One picture at a time, please

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:03
Gareth, Andrew, please don't be rash, and give this thread more consideration than it deserves. The Your Photos section of the site is described as 'for posting images to show off the capabilities of Pentax equipment.' so nobody is doing anything wrong.

None of the commentators in this thread are moderators.

And forum members vote with their feet - multiple image threads are very popular with uploaders and commenters.

Someone once mentioned having a separate section for photos that wanted serious in depth criticism, but the idea wasn't really picked up.

Personally, I would have thought that would have solved the issue being discussed here, but it seems a minority just seem determined to make the whole site a 'serious criticism only' site, at the detriment of the enjoyment of a lot of users within the guidelines of the forum.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 25/06/2010 - 23:06

K10D

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:12
fatspider wrote:
Quote:
I was thanking John and Mike for answering my query about RPS

Quote:
Any sense of direction here

I dont know why we have a topic called "Another Pointless Thread", they all seem to become pointless eventually

K10D

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:12
New Topic about to appear.......

fatspider

Link Posted 25/06/2010 - 23:22
Quote:
The Your Photos section of the site is described as 'for posting images to show off the capabilities of Pentax equipment

Well pointed out Will but.....

By definition of that no one with any sense should really post any "dodgy" images because we dont want to show to the world that Pentax has the capability not only to produce superb images but also out of focus, burned out, or under exposed ones?

Could I therfore make a serious suggestion to the mods that the wording of this section is changed to "For posting your Pentax images for critique"

As for Georges original post I fear the forum seems to be divided in its opinion over posting of multiple images, and as some have rightly pointed out this is the perogative of the member, so lets not fall out over it.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

thoughton

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 00:11
I see this thread grew 3 extra pages in a very short time - I've read them all and am still not sure what's got people so fired up! From what I can see K10D said something ambiguous, and Andrew and Gareth were both mysteriously offended by the 'fewer images' plea from George.

The slow broadband folks want fewer images per thread. That's fine, I for one will start adding [n images] to my thread titles, to give those people a chance to opt out. The other people who (like me) often post multiple images per thread could do the same (Andrew, Gareth, that's you guys ), that way you will avoid the Wrath of George™

So George is happy he doesn't have to download a big thread. Myself, Andrew, Gareth and others will be happy we can continue posting multiple images if we so desire, and the members who don't enjoy critiquing a photo will be happy they can just continue saying 'nice shot', and the members who like critiques can continue to critique whatever they want.

There. Problem solved, everybody happy. *brushes dust off hands*
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

K10D

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 00:19
thoughton wrote:
I see this thread grew 3 extra pages in a very short time - I've read them all and am still not sure what's got people so fired up! From what I can see K10D said something ambiguous, and Andrew and Gareth were both mysteriously offended by the 'fewer images' plea from George.

The slow broadband folks want fewer images per thread. That's fine, I for one will start adding [n images] to my thread titles, to give those people a chance to opt out. The other people who (like me) often post multiple images per thread could do the same (Andrew, Gareth, that's you guys ), that way you will avoid the Wrath of George™

So George is happy he doesn't have to download a big thread. Myself, Andrew, Gareth and others will be happy we can continue posting multiple images if we so desire, and the members who don't enjoy critiquing a photo will be happy they can just continue saying 'nice shot', and the members who like critiques can continue to critique whatever they want.

There. Problem solved, everybody happy. *brushes dust off hands*

Does this qualify as common sense?

Meanwhile back at the iPod and Russian Standard, it's the weekend.

(not demeaning your post)

the clock ticks between pleasure and collapse........

I got to admit it's gettin better

thoughton

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 00:21
I hope so!

(PS I'm only replying to your first sentence because that's the only one I understood )
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

K10D

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 00:33
thoughton wrote:
I hope so!

(PS I'm only replying to your first sentence because that's the only one I understood )

So we digress from the OP.

A one litre bottle of Russian Standard takes a wee effort to empty.

The time taken qualifies as stand or fall.

Typing this I am listening to Giu' La Testa by Ennio Morricone. From the movie "A Fist Full Of Dynamite".

I love weekends.
Hello? Next track is Go Wild in The Country by Bow Wow Wow....

Lost the plot or what???????????????

thoughton

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 00:36
I'm feeling the vibe now! Za Vas, or something!
Tim

aliengrove

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 07:52
Wow! I have been busy the last few days so not had time to catch up on things here. Its certainly been busy on this thread! While I can understand both sides of the arguments on here I think there is a bit of over-reaction going on. A few of you seem to be throwing your toys out of the pram.

The purppose of this secction of the forum does not seem to be understood the same way by everyone. I am a bit confused myself. However it does seem to suggest it is more for showing off pictures rather than for critique iin the introduction to the topic. The fact that this thread has arisen indicates that this issue needs resolving.

The suggestion has been made before that another section should be added for critique only and then those that want to post sets can carry on doing so while those looking for advice and critique can post in a seperate section. This topic has arisen twice recently and there must be a better way way of resolving it than this thread. The critique thread running on here never got past number 3 and I wonder if it would be more successful as a seperate topic within the forum? Also in light of a few bad responses to criticism of their pictures by a few members recently if you dont want criticism then dont post your pictures! Likewise, think about how helpful it is to the photgrapher when the only comments they get on a picture with obvious faults is "Nice shot!"

I hope that those talking of leaving reconsider and that we can all get back to the real reason we are here, a passion for photography. At least I hope that is why we are all here.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

johnriley

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 08:43
One of the problems is that whatever a section is labelled as and whatever it is designed to do there will be lots of posters that do something else and others that will get cross about it.

This section is for everyone to show images. If you want critique, just say so, if not then make that clear also. If we had two sections I suspect there would be even more confusion and the two would get mixed up constantly.

The intention was that the gallery was provided and it would be easier to post images there, and some people do. The same applies - ask for critique there if you want it, say so if you don't.

The only drawback to the Gallery is that it's a different place on the website, so isn't automatically browsed when looking at the forum. And vice-versa of course.

Personally i think this forum has plenty of sections. I've seen plenty of forums with more and it just gets over-facing and laborious to trawl through everything.

I'm a big fan of Keeping Things Simple.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 26/06/2010 - 08:44

pink

Link Posted 26/06/2010 - 08:56
well said John

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 17:33
So, to sum up:

1 If posting multiple images, please state the number in the title.
2 If you don't want criticism, say so.
3 Remember, that if you do want people to provide considered criticism of your pictures, they are much more likely to do so if you just post one.
4 It's much too hot to get angry.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 18:11
It occurs to me that what we really need is the ability to post a group of thumbnails.

That way, people with slow connections/download limits won't waste time/data on what might be a so-so collection, and the ability to skim images quickly would help such people to see more pictures, and to home in on the ones worth looking at.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

flossie

Link Posted 27/06/2010 - 18:25
Coming to this thread after the heat has blown-over a bit... I think a lot of what has been said makes sense, but the feature I think many people would like would be the ability to "Rate" a picture (if the poster so chooses).

Maybe, to keep it friendly, only allow people to award "Thumbs up"...? Think of it like, well, Like'ing pictures on Facebook! But would be nice if could be a bit more complex, e.g. 0-3 thumbs or 0-5 stars... then the OP would see a summary of people's views (especially useful if posting a set, would show which is the best...)

There's a lot of shots I like, some I feel neutral about, a few do nothing for me - but I'm not going to post "I like this shot" because its just spam, really...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.