are just about to join)
the members that are apprehensive/timid about joining and that have been sitting on the sidelines reading postís we are damaging the future of pentax user.

I do agree the saying I like it, great, ditto all the above, suggests youíve not really looked at the image and just agreeing just to look good and be part of the crowd.

Take time to look at a image and you will learn more about photography all images speak volume and will help you evolve your own technical boundaryís

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

dougf8

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:07
the Roff, Adult Ed, first year, easy guide to photo crit.

a: What is attractive about this photograph? (shapes, colour, detail, space, atmosphere, etc)

b: Can you say what is the main subject of photograph, the point they focused on?

c: How does the background of the picture compliment/contrast with the subject? (Light/dark, complimentary colour, sharp and soft focus, simple/complex etc)

d: If they were asked why they took this photograph, what might they say?

You asks yourself the questions, and ponder, and come up with a few sentences. Some of the things may not apply, when there is no background etc.
Lurking is shirking.!

fatspider

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:12
The thread will die away eventually James, but people keep adding to it and keeping it alive.

Ooop, I've just done it myself
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

ems82

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:12
Fair point chris its just rather daunting for me someone who hates analysis (flunked my art humanties at school for it) but I shall try to take as much time as I can to look more and comment to the best of my ability in future.
Emma
"Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." Aaron Siskind
Bodies K20D, LTL 3, K1000d
Lenses Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, Tamron 70-300 macro

johnriley

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:32
The problem is, reposting the same argument over and over again. I know it's tempting to want the last word, but if all the points in this thread had been made just one it would have been quite short.

People are entitled to disagree, so no need for closing threads, but if it just descends into abuse then it would be closed.

Just respect other points of view, even if you disagree.
Best regards, John

Snootchies

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:47
robbie_d wrote:
Bob, I don't know how you've managed to turn this into some big "worthiness" issue, even suggesting I have "delusions of grandeur".

Reading back through my comments I don't see anything I've said which would even suggest this, and I'm more than a little disappointed that you've chosen to approach the subject in such a manner.

Unfortunately, you've taken what I said out of context. I meant delusions of grandeur which can arguably take place when someone gives unjustified praise to a shot - giving the photographer, 'a delusion of grandeur'. I was trying to show that I do indeed appreciate the sentiments at large here, even if I disagree with the way this is being handled.

I also made no direct reference to you anyway.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Last Edited by Snootchies on 28/06/2010 - 18:50

robbie_d

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:50
Snootchies wrote:
robbie_d wrote:
Bob, I don't know how you've managed to turn this into some big "worthiness" issue, even suggesting I have "delusions of grandeur".

Reading back through my comments I don't see anything I've said which would even suggest this, and I'm more than a little disappointed that you've chosen to approach the subject in such a manner.

Unfortunately, you've taken what I said out of context. I meant delusions of grandeur which can arguably take place when someone gives unjustified praise to a shot - giving the photographer, 'a delusion of grandeur'. I was trying to show that I do indeed appreciate the sentiments at large here. I also made no direct reference to you anyway.

Sorry, what you said was the people making this point (me included) had a "holier than thou" attitude, not "delusions of grandeur".

I apologise for misquoting you.

EDIT: I believe the term "self-righteous" was also used.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 28/06/2010 - 18:57

Snootchies

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 19:09
Ok...I may have vented a little...and I did apologise twice If I had misunderstood the situation.

I've made my feelings on the matter clear. I'll just carry on and pretend this thread never happened and I'll just leave it at this (is that a hooray I hear?)
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

George Lazarette

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 22:14
It is interesting how a thread which began with a polite request for people "not to post a load of disparate pictures in a single thread" has managed to get onto the subject of constructive criticism AGAIN.

It's obviously a subject that resonates with more than just one or two of us.

Some of you will be glad, no doubt, to hear that I plan to give this topic a rest for a while. The pros and cons have had a good airing.

Best wishes to all, and thank you for your contributions.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

TOZZA27

Link Posted 30/06/2010 - 23:16
See "homage to Bwlchmawr" - that`s what I think

T
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.