TonyM

Joined: 6th September 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

TonyM
Like John I got the 40mm when Amazon offered it at a very reasonable £216 (maybe still do?), without being too sure it was right. Since then I have grown to love it for several reasons. First, the fov is very close to what you see, so you can frame shots in your mind very easily before bringing up the camera. Second, the quality even at 2.8 is superb and a lot of my pictures can cope with a 2x "zoom" in pp no problem. Lastly, the size means that I can take the camera to places I would not normally (like in my pc backpack for work.) And lastly lastly, you can't help but love the tiny yet perfectly formed thing, with it's unique lenscap!! No-brainer

Tony

PS I also have the Sigma 105mm for macro, and I find this also works well as a "normal" lens

Comment by TonyM posted on Da 35mm vs DA 40mm at 11/09/2009 - 16:34

TonyM
Also agree with HG. The idea is to C&C, so this is part of it.

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Re-editing others' pictures at 11/09/2009 - 09:29

TonyM
Please take all the liberties you want I take the point about sharpening - I did try pushing it a bit more, but I've become paranoid of late about oversharpening! As for your last, we've now got trains and planes, anyone care for a shot from an automobile (as a passenger of course:wink

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Are these any good? at 11/09/2009 - 07:53

TonyM
OK, first time I've submitted here! Been travelling between Swindon and Reading a lot by train and I'm always impressed by the sight of the cooling towers at Didcot. So yesterday I remembered my GX20 plus Pentax 40mm ltd and had a go out of the (open) window. Out of 40 or so, these were all that I thought had any interest - but am I just coming up with an excuse for the embarrassment of stopping a load of commuters getting out of the door!!?! (BTW, the last was a goods train that was leaving as we were pulling in and for a few seconds our speeds locked. I tried to get the effect of the train appearing to be still whilst the track moved beneath it...)

Tony

[IMG]http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/Stereoflab/_G203656.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/Stereoflab/_G203662.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/Stereoflab/_G203671.jpg[/IMG]

Comment by TonyM posted on Are these any good? at 10/09/2009 - 18:04

TonyM
Jack

You should have included a vote - natural or smooth!! I downloaded a trial of some portrait software once and my 5 year old duaghter insisted every last mark or line was removed - they all want to look like supermodels!

Cheers

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Our Jennifer at 25/08/2009 - 21:41

TonyM
Ah! Proof!!!! Clearly (pun intended) a bit more than spot removal!!!

Comment by TonyM posted on Our Jennifer at 25/08/2009 - 20:30

TonyM
Jack, a nice shot. Interestingly, I thought at first you had overdone it with the clarity slider, given your comments, as I do feel, like Paul, that the skin texture has gone somewhat. The thing I'm not so keen on is the tight composition. If you had moved back a tad then the whole of her head would have been in shot and the hands/arms would have been more clearly identified. But that's personal choice - you've captured expression in her eye's and that's the most important thing to me.

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Our Jennifer at 25/08/2009 - 20:27

TonyM
I use Eneloops in my flash and Kodak video-recorder. No more dead batteries if you leave it for a few weeks!

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Battery Life K200 at 24/08/2009 - 07:40

TonyM
A good angle - knowing the place and having seen your previous work this was not a surprise. Looking more closely, I wonder whether you're up to some PP? The lettering on the top could be emphasised with some (painstaking!) dodging, or even a black/grey paintbrush? Maybe this would add a more precise focus with the words emanating from the centre?

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Brirtish Museum at 21/08/2009 - 22:12

TonyM
I agree with Pauly. Of course, I only saw no. 2 AFTER no. 1, so in pure scientific terms this is probably not a good test. What we need is a completely new set of participants viewing them in the other order - and probably with a low-key version for further balance!

(Perhaps there is no "right"!?)

Tony

Comment by TonyM posted on Left to Right or Right to Left? at 21/08/2009 - 22:01

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo