Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Re-editing others' pictures

This topic has a poll - login to enter
ChrisA
Posted 11/09/2009 - 08:21 Link
When someone's posted a picture, in 'Your Pictures', I tend to wonder about the etiquette of downloading it, editing it in some way, and then reposting it, in order to illustrate some discussion point.

I'll usually post the edited version as a [link], not an [IMG], since I tend to feel that it's potentially a bit intrusive to post another immediately visible picture on someone's thread, but I'm not sure if I'm concerned unnecessarily.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Edited by moderator: 11/09/2009 - 12:14
gartmore
Posted 11/09/2009 - 08:34 Link
There seems to be a concensus that 'Your Photos' is where people post for C+C and in a visual medium it certainly makes sense to show pictures to illustrate suggested changes.

Personally, I have no objection to people editing and showing their changes and suggestions to my work. On a few occassions I have been very grateful for it.

It certainly seems tactful to post a link but I voted yes to the first question. It'll be interesting to what the general view is.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Thordell
Posted 11/09/2009 - 08:51 Link
Generally I would not unless asked to do so by the person who took the original. I recently did this and sent it by PM the recipient did not mind and posted it in the forum. I think one should not unless requested.
Hardgravity
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:20 Link
I've received c+c, and had pictures adjusted by others to show the difference.

I wouldn't post if I didn't want this to happen.

If an image is there then a reasonable assumption is that it could be altered to show a point. It's courtesy to ask first, but hey...

Otherwise why post?
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
davex
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:23 Link
Agree with HG
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
TonyM
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:29 Link
Also agree with HG. The idea is to C&C, so this is part of it.

Tony
Father Ted
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:31 Link
Hardgravity wrote:
I've received c+c, and had pictures adjusted by others to show the difference.

I wouldn't post if I didn't want this to happen.

If an image is there then a reasonable assumption is that it could be altered to show a point. It's courtesy to ask first, but hey...

Otherwise why post?

Couldn't have put it better.

Sometimes I get lost with the explanation, then someone does it and posts the results and suddenley I know what they are saying.

To be honest, speaking for myself, you don't even need to ask first. I ask for C&C and am willing to accept it in any form.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
terje-l
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:33 Link
Second that - I would certainly not object to have my images edited. Part of the learning process. However, this applies to the Your Photos section. The Gallery section is a different matter.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Father Ted
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:34 Link
I've just voted, but one caviat springs to mind.
The poll doesn't suggest where we are taking the photos from.

I think it would be OK to do this in "Your Photos" where, I think we agree, the emphasis is on C&C, but it wouldn't be so acceptable to do this with images in "The Gallery".

(IMHO)

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Father Ted
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:34 Link
Terry just beat me to it

fatspider
Posted 11/09/2009 - 09:48 Link
I voted Yes, showing a changed image is much better than line after line of boring text describing why and how, especially in the case of newbies who may flounder a bit with technical photoshop jargon.

I think most people have the common sense to realise why and see the benefits of this process, I cant honestly see why anyone would object, but there are some strange folk about so theres bound to be the occasional complainant.
Marcus1
Posted 11/09/2009 - 11:07 Link
I have voted yes as a link. I feel that several versions of the original, side by side, is confusing and turns it into more of a competion. I would prefer to form a view, without prejudging or influence. Then compare it with the views of others before making a comment or suggestions. More often than not, I make no comment, but learn a great deal from the comments and suggestions of others and viewing the edited image is best.
I guess most are happy with constructive critism, a bit of tuition and encouragement, just occaisionally it appears a little harsh, this maybe more to do with the 'tone' and personalities. The existing system suits me fine A picture paints a thousand words
K10D 50-200mm, 18-55mm, Battery Grip, AF360FGZ flash, Manfrotto Tripod.
Other stuff includes Programme A, Takumar 70-200mm, Rollei Prega 145AF - Still in its box, Pentax Zoom 105R,Olympus OM2n,a Fuji Digital Finepix.
MattMatic
Posted 11/09/2009 - 11:28 Link
When I've modded in the past, I put the image on a hosting site (used to use PBase) with a link back to the original post and credit. Then I'd provide a link to that page (so you saw the image + credits + link).

I normally use common sense - if the poster is asking for C&C and it is apparent they can take the suggestions (and assuming I can improve it), then I go ahead. No one has complained yet in all my years of doing this, but if they did then I'd remove the mod immediately.

Now ePHOTOzine has the ability to provide modded images (though the original poster has to be an e2 member and enable the flag to allow mod updates) I haven't done quite so many as in years past...

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
johnriley
Posted 11/09/2009 - 11:28 Link
My opinion is no need to ask fist if help is obviously being sought, but if anyone wants a modification removed then they can say so and it can easily be removed. No harm done in any event.

TBH I find links a bit of a bind as I'm looking at so many posts that the slightest delay and detour starts to add up the time spent....my goodness how our sense of time has changed since the Royal Mail was the only way!
bforbes
Posted 11/09/2009 - 11:33 Link
Voted yes. "A picture speaks a thousand words".

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.