All Forum Comments
Comment by PeteL posted on Recommended suppliers of equipment at 27/09/2009 - 17:37
Comment by PeteL posted on Disappointed with my K10D Today at 27/09/2009 - 17:14
There comes a point where no AF system can cope. Try shooting TT bikes at close range.
All you can do is pre-focus and hope you press the shutter at the right moment. I eventually found I could do it by ear with a 50/50 chance of success.
G
I had hoped to try out the autofocus on a Cycle race this summer but many were cancelled around here because of a dispute with the Police. Maybe i can get to a Revolution Meeting at Manchester Velodrome this Winter otherwise i`ll have to wait until the next Race Season.
Best Regards - Pete.
Comment by PeteL posted on Disappointed with my K10D Today at 27/09/2009 - 17:04
I used to think a digital LX would be a good idea after using a *1stD and latter the K10D. But I think the K-7 is getting fairly close to the old LX magic.
I really did miss the excellent interchangeable viewfinder system on my LX while trying to manually focus a long lens in poor light on the K10D, (although I would probably have more trouble with the LX now my eyesight is not what it was) – Since upgrading to the K-7 I miss the LX a little bit less. I don’t know if it’s just the shape of the pentaprism but the K-7 seems to have a bit of an LX feel to it. Using live view has allowed me to start putting the M 400m f5.6 to some use again ...now if only the LCD could be tilted I wouldn’t miss the LX action finder so much
Regards - Pete
Comment by PeteL posted on Digital LX anyone ? at 27/09/2009 - 10:36
Nice Pics! The one with ? is a De Havilland Tiger Moth by the way.
Regards - Pete.
P.S I can sit on the Beach every day and Photograph Aircraft.
But you have me on the sandstorm as we don`t get many of those!
Cheers!
Comment by PeteL posted on Air show Oz style at 27/09/2009 - 09:28
In short it allows you to decrease ambient light using less flash power. It also helps reduce blur seen from ambient light tat might otherwise be frozen by flash.
More explanation...
It helps to understand a bit how the shutter works in these conditions... hopefully I do the expatiation some justice...
Basically the shutter has two "curtains". One opens to allow the sensor to be exposed. A second "curtain" closes to stop exposure. At the maximum sync speed the entire sensor is exposed.
On Pentax this maximum is 1/180 second. Anything faster requires that the second curtain starts closing BEFORE the first curtain is fully opened. This results, at the highest speed, only a small sliver of the sensor being exposed at any given time.
When you use flash, the flash is much faster than most shutter speeds. So Shutter speed will not affect the exposure from the flash. You need to control that with aperture (or with flash power, but lets assume flash power is consistent for now - to make things easier).
If the higest sync speed is 1/180, recall this means the smallest amount of time possible to fully expose the sensor at one time, the flash will therefore affect the entire sensor.
Go any higher than 1/180 on a Pentax and only a small portion of the sensor will see the flash. So you will start getting a dark band on one end of the frame. The fast the shutter speed, the larger the dark band becomes.
This can be used to great effect on other camera brands, but unfortunately Pentax has crippled the camera to not allow normal flash above 1/180 second. ARGH!!!
To work around the issue of getting a dark band, you need to use High Speed flash. This pulses the flash so that the sensor sees some amount of flash throughout the exposure. Of course this means the final flash power is much lower such that multiple flashes can be produced from a single charge.
Higher end cameras will allow the sensor to be exposed down to 1/250 or even lower periods of time.
This is really nice for photographing where you want to bring down the ambient light, for example the sun.
When using flash, ambient light is controlled by the shutter. So you can decrease the sunlight to near darkness and your flash will still properly illuminate the subject .
The difference between 1/180 and 1/250 is pretty minor (1/3 stop??) and I wouldn't worry much about it, but a camera with 1/500 or 1/1000 sync speed can create some interesting images using significantly less flash power.
Even though flash may be as fast as 1/20000, the ambient light may cause the subject to expose enough to leave blur and trails. A faster sync speed helps eliminate some of the blur visible from ambient light.
I just really wish Pentax would allow the hotshoe to fire a flash with higher sync speeds. Sometimes that dark band can be used for creative control and be a desired effect!
Best Regards - Pete.
Comment by PeteL posted on PTTL-HSS mode at 27/09/2009 - 00:20
If you would like to focus manually then you could try one of the replacement sceens by Katzeyelink with a split circle in the centre.
Regards - Pete.
Comment by PeteL posted on K20d vs K7: AF with poor light at 26/09/2009 - 23:53
One thing i do remember was that there was an awful lot of waiting around as the cars completed each lap and them panic! As they roared into view i`d be frantically trying to compose the shot before they were gone in a moment.
Best of luck.
Regards - Pete
Comment by PeteL posted on Formula One question at 26/09/2009 - 20:11
Perhaps one day when i`m older and greyer just to show the grandchildren how photographs were once made. I might even drag my Vivitar enlarger down from the loft. Though the paper and chemicals might be a bit off by then!
Regards - Pete.
Comment by PeteL posted on Going back to film at 26/09/2009 - 19:30
Regards - Pete.
Comment by PeteL posted on Enhancing light rays, or reflections in post processing at 26/09/2009 - 15:06


Hi all,
Not wishing to put a damper on this thread, but I think a word of warning is in order...
Just to say, as good as both MXV and Ffordes have been in the past, I would say to anyone buying items from either of them, to check the items with a very fine tooth comb. I have had to return more than three lenses to both of these dealers within the last few months due to them not properly inspecting them. Some of the lenses had very obvious faults which had been missed. I get the distinct impression that both of these dealers are skimping on checking items properly.
They do give no quibble refunds, but it still takes time and some cost to return items. Ffordes also seem quite prone to often sending incorrect items.
I recently rang MXV about three Minolta MD lenses they had listed...two were marked MINT- and one was marked EXC++. I asked the sales guy to check them closely while I was on the phone....guess what...one had clear coating marks and another had internal haze, so whoever graded them in the first place clearly did not look very closely....so be warned.
Cheers Steve.
Regards - Pete.
PS I`m surprised SRS aren`t up there as i have had great service from them and they stock a lot of Pentax bits that others don`t