One picture at a time, please

Dr. Mhuni

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 08:34
I do have some sympathy with George, though when a set hangs together (and is of consistent quality) it's good to see a collection of images.

Most significantly, perhaps, the OP is more likely to get useful feedback on a single image. Though I do wonder sometimes if proper feedback is what people are really after in Your Photos posts.
Mhuni

500px

robbie_d

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 09:07
George Lazarette wrote:
robbie_d wrote:

Some pictures only really work when presented as part of a series, and as such it wouldn't be right....

I did write "disparate". By definition, disparate pictures can't be part of a series.

It's really the people who post a whole bunch of pictures that they happened to take one day that I am talking about. It would be nice if they would be selective about what they present.

G

Apologies George, I couldn't agree more.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 09:08
thoughton wrote:
On some forums they make you say how many photos in the thread title, e.g. "Half-naked minx, 4 images". Would that work? If all the regulars starting doing that it could catch on.

I for one, would look at that thread.

Apparently.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 18:08
Quote:
Half-naked minx, 4 images

Which forum?

WHICH FORUM???

Sorry, got carried away, there, I'm with you in one way George. It's no fun waiting for six, seven or more pictures to down load and find they're either of no interest to me or a completely disparate selection.

Two or three's fine.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

ChrisA

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 18:41
There are several issues currently, which discourage me from commenting on people's photos.

One is that there's so much "great, amazing, awesome, fab, fantastic, excellent" around these days, that there's very little I could say that wouldn't sound incredibly negative by comparison, even if I quite liked the shot - which I often do.

Another is the issue that George raises. I have quite a fast internet connection, so the loading speed isn't at all an issue for me. But I still find no inclination to comment on a post containing more than one or perhaps two pictures - where would I start? It's hard enough to provide a considered view of one picture, let alone the essay that would be needed for many.

Another situation where I would never, ever comment is where people say "I really like this photo, what do you think?". Especially if the picture is of some goofy child that is quite rightly the best looking kid in the universe to the proud parent, but of less interest to me. But apart from that, if someone declares that they like their picture, who am I to give them reasons for not liking it if I think it's lacking?

Finally, I feel more inclined to comment on people's pictures when there's evidence that they're actually asking for critique, rather than showcasing. Not that I'm against showcasing in itself - it's good to share something you're proud of - but sometimes I get the impression that images are put up for critique when the owner is really just looking for praise.

I'd be particularly likely to comment if someone posted a picture, with a critique of their own, perhaps along the lines of "I tried to achieve X, how could I have improved Y, what do people think about aspect Z of the composition/exposure/whatever". That would say to me that they were already thinking about what they'd done, and were genuinely interested in canvassing people's views.

Just a few thoughts that struck me as I read this thread. Consider or ignore according to taste.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

gartmore

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 19:00
My thoughts entirely.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

mikew

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 19:13
Well said Chris.
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

fatspider

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 19:41
mikew wrote:
Well said Chris.

Ditto

I think we need some strict guidelines in a sticky, make people fully aware that regardless of the reason for posting an image they should expect to take criticism and if they get the pet lip out then it will be THEY who are banned for not abiding by forum ruiles.

RULE 1. By posting an image in the Your Photos section you are agreeing to criticism good or bad, if you get the pet lip out as a result you will be banned from posting images for one month (got to keep the mods busy)

RULE 2. If you want to simply showcase your work images must be uploaded to your Portfolio and so the Gallery, if you do not want criticism on images posted here you must clearly state this.

How does that sound?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 25/06/2010 - 19:42

K10D

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 20:27
George Lazarette wrote:
robbie_d wrote:

Some pictures only really work when presented as part of a series, and as such it wouldn't be right....

I did write "disparate". By definition, disparate pictures can't be part of a series.

It's really the people who post a whole bunch of pictures that they happened to take one day that I am talking about. It would be nice if they would be selective about what they present.

G

Having just post processed images from Watford (SRS inc.), London (LCE inc.) and Wiltshire, I was thinking of putting some up. I covered so much area in one day. Saw this thread and decided that BBC3 and Glastonbury has the edge.

Best regards

mikew

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 21:02
K10D wrote:

Having just post processed images from Watford (SRS inc.), London (LCE inc.) and Wiltshire, I was thinking of putting some up. I covered so much area in one day. Saw this thread and decided that BBC3 and Glastonbury has the edge.

Best regards

I don't follow? Probably me being dim.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 21:32
I didn't realise that, on what I thought was a site dedicated to Pentax photography, people could be so resistant to photographs. Odd that.

I must have misunderstood the purpose of the Forum. Point taken, though. There's clearly sufficient support for this view for me to take heed and keep my images buried in the computer's hard drive lest they cause offence. Although the odd one may occasionally leak out into the Gallery!

Being something of an unreconstructed photo-addict, I can't promise to stop taking pictures, though. I'll upload them to Photobucket so that those who wish to can see them.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

mikew

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 21:41
You two need to wake up and read these posts the way they are written - to make it easier to view and appreciate the photographs.

The point that is being made is that the Your Photos is not a gallery for mutual back slapping and ego boosting - that would seem to be what the gallery is for.

What is being asserted is that when you post to Your Photos you are inviting constructive criticism and to make that easier it is being politely suggested that you don't post disparate images. Series OK but please warn about how many images will be downloaded.

If anyone is being cantacerous it's you two who are swimming against the tide and seemingly threatening to hide your images away because the majority prefer to have a place where you can get sensible and structured critiques.

Can you tell I'm pissed off?

Mike

SteveF

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 21:41
Don't be so sensitive chaps. A few people have expressed their personal preference, others have expressed different views. I like the freedom of speech on here. I don't expect to agree with all opinions expressed.

Nothing's changed. Post as many or as few images as you wish.

robbie_d

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 21:49
Gareth, I for one think the forum would be a worse place without you, so I hope your decision to stay away from the forum does not become a permanent one.

I'm not one to agree with George 100% of the time, but I understand where he's coming from on this point, namely that fewer images on a thread causes the person doing the posting to think about what they're posting and also will likely result in more feedback and hopefully more useful feedback. Not to mention the benefits for those of us with less than stellar broadband speeds.

Of course if pictures are intended as a series they should be posted as such, I don't think anyone is seriously saying that this shouldn't be the case.

Whilst I agree the forum has had a different feel to it in the last couple of weeks, I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as nasty or bitchy. There has been a definite reaction against the giving of overly positive feedback, and whilst this has upset some in the short term I believe it is a necessary move.

We are all here because we are enthusiastic photographers and it is natural we want to improve our technique. This will not happen if people post threads full of average photographs which receive the "Fantastic set", "Love them all", "Ansel Adams couldn't do better" treatment. Ultimately, feedback like this does nothing but hold people back.

What's worse, it has got to a stage where certain members receiving feedback not 100% positive have thrown the toys out of the pram, and in one case threatened to give up on photography. That reaction is not right, and gives the forum and its members little credibility.

I realise that this post will probably split opinions on here, but I've taken my time to consider it before writing, this isn't a heat of the moment post designed to flame, but my general feelings on the matter.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 25/06/2010 - 21:51

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 22:12
mikew wrote:

If anyone is being cantacerous it's you two who are swimming against the tide and seemingly threatening to hide your images away because the majority prefer to have a place where you can get sensible and structured critiques.

Can you tell I'm pissed off?

Mike

I'm sorry to have annoyed you, Mike. This was not my intention. I was simply acknowledging that I'd misunderstood the purpose of the Forum and accepting that I was "swimming against the tide" as you put it. Far from *hiding my images away", the more who see them the happier I'll be, believe me. It's just that this clearly isn't the right place any longer.

I have to say, I've really enjoyed being a small part of this site over the past six months and I've learnt so much about photography in general and Pentax equipment in particular.

I've also enjoyed being associated, albeit in a virtual sense, with some really nice people whose kindness and patience has been very much appreciated.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.